Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Replay Gain - do i need True Peak Scanning

until now i haven't used Replay Gain, because was never an issue with my setup, now i've added a music system into the mix, which might benefit from it.

So i've tried to learn about the ins and outs of RG.
    I'm using foobar on flac files

As i have 24bit flacs, the "downsample high res" option in foobar seems ok.
    But i haven't found a clear and for me understandable explanation if i should use "true peak" scanning.
    I have mostly Jazz and Pop/Rock albums and absolutely no clipping loudness war bullshit hit albums

As my RG scanning would take 11 hours without and 2 days with true peak, i'm asking here if i need it.....

At the end the RG will run in a Non-HiFi environment on a Non-Hifi rig......

Quote Originally Posted by mamema View Post
    until now i haven't used Replay Gain, because was never an issue with my setup, now i've added a music system into the mix, which might benefit from it.

But i haven't found a clear and for me understandable explanation if i should use "true peak" scanning.
    I have mostly Jazz and Pop/Rock albums and absolutely no clipping loudness war bullshit hit albums

As my RG scanning would take 11 hours without and 2 days with true peak, i'm asking here if i need it.....

I have never used true peak scanning. Try a few test albums with true peak on and off and see what difference it makes.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

foobar only added the true peak option recently. I've never had any issues with about 130,000 files scanned WITHOUT the true peak option.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks. Then it will be without that option.

Thanks. Then it will be without that option.
    most of my replaygain tag additions happen when I rip my CDs with dbpoweramp. As far as I know, it doesn't use the "peak" option either (it doesn't show as an option). I use foobar2000 to add RG tags post rip if I need to (e.g., redoing a multidisk set to treat all of them as a single album for purposes of RG).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    most of my replaygain tag additions happen when I rip my CDs with dbpoweramp. As far as I know, it doesn't use the "peak" option either (it doesn't show as an option). I use foobar2000 to add RG tags post rip if I need to (e.g., redoing a multidisk set to treat all of them as a single album for purposes of RG).
    I use Foobar2000 for exactly the same reason. It annoys me to see different album gains for multi disc albums

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Likewise CD rip by dbPoweramp with RG on but foobar2000 as post processor for Vinyl rips.
    No peak adjustment here either.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS