Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LMS not starting: "control characters are not allowed" (LMS v8.1.2, 1617513319)

Server log:

[21-04-04 06:55:02.0681] main::init (389) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.1.2, 1617513319, Sun Apr 4 08:44:02 CEST 2021) perl 5.032000 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    [21-04-04 06:55:02.1019] YAML::XS::LoadFile (48) Warning: YAML::XS::Load Error: The problem:

control characters are not allowed

Would be grateful for any pointers to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by dysonapr View Post
    Server log:

[21-04-04 06:55:02.0681] main::init (389) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.1.2, 1617513319, Sun Apr 4 08:44:02 CEST 2021) perl 5.032000 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
    [21-04-04 06:55:02.1019] YAML::XS::LoadFile (48) Warning: YAML::XS::Load Error: The problem:

control characters are not allowed

Would be grateful for any pointers to fix.
    YAML::XS is used to load some configuration files: preference files (end with '.prefs') or skin configuration files (named 'skinconfig.yml'). And when loading a plugin cache file. And perhaps some others.

So it feels as if one of these might have become corrupted - they are supposed to be text files, and should not contain any control characters.

You would see an error message in the LMS log if it relates to a the preference or skin file, but I think that the plugin cache file loader does not log an error. I wonder if that "kills" LMS - I see that reading prefs and skin files is protected with a perl 'eval' statement, but reading the plugin cache file is not.

You might see an "info" message immediately prior to LMS's attempt to load the plugin cache file, set 'server.plugins' log level to 'info' to see that. The plugin cache file is named 'plugin-data.yaml'. I don't remember what it does... but it's not much use if it can't be read.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    YAML::XS is used to load some configuration files: preference files (end with '.prefs') or skin configuration files (named 'skinconfig.yml'). And when loading a plugin cache file. And perhaps some others.

So it feels as if one of these might have become corrupted - they are supposed to be text files, and should not contain any control characters.

You would see an error message in the LMS log if it relates to a the preference or skin file, but I think that the plugin cache file loader does not log an error. I wonder if that "kills" LMS - I see that reading prefs and skin files is protected with a perl 'eval' statement, but reading the plugin cache file is not.

You might see an "info" message immediately prior to LMS's attempt to load the plugin cache file, set 'server.plugins' log level to 'info' to see that. The plugin cache file is named 'plugin-data.yaml'. I don't remember what it does... but it's not much use if it can't be read.
    Hey All
    Just got the same error when I did an update from the LMS. Is there any resolution yet?

[QUOTE=gdryan;1020549]Hey All
    Just got the same error when I did an update from the LMS. Is there any resolution yet?[/QUO

Just been looking at some of these files:

The "skinconfig.yml" file is empty. The state.pref file which is noted as an error at start up is empty. Is this the problem.

Also wondering how I fix this. Could I use the LMS GUI option to remove Cache? Which includes Cache and preferences.

LMS not starting: "controlcharacters are not allowed" (LMS v8.1.2, 1617513319)

> Just got the same error when I did an update from the LMS. Is there any
    > resolution yet?

Would you mind to share your server.log and server.prefs file?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Just got the same error when I did an update from the LMS. Is there any
    > resolution yet?

Would you mind to share your server.log and server.prefs file?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a
    Just sent to your drop box. The server pref file seems empty?

Also sent pCp boot log

Cheers Glenn

This issue came about when I did an update from the material skin
    Cheers Glenn

> Just sent to your drop box. The server pref file seems empty?

It's full of 0 bytes... unless you have a backup I'm sorry to say you'll
    have to start over. Delete the file and restart LMS. Repeat for any
    other file LMS is complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Just sent to your drop box. The server pref file seems empty?

It's full of 0 bytes... unless you have a backup I'm sorry to say you'll
    have to start over. Delete the file and restart LMS. Repeat for any
    other file LMS is complaining about.
    Just to be clear what is normally contained in the server.pref file. Is it the mount details?
    TIA

> Just to be clear what is normally contained in the server.pref file. Is
    > it the mount details?

It's LMS' own main configuration file. It has hundreds of prefs in
    there, like player settings, music folders, formatting etc. And it
    should be a human readable text file (YAML).

Quote Originally Posted by gdryan View Post
    Just sent to your drop box. The server pref file seems empty?

Also sent pCp boot log

Cheers Glenn

This issue came about when I did an update from the material skin
    Cheers Glenn
    How did you do an update from the Material skin?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk