Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Indeed, but this maybe makes it a little clearer for the less technically minded
    Thanks for the explanation. While I'm far from a luddite, and don't consider myself technically challenged, I do sometimes struggle with networking issues and the finer points of LMS.

Here's the final (manual) scan results. The playlists are back in the scan. And the number of tracks showing in the control panel has once again jumped to about 20k more than the actual number of tracks. So the tracks referenced in the playlist are definitely being added to the total count of tracks. Now that I understand the reasons for the mismatched count, I will leave the scanning to "look for new and changed media files" and let it run automatically once every twenty-four hours.

And just a note - before you tell me that there were 92 playlists originally and now there are 91 discovered and 89 scanned, I deleted one. And two of them are MusicBee playlists that are in the playlist directory, but are only readable by MusicBee. So it's not an issue.

Thanks again to all that helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Here's the final (manual) scan results. The playlists are back in the scan. And the number of tracks showing in the control panel has once again jumped to about 20k more than the actual number of tracks. So the tracks referenced in the playlist are definitely being added to the total count of tracks. Now that I understand the reasons for the mismatched count, I will leave the scanning to "look for new and changed media files" and let it run automatically once every twenty-four hours.

And just a note - before you tell me that there were 92 playlists originally and now there are 91 discovered and 89 scanned, I deleted one. And two of them are MusicBee playlists that are in the playlist directory, but are only readable by MusicBee. So it's not an issue.

Thanks again to all that helped me.
    Look at a playlist and you’ll probably find the tracks are not listed as in Z: but in \\server\path

If they are then you can correct the count without recreating the playlists by pointing LMS at \\server\path instead of Z: you can leave W: as it is or change that as well
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Look at a playlist and you’ll probably find the tracks are not listed as in Z: but in \\server\path

If they are then you can correct the count without recreating the playlists by pointing LMS at \\server\path instead of Z: you can leave W: as it is or change that as well
    You are correct in that the playlists point to the tracks as \\server\path.

And the playlist directory is W:\ which is now a mapped drive on the PC where MusicBee lives. For whatever reason, the PC where LMS lives wouldn't accept the UNC path either to the music files on the NAS (mapped as Z nor to the playlist directory on the other PC (mapped as W.

Everything seems to be working now. You know the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'm not going to change anything until it all goes south. Until then, there are playlists to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    You are correct in that the playlists point to the tracks as \\server\path.

And the playlist directory is W:\ which is now a mapped drive on the PC where MusicBee lives. For whatever reason, the PC where LMS lives wouldn't accept the UNC path either to the music files on the NAS (mapped as Z nor to the playlist directory on the other PC (mapped as W.

Everything seems to be working now. You know the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'm not going to change anything until it all goes south. Until then, there are playlists to listen to.
    On the LMS pc if you do Start, Run type \\server\path and press enter what happens?

Edit. Forget that, it will work. I’ve just remembered reading somewhere before that LMS on Windows doesn’t like UNC paths.

Medium term you may well be advised to move LMS to a Pi but keep your files on the NAS. With some clever symlinks you’d provably be able to get the count correct and keep your playlists as they are
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-04-07 at 12:44.

Medium term you may well be advised to move LMS to a Pi but keep your files on the NAS.playlists as they are
    I've thought about a Pi on and off for many years. Still haven't pulled the trigger. And not sure that I will.

On the LMS pc if you do Start, Run type \\server\path and press enter what happens?

Edit. Forget that, it will work. I’ve just remembered reading somewhere before that LMS on Windows doesn’t like UNC paths.

Medium term you may well be advised to move LMS to a Pi but keep your files on the NAS. With some clever symlinks you’d provably be able to get the count correct and keep your playlists as they are
    When I tried adding my Pi library to my Windows LMS I used a UNC path and it worked OK. What is the issue with UNC paths in Windows?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

If UNC path doesn't work for LMS in your case, just map the music drive on both PC's to the same drive letter:
    • LMS PC: M-drive points to \\NAS\MusicFolder
    • MusicBee computer: M-drive points to \\NAS\MusicFolder

This way, in theory at least, as I don't know the way this program works, MusicBee will create the playlists with the "absolute" reference (m:\artist\album\song.mp3) instead of the "relative" reference (\\server\musicfolder\artist\album\song.mp3), which will be identical to what LMS sees. That is actually what you need to try and obtain: LMS & MusicBee seeing exactly the same thing from an OS point of view, accessing it in exactly the same way.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

I suspect that LMS, running as a Windows service, can see mapped drives - so would not be able to access m:\
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland