Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    RobbH, that sounded promising, but I think the warning at the web UI about unsupported plugins is probably well advisedŚI installed these two to give them a whirl, and LMS promptly crashed, which I think is the first time for years it's done this. So I uninstalled. Shame.
    That's probably the wiser course. You might notice there's another thread here in which I complain about some recent crashes, myself. Some were probably caused by a problem with the SSD that holds my library. But that's been corrected, and another crash followed not long after.

On the other hand, it's been several days now since that crash, and I've had no problems (so far!) with the most recent nightly builds of LMS 8.2. And I've been able to enjoy the benefits of these plugins: easily switching between different random definitions and excluding unwanted genres, even when some files have multiple genre tags that may overlap with the included genres.

I am NOT suggesting you try these again. Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take and how much you value the potential benefit. All I can tell you is that these plugins work for me most of the time and so far the problems I occasionally encounter (which may or may not be connected to the plugins) have not persuaded me to ditch them.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

I've also had some crashes since installing those plugins, but they have not been frequent.

Thanks for the comments RobbH and benh. Think I'll err on the side of caution and leave them uninstalled for now.

Is there a way that one of the great minds here on the forum could reconfigure the existing Random Mix feature to incorporate multiple choices? Or make new versions of the SQL and Dynamic plugins? In a safe, non-crashing kind of way?

Thanks for the comments RobbH and benh. Think I'll err on the side of caution and leave them uninstalled for now.

Is there a way that one of the great minds here on the forum could reconfigure the existing Random Mix feature to incorporate multiple choices? Or make new versions of the SQL and Dynamic plugins? In a safe, non-crashing kind of way?
    While we wait to hear from the great minds (and there are some here), I'll just mention that you can achieve some of what you want through the use of Library Views. That capability is already built into recent versions of LMS, so nothing to install. Just do an advanced search for what you want random mix to draw from and save it as a Library View. Then set up Random Mix to pull from that Library View.

You can still only have one Random Mix defined at a time, but it makes it much easier to switch to a different one.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

I wonder if the crashes after installing SQL and Dynamic playlist pluggins is OS related. I use both these on my Windows installs and have never had a crash issue. With the SQL pluggin I even edit the generated SQL to filter on BPM for use on the treadmill to set a pace.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Could be. I haven't been tracking in any real detail, but I had some crashes around the time I installed those plugins, but none really since, and I have been using my created dynamic playlists somewhat.

I'm running the official Docker version on a Linux VM.

Right now, I'm not certain there's an issue, only some coincidental problems that seem related to similar problems others have had. In any case, for me, it's not (presently) a frequent or recurring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    While we wait to hear from the great minds (and there are some here), I'll just mention that you can achieve some of what you want through the use of Library Views. That capability is already built into recent versions of LMS, so nothing to install. Just do an advanced search for what you want random mix to draw from and save it as a Library View. Then set up Random Mix to pull from that Library View.

You can still only have one Random Mix defined at a time, but it makes it much easier to switch to a different one.
    That's interesting. I can see how to make an advanced search in the web UI, and let's say I just choose Spotify as the genre, but I can't see how to save it as a Library View (or anything else).

That's interesting. I can see how to make an advanced search in the web UI, and let's say I just choose Spotify as the genre, but I can't see how to save it as a Library View (or anything else).
    If you're using the Default UI, it isn't very intuitive, I've set out the steps in the link below, change the search criteria to suit.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post968966
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    If you're using the Default UI, it isn't very intuitive, I've set out the steps in the link below, change the search criteria to suit.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post968966
    Ah, I see. I think I'd go so far as to say very unintuitive. But now I have the instructions I've set up a saved search as a Library View. Will report back.

Oh well, a few more faltering steps. Having set up the saved search as a Library View, it wasn't clear what to do with it.

I added Library Views to the menus on my SB3, and... er, then what? Made that the current view, fiddled around a bit more, and discovered that this was now what would play from Random Mix. And it works really well!

So, this now does what I set out to do. Fantastic!

And this is what I find so brilliant and so infuriating about Squeezeboxes and LMS.

Brilliant, because it can do things I never knew it could. The system is constantly surprising in its abilities. And, cliche though it may be, those surprises are made clearer and indeed obtainable by the clever people lurking around this forum.

Infuriating, because I wish there was some more direct way to find out about this stuff. Yes, the forum helps enormously. But it's often a deep dig to find the stuff you want. If only there was a comprehensive written guide. But I know that will never happen. Who would write such a thing?

Oh well, that was rather a longer answer than I'd intended. Thanks so much, as usual, to everyone who helped. Now I'm off to listen to my 3,500-or-so Spotify tracks now playing in wonderful randomness.