Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    Thanks, that public key worked using SSH and I was able to install squeezelite and jivelite, and set up /etc/init.d/ start and rc-update rc-status.

Both have ERROR: sod-sdl-1.2.15-r0: trying to overwrite usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 owned by sdl12-compat-1.2.52-r1.

I have installed herbstluftwm, and am following the install tutorial.

I stopped at the suggestion to start in xsessions - I notice that following their direction, autostart is in the /etc/xdg/herbstluftwm directory. I notice I am confused.
    Yes, I'm actually working on that right now. The jivelite and sdl packages got screwed up when Alpine switched all the sdl 1.2 packages to sdl12-compat and moved sdl 1.2 into testing. Ralphy seems to have jivelite working ok with sdl12-compat but I've been having some issues with it on Alpine.

I'm working on another script right now for myself that sets up the chromebase for my jeep. If you give me a couple hours I'll post it and make sure the jivelite and sdl stuff is working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    Yes, I'm actually working on that right now. The jivelite and sdl packages got screwed up when Alpine switched all the sdl 1.2 packages to sdl12-compat and moved sdl 1.2 into testing. Ralphy seems to have jivelite working ok with sdl12-compat but I've been having some issues with it on Alpine.

I'm working on another script right now for myself that sets up the chromebase for my jeep. If you give me a couple hours I'll post it and make sure the jivelite and sdl stuff is working correctly.
    No rush! I am away for a week so wonĺt be doing any updates till Saturday week. I have been impressed with the number of detailed walk throughs for alpine for what I need; but you have been great at cutting through the muddle.
    SB Touch (Community firmware v8.01) UE Radio, SMSL Sanskrit MkII, Talk Electronic Cyclone 1.2 amplifier. LMS 8.2 Snakeoil OS, HP t520 thin client.
    BBCiPlayer, BBC Sounds, Shairtunes2 plugins, edo applet

I've been working on the vehicle mounted chromebase mini for a while now and I'm going to finish it (by some definition of finished) but I'm starting to stall out on the interface. I kind of wanted to keep it clean and with one screen of icons, but the little things you don't do often, reboot, shutdown etc. I don't really want full size icons for. I've messed around with a few variations of small icons at the bottom, different sizes and transparencies etc. but I don't really like it.

Any ideas? I could have "settings" icon and another page of full size icons I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So I realized I should just use gestures in place of icons for seldom used actions:

1 finger swipe up - brightness up 10%
    1 finger swipe down - brightness down 10%
    3 finger tap - reboot
    3 finger swipe down - shutdown

All on the left 1/3 of the screen. Middle and right can be used for other gestures.

Wifi connect I think I'll go as pictured with a smaller button at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sodface; 2022-09-28 at 08:29.

@Patricia P

If you are up for it, can you run through this setup guide I just posted and let me know if it works for you or what issues you have? Thanks!!!

http://www.sodface.com/tech/alpine-setup-cb/

Nice! I will have a go, and let you know how I get on
    SB Touch (Community firmware v8.01) UE Radio, SMSL Sanskrit MkII, Talk Electronic Cyclone 1.2 amplifier. LMS 8.2 Snakeoil OS, HP t520 thin client.

@Patricia P

If you are up for it, can you run through this setup guide I just posted and let me know if it works for you or what issues you have? Thanks!!!

http://www.sodface.com/tech/alpine-setup-cb/
    It works with no errors. I reinstalled and it went smoothly. I am so impressed, thank you for such a convenient setup.

=================
    Boston is playing from the CB's own speakers as a test, all working well.

I tried the finger gestures but they didnt register. Firefox opens and quits nicely.

I set up openssh and tried to shut down with poweroff. poweroff: (null): Operation not permitted. Sudo not found.

Changed user [su - root]
    # poweroff
    It shut down

I turn off any equipment with a transformer when I am not using it. Perhaps I need to calibrate the screen to register gestures?
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-10-05 at 12:37. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    It works with no errors. I reinstalled and it went smoothly. I am so impressed, thank you for such a convenient setup.
    Thanks for the feedback and testing, glad to hear it went ok. It looks like you edited it out but yes good point on mentioning the skin size to use for jivelite, will update the guide.

I'm going to continue to tweak things and post new setup files but I wanted to get something up for you to try when you returned. The setup-cb.sh script does a few checks when it runs, it looks for the cb user home dir and doesn't create the user if it exists, it checks for /usr/bin/herbstluftwm and skips installing all the X11 stuff if it's already installed. The idea was the first time you run the script, it installs everything, then if you run it again, it just pulls down the setup-cb.tar.gz file and extracts it, which provides a way to get updated files without the script trying to reload everything.

Problem is if you edit the local files yourself to customize things, you don't want to run the script again otherwise it'll overwrite your changes with the latest files from my repo.

=================
    Boston is playing from the CB's own speakers as a test, all working well.

I tried the finger gestures but they didnt register. Firefox opens and quits nicely.
    The finger gestures are pretty accurate once you get the hang of them, and they can be changed, certain changes would require me to recompile the libsgestures software, others can be changed just by updating /usr/bin/catch-gesture-hook.sh

The screen is divided into three regions as far as gestures go. It also depends on what is on the screen whether gestures will work or not. I say on the guide that it's divided into thirds, left, right, and middle, but it's really not equal, more like 20% left, 60% middle, and 20% right.

The issue is I didn't want certain gestures to be triggered while you were scrolling in firefox or jivelite. If swiping down dims the screen by 10% you don't want the screen to dim because you're scolling down in browsing music folders in jivelite. So, dim/bright, reboot and shutdown only work on the icon screen when no other windows have focus.

On the icon menu screen, on the left side, if you swipe down with one figure and do it a few times, does the screen dim a little every time? Swiping up with one finger should brighten it a bit with every swipe. 3 fingers tapped all at the same time on the left side on the icon screen should cause a reboot. Again, you gotta make sure all three fingers are in the left 20% of the screen or so or it won't trigger it.

Two finger tap (two fingers hitting the screen at the same time) on the right 20% of the screen should take you back to the icon screen if you are in firefox or jivelite for example. Does that work?

I'm working on an update to get some gestures working with mpv, vol +/-, play/pause, ff/rw etc. I've tried a couple different mpv user scripts that are supposed to give you a better control for touch screens but so far I haven't been all that happy with them. I think just adding some gestures for basic controls will be better.

I set up openssh and tried to shut down with poweroff. poweroff: (null): Operation not permitted. Sudo not found.

Changed user [su - root]
    # poweroff
    It shut down

I turn off any equipment with a transformer when I am not using it. Perhaps I need to calibrate the screen to register gestures?
    Instead of sudo, use doas which Alpine is now recommending for use over sudo.

// edit

I updated the libsgestures-hlwm package so the left and right side gesture areas are 30% of the screen width instead of 20%, which I think will help (me too). Update it and then reboot:

Code:
    $ doas apk update
    $ doas apk add -l libsgestures-hlwm
    I also made a few changes to the various files that the script installs. I'll be uploading a new "setup-cb.tar.gz" file shortly. If you re-run the "setup-cb.sh" script, it should skip most of the setup and just download, extract, and install the new files where they need to go. Run the script with doas or as root since you need the permissions to install some of the files in /etc and /usr/bin.

The main changes were:

- get rid of the default blank icons that were just there for example and go with 4 for now, Audio, Video, Web, and Terminal.
    - changed the arguments for xlunch to layout the icons, visually shouldn't see much difference, icons should be centered
    - got the file-picker.sh script working and run by default when the video icon is pressed. file-picker.sh uses xlunch to present a scrollable list of files so that you can select which video to play
    - added gestures for mpv, left side, 1 finger swipe up/down is volume up/down, middle 2 finger tap cycles play/pause
    - added a global gesture where a 3 finger tap in the middle of the screen will close the focused application

Note that the file-picker.sh script takes three arguments which are the command to run after the file is selected, the search path to look for files, and a minimum file size. These are currently hard set to my preferences so it's going to search for files bigger than 1024k in /srv/video

To best test, make sure that directory exists and put a sample video file in it.
    Last edited by sodface; 2022-10-06 at 05:57.

Thanks for the feedback and testing, glad to hear it went ok. It looks like you edited it out but yes good point on mentioning the skin size to use for jivelite, will update the guide.
    =====

I updated the libsgestures-hlwm package so the left and right side gesture areas are 30% of the screen width instead of 20%, which I think will help (me too). Update it and then reboot:

Code:
    $ doas apk update
    $ doas apk add -l libsgestures-hlwm
    I also made a few changes to the various files that the script installs. I'll be uploading a new "setup-cb.tar.gz" file shortly. If you re-run the "setup-cb.sh" script, it should skip most of the setup and just download, extract, and install the new files where they need to go. Run the script with doas or as root since you need the permissions to install some of the files in /etc and /usr/bin.

The main changes were:

- get rid of the default blank icons that were just there for example and go with 4 for now, Audio, Video, Web, and Terminal.
    - changed the arguments for xlunch to layout the icons, visually shouldn't see much difference, icons should be centered
    - got the file-picker.sh script working and run by default when the video icon is pressed. file-picker.sh uses xlunch to present a scrollable list of files so that you can select which video to play
    - added gestures for mpv, left side, 1 finger swipe up/down is volume up/down, middle 2 finger tap cycles play/pause
    - added a global gesture where a 3 finger tap in the middle of the screen will close the focused application

Note that the file-picker.sh script takes three arguments which are the command to run after the file is selected, the search path to look for files, and a minimum file size. These are currently hard set to my preferences so it's going to search for files bigger than 1024k in /srv/video

To best test, make sure that directory exists and put a sample video file in it.
    Thank you for a great set up script. Yes I did edit to remove my suggestion, but appreciate you like feedback suggestions.

The gestures are easy now since I updated. Brightness is adjustable with a finger swipe up or down on the left hand side of home screen, shutdown with three fingers swipe down.

Four icons on the home screen after shutdown and restart. The touch experience is very good on this screen, it makes a good squeezebox.

The doas apk update had problems so I didnt go further. Looks like I need to have community repo enabled. I was unable to access the repo as I could not execute apk add nano even as root.
    Code:
    doas apk update
    fetch https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/main/armv7/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    2817983376:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1919:
    ERROR: https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/main: Permission denied
    fetch https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/community/armv7/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    2817983376:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1919:
    ERROR: https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/community: Permission denied
    fetch http://uk.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/main/armv7/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    fetch http://www.sodface.com/repo/armv7/APKINDEX.tar.gz
    v3.16.2-221-ge7097e0782 [https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/main]
    v3.16.2-228-g197b0b4735 [https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/community]
    v3.16.2-276-g119bbb1c12 [http://uk.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.16/main]
    sodface.com  [http://www.sodface.com/repo]
    2 errors; 16652 distinct packages available
    Code:
    localhost:~$ doas apk nano
    ERROR: 'nano' is not an apk command. See 'apk --help'.
    localhost:~$ doas apk add nano
    (1/1) Installing nano (6.3-r0)
      0%                                                                            2876756880:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1919:
    ERROR: nano-6.3-r0: Permission denied
    1 error; 536 MiB in 296 packages
    localhost:~$ su - root
    Password: 
    localhost:~# apk add nano
    (1/1) Installing nano (6.3-r0)
      0%                                                                            2935743376:error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1919:ERROR: nano-6.3-r0: Permission denied
    1 error; 536 MiB in 296 packages
    localhost:~$ apk add nano
    ERROR: Unable to lock database: Permission denied
    ERROR: Failed to open apk database: Permission denied
    localhost:~$
    I updated the time/date via terminal and I was permitted to add nano. In fact community repo is enabled. I was able to update using doas.

I tried to add a video to the (created) /srv/video directory, but I don't have permission. I tried using a linux file manager GUI on my laptop using SSH but that also failed silently.

I cannot open Jivelite anymore using the icon. It opens to the clockface, and perhaps there is a gesture I need to open the menu? I closed it down by pressing the back arrow to reach the home screen last time.

One final edit - When I reboot the time/date has to be updated by one hour. It defaults to GMT and until the end of the month it is GMT+1
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-10-11 at 04:24. Reason: Updated time and date

Glad the gestures are working ok!

As for the community repo issue, I've seen something similar happen before, did you double check your system clock was set correctly, otherwise ssl can think there is something wrong with the server certificate.

Also there's a list of mirrors here:

https://mirrors.alpinelinux.org/mirrors.txt

Maybe change to one in your region by manually editing /etc/apk/repositories