Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Joggler to USB Sound Quality

I have been playing around with a spare Joggler and decided to try using it as a Squeezelite Transport to a Topping E30 USB DAC via Chill's excellent Jivelite image. I kept my SB3 S/PIDF connected to the DAC and switched between them using the remote. I was taken aback by how different they sounded. The SB3 was clear and open with a good stereo image whilst the Joggler sounded subdued and dull. This was on my kitchen system (see signature) so by no means high end. Won't be using the Joggler as a transport, but hugely loved as a controller!

I would like to try adding the EDO patch to Jivelite but I am not sure it is possible. Anyone tried?

Gave up with the SQPOS-303 image + EDO patch as it would not connect to LMS whilst the Bionic image has more bugs than a tramp's raincoat - crashing LMS requiring a server reboot, randomly dropping out to a command line, dropping out to command line when ethernet cable plugged in, not connecting to WiFi, unable to edit network.yaml, crashing with EDO patch etc. And I tried it on two Joggler's so not a memory issue.

A DAC32 with a Jivelite Joggler controller is a difficult to improve on combination for the price - ú65 + ú20.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    I have been playing around with a spare Joggler and decided to try using it as a Squeezelite Transport to a Topping E30 USB DAC via Chill's excellent Jivelite image. I kept my SB3 S/PIDF connected to the DAC and switched between them using the remote. I was taken aback by how different they sounded. The SB3 was clear and open with a good stereo image whilst the Joggler sounded subdued and dull. This was on my kitchen system (see signature) so by no means high end. Won't be using the Joggler as a transport, but hugely loved as a controller!

I would like to try adding the EDO patch to Jivelite but I am not sure it is possible. Anyone tried?

Gave up with the SQPOS-303 image + EDO patch as it would not connect to LMS whilst the Bionic image has more bugs than a tramp's raincoat - crashing LMS requiring a server reboot, randomly dropping out to a command line, dropping out to command line when ethernet cable plugged in, not connecting to WiFi, unable to edit network.yaml, crashing with EDO patch etc. And I tried it on two Joggler's so not a memory issue.

A DAC32 with a Jivelite Joggler controller is a difficult to improve on combination for the price - ú65 + ú20.
    Does BBC Sounds play on said Joggler? It won't on the standard Squeezeplay OS version without a minor modification to /etc/asound.conf - basically replacing 44100 with 48000
    I mention this because there has previously been talk of EDO on a Joggler on the Joggler forum but I couldn't see any conclusion. I decided that sticking 96000 here wasn't all that would be necessary and that you'd need to check that at a hardware level any USB DAC was recognised as 24/96 capable.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Yes, it plays 96khz files downsampled to 48khz via the E30 DAC. Not tried BBC Sounds as I do not use it. I will try Mother Earth: http://server9.streamserver24.com:18800/motherearth as they stream at 96khz and play a very unusual mix of music (currently Snarky Puppy's 'Bigly Strictnesss' - never heard of them!). More here if you want to learn about Faslak's Frequency which defines their stream: https://motherearthradio.de/Impressum.html Never heard of that either!

Yes, I used the Wilberforce links to try and get EDO working on Bionic, maybe I should try those commands with Jivelite.
    Last edited by Heuer; 2021-04-01 at 08:46.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Does BBC Sounds play on said Joggler? It won't on the standard Squeezeplay OS version without a minor modification to /etc/asound.conf - basically replacing 44100 with 48000
    I.

I think that nice Mr Webster provided a patch for that nice Mr Herger

, maybe I should try those commands with Jivelite.
    this will never work, i would advise you should sell your joggler, i would buy it, ehmm ...duck'n'cover

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I think that nice Mr Webster provided a patch for that nice Mr Herger

I've not paid too much attention to Chill's Jivelite on Joggler implementation but is is squeezelite underneath as the player? If so I would have thought that output over USB at 24/96 should work?
    Dining Room SB Boom

My thinking as well but I would dearly like chill to comment as he may have altered the directory structure to be able to switch Squeezelite on and off.

My thinking as well but I would dearly like chill to comment as he may have altered the directory structure to be able to switch Squeezelite on and off.
    PM him. He will respond when he sees it I'm sure.
    Dining Room SB Boom

Done!