Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Is it possible to convert Sondigo Sirocco to squeezebox?

Just found in cupboard my old Sondigo Sirocco and I wonder if it's somehow possible to hack it and convert to SqueezeBox player. It is wireless audio bridge after all so on paper (for h/w noob like me) has all ingredients : audio card.. Analog /digital outs.. Wifi and Lan..

I did used it many years ago as wifi access point after it's original purpose become obsolete.

When logging in to realtek wlan webserver I can see CMEDIA WI-SONIC

Name:  DSC_0997.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  115.3 KB

Inside looks like that.. Maybe board been used in other devices and someone is familiar with it?

Name:  DSC_0995.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  197.8 KB

So yeah I'm probably being silly or/and naive but as I don't like throwing stuff away and finding new purposes for my gear is always preferred I did think to ask squeezebox hw guru's here..

Thanks!

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/arch...review?start=4
    Last edited by Jaca; 2021-04-07 at 17:39. Reason: added link to device info
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

If it is one of the devices that is supported by the OpenWRT alternate firmware then possibly yes. Other wise I doubt it.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If it is one of the devices that is supported by the OpenWRT alternate firmware then possibly yes. Other wise I doubt it.
    Don't think openwrt is an option as it's 16MB Ram device according to the article from link. Maybe some older openwrt version could work but Sondigo Sirocco (aka c-media wi-sonic) is so obscure I doubt anyone even tried openwrt install. Anyway it's not on official list. Although I have converted few bt home hubs into wrt I wouldn't know where to start with this device without detailed instructions like I had with BT hh.

I just wonder if it's somehow possible to install squeezelite on whatever this thing is running on.. How do I even go about checking? Article mentions port scan showed linux kernel 2.4 or 2.5 and busybox.. But how do I even try to check it.. Putty connections are refused.. What is port scan ?
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Don't think openwrt is an option as it's 16MB Ram device according to the article from link. Maybe some older openwrt version could work but Sondigo Sirocco (aka c-media wi-sonic) is so obscure I doubt anyone even tried openwrt install. Anyway it's not on official list. Although I have converted few bt home hubs into wrt I wouldn't know where to start with this device without detailed instructions like I had with BT hh.

I just wonder if it's somehow possible to install squeezelite on whatever this thing is running on.. How do I even go about checking? Article mentions port scan showed linux kernel 2.4 or 2.5 and busybox.. But how do I even try to check it.. Putty connections are refused.. What is port scan ?
    It has MIPs processor - so to port squeezelite you'd have to build squeezelite for a MIPS processor linked to a specific version of libc, hoping ALSA or OSS is on the system and a few other bits & pieces. To know exactly libraries are involved you need to get into the system and say look at boot log typically using either telnet over network or more likely directly. The smallsystembuilder article - implies access is available via rs232 serial port (maybe via solder pads on the mainboard).
    Typical investigation steps
    - can you copy any files onto the system ?
    - can you add steps into system startup.
    - what is the audio subsystem (i.e. acces to audio chip) e.g. ALSA, OSS ?
    - can you copy files (e.g.llibraries) from the device to be analysed

Is it possible to convert Sondigo Sirocco to squeezebox?

Well, the problem is that if your time is worth 1$/hour , I'm afraid it will take you more than 40 hours to get than to work, so getting a Pi will be a better deal. Unless you like the challenge for the sake of the challenge, knowing that it will be difficult to share it with others as it's unlikely that there are many of these units out there. Itĺs not a criticism but itĺs potentially a lot of work
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-04-09 at 21:15.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Thank you guys for bringing me down to earth
    I don't actually even need another player at the moment. It was more in terms of: it would be cool to repurpose /bring another lease of life to Sirocco. As I already have quite few questionable challenges going on (sometimes wonder if that's just creative way of procrastination from main goals ) I will pack this one with Sirocco and put it back in storage.

Maybe one day I will feel less out of my depth with this idea, but judging from your input, that's very very unlikely :-)

Thanks again !