Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    It's a good product. It fills a specific need. No one else makes a worthy substitute. Sound familiar?

Anyway, I bought a backup this morning.
    Does it ever sound familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    I still use my Harmony 880 which I bought about 18 years ago. They were a Canadian company started around 2001 and had amazing customer service. I recall setting up my Tact digital room correction system, digital amps and other gear over the phone with a tech support person. He accessed my account and settings and implemented new settings on the fly for me. It wasn't the same after Logitech acquired them of course. Fortunately by then I didn't need support.
    Edit: I too just ordered a 665 backup.
    My first Harmony was an 880. Probably my favorite and I hated when it died. I currently have a One, a 650, and a Touch. I hope they last as long as Logitech's support for them. I'm afraid they will outlive the support.

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    Oh no! The Harmony Companion is second best gadget I ever had.

We all know thatĺs numbers one.

Skickat frňn min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Agree. But this time I fear there is no community like all the guys around here who have kept the Squeezebox system going.

This certainly makes one appreciate all the work that Michael and many others have done. Thanks again to all of you folks!

Quote Originally Posted by TomAmes View Post
    ...But this time I fear there is no community like all the guys around here who have kept the Squeezebox system going.
    Logitech did say that while no new remotes will be made, that they will keep the system going, including continuing to update the database.
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Logitech did say that while no new remotes will be made, that they will keep the system going, including continuing to update the database.
    I wonder how long they'll continue to sink those costs with no revenue from sales (however small that was).

Quote Originally Posted by tw99 View Post
    I wonder how long they'll continue to sink those costs with no revenue from sales (however small that was).
    Squeezeserver is still up. This Forum is still up. I suspect the Harmony server will be up for a long time (even if they stop updating the database)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Quote Originally Posted by tw99 View Post
    It's been seven years since they discontinued the Smart Radio, and here we all are still.

Logitech is done making Harmony remotes

> I wonder how long they'll continue to sink those costs with no revenue
    > from sales (however small that was).

Bad press/image doesn't come for free either!...

I don't have a harmony remote but the eulogies tell me I should get one. The only ones I can on Amazon are used/vg, is it worthwhile to take the risk? Sold by a third party, but actually shipped by Amazon.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I don't have a harmony remote but the eulogies tell me I should get one. The only ones I can on Amazon are used/vg, is it worthwhile to take the risk? Sold by a third party, but actually shipped by Amazon.

R.
    Check other retailers. I got my backup at Best Buy in the US
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

i have a Harmony 1000 on the shelf. Didn't know what to do with it as my setup changed to iphone/ipad

Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Maybe a lone dissenting voice, but I never really got on with my Harmony remote. After struggling to get it working in the way I wanted I ended up buying some One-for-All (UIC) remotes which can be very flexibly re-programmed / hacked using a home made adaptor and "JP1" software. [To be honest I've no idea whether you can still buy the (unofficially) programmable types - see update] - I bought several end-of-line One for All 5's at ú15 / piece some years back, and although they tend to die after a few year's hard use (or children playing with the battery cover ) my stock is still going, but the JP1 programming site still seems to be alive and active.

Although at first sight they're far less sophisticated (and far less expensive) than the Harmony range I've never found any IR device I couldn't control with a JP1-hacked OFA remote. Their only snag is a tendancy to run out of memory if you try to get too clever, but kept simple they work very well.

More JP1 details HERE

Phil

UPDATE - In the UK the One-for-All "Contour 8" is available for ú15, controls up to eight devices and is JP1-programmable. May buy a couple as the design looks a bit better than my old OFA-5's

At that price it is worth getting and just seeing how it works. I have just got one. I see that the devices it has codes for include VCR but not a PVR (mine is a Humax Fox T2). But I am sure the JP1 forums will give instructions for those.