Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Got a new (to me) Touch yesterday and while it was squirrely out of the box , getting the community firmware updates make it work like new . Thanks for keeping this alive!

I have not had a proper stereo in many years. I see very inexpensive rec/amps on Amazon but I am sure there is some kind of catch.

We have a bookshelf/desk/cabinet next to our fireplace and that is where we have a cheap all in one located currently.

Want to replace it with the touch and a rec/amp or just an amp. I don't need something super powerful or expensive but I don't want junk ether.

What are good brands to look for these days??

Thanks
    If you're starting from scratch, I'd consider something like the JBL 308P active speakers.

Got a new (to me) Touch yesterday and while it was squirrely out of the box , getting the community firmware updates make it work like new . Thanks for keeping this alive!

I have not had a proper stereo in many years. I see very inexpensive rec/amps on Amazon but I am sure there is some kind of catch.

We have a bookshelf/desk/cabinet next to our fireplace and that is where we have a cheap all in one located currently.

Want to replace it with the touch and a rec/amp or just an amp. I don't need something super powerful or expensive but I don't want junk ether.

What are good brands to look for these days??

Thanks
    You can see marantz pm6006 or denon pma 800
    My touch is connected to a denon pma 1600 (I use denon DAC) and I'm very satisfied.

For my Office (and a very small investment) I've purchase a class D amplifier (<20Ç and lonpoo speaker <70Ç) with DAC32,
    Last edited by rodry; 2021-04-14 at 04:58. Reason: Remove attach
    Living Room: Squeezebox Boom
    Living Room: 1 Squeezebox Touch
    bedroom: 2 Squeezebox Touch
    Bed Room: Squeezebox Radio
    Daughter Room: Hifi-Berry Dac with squeezelite
    Office: Dac32

OK I found some very small bookshelf speakers and they should be on the way soon. Good for 40 watts which is plenty for me.

Now just have to find the amp and I am set. I was going to ask if any of these smaller amps have tuners but other than internet outage it is not really needed.
    For the amp, if the Touch is normally the only input, I'd just look for a small Class D as others have mentioned. IME the biggest concern is usually what they look like, including the lighting (so many inexpensive amps have lighted knobs & bright LEDs in dreadful colors, really terrible for WAF in the living room). And I'd consider a "2.1" amp (one with a subwoofer output) -- with a sub you can get away with pleasantly small bookshelf speakers.

For radio... have you seen SharkPlay? I have no idea what its status is, but back when the local FM stations only streamed low bitrate MP3, I had a v1 RadioShark connected to my LMS server so that each Squeezebox could play local radio. Now the local stations stream in decent quality so I unplugged my USB tuner years ago.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    For the amp, if the Touch is normally the only input, I'd just look for a small Class D as others have mentioned. IME the biggest concern is usually what they look like, including the lighting (so many inexpensive amps have lighted knobs & bright LEDs in dreadful colors, really terrible for WAF in the living room). And I'd consider a "2.1" amp (one with a subwoofer output) -- with a sub you can get away with pleasantly small bookshelf speakers.

For radio... have you seen SharkPlay? I have no idea what its status is, but back when the local FM stations only streamed low bitrate MP3, I had a v1 RadioShark connected to my LMS server so that each Squeezebox could play local radio. Now the local stations stream in decent quality so I unplugged my USB tuner years ago.
    Yea that is what I went for now to get me going, the one that is linked earlier in the the thread (SABAJ A3). I have another use for it if it doesn't work out for this purpose.

Had no idea about Sharkplay. And I have a usb fm tuner and a pci hauppauge with fm tuner so this might work for me.

Thanks....

Amp

A small form amp worth considering if $700 is not over budget could be the PS Audio Sprout. I've heard one and they are really good and their size belies their power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibster View Post
    A small form amp worth considering if $700 is not over budget could be the PS Audio Sprout. I've heard one and they are really good and their size belies their power.
    The PS Audio Sprout 100 is certainly a good choice.
    Not only does it sound good it's also a good fit with the Touch.
    Name:  kopie.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  228.7 KB

Why not dump the SBT and get a SqueezeAMP?

I ended up going with this no name amp mentioned earlier in the thread. I originally wanted a Yamaha but it's covid unavailable. Same with the other amp mentioned (LOXJIE A30). And I was lucky to get this amp because the morning after I ordered they were all gone. I ended with tiny bookshelf speakers that sounded so good, I got a couple more for our home office when I get around to that.

Anyway the only negs so far about this amp is it does not have a sub out and also uses Oled display rather than lcd. But that is easy fix because you set it to time out after 30 seconds and no worries around it going dim.

I like this amp but may get one with a sub out and put this one in the home office later. ....

thanks for all the suggestions....
    Attached Images Attached Images