Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teebee
    • Apr 2020

classic v3 or wait for touch

I've been monitoring sales of old squeezebox products and now a Classic v3 has popped up close to where I live. Should I get it or wait till I see a Touch? Will be connected to a reciever. Seems to be upgraded with new psu and analog ports.
    SB Radio x2, SB Duet, Squeezelite, SB Player, Squeezer, LMS 8.0.0 on Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)
  • d6jg
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by teebee
    I've been monitoring sales of old squeezebox products and now a Classic v3 has popped up close to where I live. Should I get it or wait till I see a Touch? Will be connected to a reciever. Seems to be upgraded with new psu and analog ports.
    The Touch is quite a bit better than Classic.
    The Touch will play 24/96 (or 24/192 with the EDO plugin) whereas the Classic is limited to 24/48.
    Whether you can detect the difference will depend mainly on the quality of what you are plugging it into.
    Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• Redrum
      • Oct 2009

you could buy the classic now, start enjoying, and keep your eye out for a reasonable touch or other options (like building a pi with a display). Then, either store, or deploy the classic to another room or friend.

Its what I have done (for good or bad). I started with a duet, bought more receivers, then a touch, then a boom, then a radio, then more...still not done, I think. I, like you, still monitor what is on the secondary market.

Extra players provide allot of options, including deploying squeezebox systems to friends that have admired yours. For a few friends I have configured a picore LMS server with one of my spare players for the cost of the hardware. They seem happy.

Jim

Comment

• Apesbrain
        • Jun 2005

I enjoyed a Classic for many years prior to the Touch coming on the scene. Ran it into an outboard DAC and it sounded great. Highest "res" files I have are 24/96 and IIRC LMS will resample them to 24/48 for the Classic to play. The Classic will natively play MP3 and FLAC, among others. Enjoy!

EDIT: Depending on the cost and if you plan to use your phone/tablet for control, you might consider the DAC32:
        Last edited by Apesbrain; 2021-04-08, 15:19.

Comment

• peterw
          • Oct 2005

While I love the SB2/SB3/Classic players (that magnificent, large but understated screen! the system stability!) and, all things being equal, would prefer an SB3 to a Touch, I'd try to find out how long the SB3 had been powered on. I've begun to see capacitor problems with my oldest, longest-running SB3s -- one has bad analog output although digital out is still OK, another spontaneously reboots when playing music -- but my SB2/SB3 that spent years in storage seem fine (other than the nasty surface stickiness on my beloved SB1G and SB2). If the SB3 has been plugged in for the last decade then even if the output and screen are OK today, I think there's a significant chance you'll run into capacitor trouble in the next couple years. But maybe they addressed that with that player's analog out upgrade? Sure, the capacitor repair looks pretty straightforward for those with good soldering skills, but it's something to consider. (I don't know if the Touch design is any better or if it's just that units haven't been in the field long enough to have seen this trouble.)

I would say that if you're skilled enough to replace capacitors in an SB3, you're skilled enough to build a nice touchscreen piCorePlayer. But although I like the form factor of my 7" touchscreen pCP more than that of my Touch, my Touch has been a much more stable platform than my touchscreen pCP. My new-ish pCP doesn't hang very often, but it hangs far more often than my old Touch ever did, even with periodic scheduled restarts of the jivelite GUI.
          owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
          (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
          Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
          Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
          FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
          SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• d6jg
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by peterw
            While I love the SB2/SB3/Classic players (that magnificent, large but understated screen! the system stability!) and, all things being equal, would prefer an SB3 to a Touch, I'd try to find out how long the SB3 had been powered on. I've begun to see capacitor problems with my oldest, longest-running SB3s -- one has bad analog output although digital out is still OK, another spontaneously reboots when playing music -- but my SB2/SB3 that spent years in storage seem fine (other than the nasty surface stickiness on my beloved SB1G and SB2). If the SB3 has been plugged in for the last decade then even if the output and screen are OK today, I think there's a significant chance you'll run into capacitor trouble in the next couple years. But maybe they addressed that with that player's analog out upgrade? Sure, the capacitor repair looks pretty straightforward for those with good soldering skills, but it's something to consider. (I don't know if the Touch design is any better or if it's just that units haven't been in the field long enough to have seen this trouble.)

I would say that if you're skilled enough to replace capacitors in an SB3, you're skilled enough to build a nice touchscreen piCorePlayer. But although I like the form factor of my 7" touchscreen pCP more than that of my Touch, my Touch has been a much more stable platform than my touchscreen pCP. My new-ish pCP doesn't hang very often, but it hangs far more often than my old Touch ever did, even with periodic scheduled restarts of the jivelite GUI.
            I agree about the Pi Touchscreen which is why I tend to have a Pi based player coupled with an adjacent O2 Joggler as a now playing / control screen. For a long time I had an SB3 with display suppressed coupled with a Joggler in my Living Room.

EDIT. SWMBO really appreciates the clock aspect of the Joggler when not playing. It's very easy to see from a long distance away.
            Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
            Dining Room SB Radio
            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
            Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• peterw
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by d6jg
              SWMBO really appreciates the clock aspect of the Joggler when not playing. It's very easy to see from a long distance away.
              I've been criticized for almost never printing the digital pictures I've taken over the years, so I set up Erland's Custom Clock screensaver and a web application on my LMS host to display ever-changing vacation photos with captions alongside the time and weather info from SuperDateTime on my pCP, which I think we're both pretty happy with. The actual audio output is from a SB Receiver because I haven't gotten around to soldering my Pi DAC and drilling holes in the case for RCA jacks.
              owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
              (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
              Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
              Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
              FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
              SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

Working...