Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Album songs are being played alphabetically rather than by file name

It has been a strange day for LMS. First of all, without apparent reason, everything from my LMS library was wiped clean, and my library was reassigned automatically to my computer's preassigned "Music" folder, where I had a total of 3 albums (I have thousands, in actuality). All my plugins went to default mode, at the same time.

So, I did a fresh rescan which worked for an hour or two, until a couple hard drives suddenly disappeared from the library.

After resetting my Server settings, I re-scanned again. This time the most frustrating thing is that, in absence of track #s having been tagged, all album songs are being played alphabetically by track name, rather than by filename, as has always been the case.

For instance, if track name; "titles" are; 01-aaaa; "Boy" 02-bbbb; "Adam" , then "Adam" is appearing and playing before "Boy" for any album even though "Adam" is the second track.

Is this some sort of setting? In the 10+ years of my Squeezebox history, I've never had this problem.

LMS 7.9.3, Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you.

Is there a chance that someone else has been messing around with your system - e.g. from outside?
    Do you have port forwarding enabled?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Are you saying you haven't bothered with track number tags but you have tagged everything else?
    What happens if you play from Browse Music Folder?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Is there a chance that someone else has been messing around with your system - e.g. from outside?
    Do you have port forwarding enabled?
    No port forwarding. I live in the country. No one is close enough to my house to be able to mess around with things here.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Are you saying you haven't bothered with track number tags but you have tagged everything else?
    What happens if you play from Browse Music Folder?

That is definitely correct for a good portion of my collection. I've never had a need to use the track number field since my filename structure has always been sufficient, until yesterday! It would take me a month to get through my 12K albums if I need to worry about this, all of a sudden.

It seems that this is happening if I have tagged titles, but not track #. If I've tagged neither, then LMS is still going by filename, as it should be.

If I use Music Folder, the order is correct. Interesting. The problem with that is LMS will often freeize on this view, and has for years. I think that 12K albums is the problem.

I think this comes down to:

**How can LMS be told to prioritize filename over track title? (Or, how can it be told to never organize by track title?) Seems like this should be automatic, but suddenly it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by bzlrbi View Post
    That is definitely correct for a good portion of my collection. I've never had a need to use the track number field since my filename structure has always been sufficient, until yesterday! It would take me a month to get through my 12K albums if I need to worry about this, all of a sudden.

It seems that this is happening if I have tagged titles, but not track #. If I've tagged neither, then LMS is still going by filename, as it should be.

If I use Music Folder, the order is correct. Interesting. The problem with that is LMS will often freeize on this view, and has for years. I think that 12K albums is the problem.

I think this comes down to:

**How can LMS be told to prioritize filename over track title? (Or, how can it be told to never organize by track title?) Seems like this should be automatic, but suddenly it is not.
    Maybe you can get it to work by messing around with "Guess Tags Formats" under Settings/Formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Maybe you can get it to work by messing around with "Guess Tags Formats" under Settings/Formatting.

I'll try this! Unfortunately, I think I did mess around with this yesterday after LMS completely crashed and went back to default settings. This might be where it happened. Thanks!