Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    At that price it is worth getting and just seeing how it works. I have just got one. I see that the devices it has codes for include VCR but not a PVR (mine is a Humax Fox T2). But I am sure the JP1 forums will give instructions for those.
    I was a bit surprised by this, as my OFA remotes have all included factory codes for Humax PVRs. I think the answer is that for some reason they now categorise them under "Sat / DVB-T", and a quick look on their web support code-search pages ( HERE ) shows codes 2443 / 1176 / 2408 as candidates.

I've found the OFA remotes work pretty well for most things without delving into the JP1 interface and making up the cable isn't completely trivial, but if you do venture there then they can do some very impressive things - however you do then have to remember the clever things you've assigned to each button or "shifted" button, so after heartfelt protests from the rest of the family I've ended up with Keep It Simple, Stupid as the guiding principle!

On a different note, have you discovered the incredibly useful Custom Firmware for the Humax HD-Fox T2 / HDR-Fox T2 boxes? Start HERE for a way to totally transform the box!
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    I was a bit surprised by this, as my OFA remotes have all included factory codes for Humax PVRs. I think the answer is that for some reason they now categorise them under "Sat / DVB-T", and a quick look on their web support code-search pages ( HERE ) shows codes 2443 / 1176 / 2408 as candidates.
    That would explain it. I hadn't got that far yet/.
    I've found the OFA remotes work pretty well for most things without delving into the JP1 interface and making up the cable isn't completely trivial, but if you do venture there then they can do some very impressive things - however you do then have to remember the clever things you've assigned to each button or "shifted" button, so after heartfelt protests from the rest of the family I've ended up with Keep It Simple, Stupid as the guiding principle!
    Yes, remembering might be tricky. Anyway, it's only around ú5 for the bits (from China on eBay) and could be fun trying[/QUOTE]

On a different note, have you discovered the incredibly useful Custom Firmware for the Humax HD-Fox T2 / HDR-Fox T2 boxes? Start HERE for a way to totally transform the box!
    Yes, it makes a rel difference. Strongly recommended for anyone who has one o these. And it's a good reason not to go for a fancier model, as there hasn't been custom firmware for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Check other retailers. I got my backup at Best Buy in the US
    Yea I canceled my used Amazon backup when I saw ebay had new ones from BB.

They don't have my exact model so got to decide between the companion and elite

I continue to be very sad after Logitech's decision to stop selling the Harmony remote.

I quickly looked at the One For All site, but I'm afraid it might not be a real alternative. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no remote controls with screens.

Nothing better than the screen to make the use simple. When we read "subtitles" on the screen, we know that we will for example activate / deactivate the subtitles on a multimedia player. It is much much better than remembering which remote control button has been assigned which function (with an unrelated name).

Quote Originally Posted by Franck@ View Post
    I continue to be very sad after Logitech's decision to stop selling the Harmony remote.

I quickly looked at the One For All site, but I'm afraid it might not be a real alternative. Unless I'm mistaken, there are no remote controls with screens.

Nothing better than the screen to make the use simple. When we read "subtitles" on the screen, we know that we will for example activate / deactivate the subtitles on a multimedia player. It is much much better than remembering which remote control button has been assigned which function (with an unrelated name).
    Yes, I think you are right, and the One For All may have been a mistake for the reasons you give. Unfortunately it came in one of those plastic containers that have to be destroyed to get into them, so I can't return it.

But it only cost a few pounds, so no great problem.

The Harmony strikes me as too expensive to make sense. Having a bunch of remotes to use rather than just one is annoying but I find it hard to justify the cost of a Harmony for myself, and wonder why anyone would pay that much.

Come on everybody-it could be a lot worse. Logitech could be dropping other things if you catch my drift. I don't want to say it out loud.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    Yes, I think you are right, and the One For All may have been a mistake for the reasons you give. Unfortunately it came in one of those plastic containers that have to be destroyed to get into them, so I can't return it.

But it only cost a few pounds, so no great problem.

The Harmony strikes me as too expensive to make sense. Having a bunch of remotes to use rather than just one is annoying but I find it hard to justify the cost of a Harmony for myself, and wonder why anyone would pay that much.
    At one time you could get the hub and the smart remote for under $60.0. And even that basic model had lots of undocumented features like voice control on Android tv or fire tv. Google never got this fully working last time I checked but the hub could do it with programming on your part. It could do automations like turning the tv on when you walk in the back door after a certain time, etc. Harmony never advertised this because this was for techies not your average consumer.

The setup software was a pain and it would say it can't do that when it could- you just had to know how to "lie" back at it. Once I learned the tricks , I realized Harmony was much better than what was advertised.

Logitech has some really nice technology, it's just they don't know how to get the word out.

Just read this in Wired:
    How the Smart Remote Lost Its Way
    https://www.wired.com/story/logitech...e-lost-its-way

It mentions a guy that repairs Harmony Remotes:
    https://www.harmonyremoterepair.com/#/
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

Pretty fond of the Hub I got running for controlling TV, set-top box and Dune media player. I am somewhat annoyed though about the fact that it requires internet access to allow LAN access through the phone app and home automation services. Never really understood why LMS requires me to connect to a Logitech account as well and here is all the political fuzz about Huawei and Xiaomi allegedly spying on whatever users of their hardware do.

So did anyone ever research what it sends and expects in return? Knowing that would allow setting up a fake web server and not needing to worry that it may be taken down at some point (like Zappiti did with their Dune indexing app).

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Never really understood why LMS requires me to connect to a Logitech account as well
    That can be disabled by you. Although if a lot of people did it then Logitech may well decide that there is no longer a justification for keeping mysqueezebox.com running and so all of the services that still rely on it would stop working for everyone else.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland