Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks for looking at this. The time and date were corrected in chrome os before I booted into your kernel.

I have not yet completed alpine setup, would this sdl issue affect me?

I want to install jivelite and squeezelite to have a Touch replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    Thanks for looking at this. The time and date were corrected in chrome os before I booted into your kernel.
    Right, but please check and set the date if needed when booting from the USB stick. I just tested on mine with it booted up to Alpine on internal emmc the date/time was correct. I then rebooted to the USB stick (without removing power) and I have the swclock service set to start on the usb stick so it sets the clock to the time of the last shutdown based on the filesystem on the USB stick, not the internal emmc. So even though it may have been correct in chrome os, when you rebooted from USB stick it probably changed it to the wrong date/time. I guess I need to change that.

I have not yet completed alpine setup, would this sdl issue affect me?
    I want to install jivelite and squeezelite to have a Touch replacement.
    Yes it will if you use the packages on sodface.com/repo which it sounds like you are doing. Give me a bit and I'll replace the sdl12-compat packages with regular sdl 1.2 packages.

//edit ok I think jivelite and the related packages should be the right ones now. The other architectures are screwed up still but armv7 (for the chromebase) should be ok.
    Last edited by sodface; 2022-09-18 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    So even though it may have been correct in chrome os, when you rebooted from USB stick it probably changed it to the wrong date/time. I guess I need to change that.

Yes it will if you use the packages on sodface.com/repo which it sounds like you are doing. Give me a bit and I'll replace the sdl12-compat packages with regular sdl 1.2 packages.

//edit ok I think jivelite and the related packages should be the right ones now. The other architectures are screwed up still but armv7 (for the chromebase) should be ok.
    It defaults to UTC after booting from the usb. I am on GMT+1

I’ll look out for the updated boot img and let you know how I get on. Its still dated 9/11/2022. Is this going to be updated? I have not yet got past this part of the install.
    I tried to update time/date with tzdata which was successful but
    #date returns Mon May 2 10:50:43 BST 2022
    #hwclock —show —utc returns Fri jan 18 09:38:03 2013
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-09-19 at 13:20. Reason: Checked the date on the boot img on sodface repo

It defaults to UTC after booting from the usb. I am on GMT+1

I’ll look out for the updated boot img and let you know how I get on. Its still dated 9/11/2022. Is this going to be updated? I have not yet got past this part of the install.
    I tried to update time/date with tzdata which was successful but
    #date returns Mon May 2 10:50:43 BST 2022
    #hwclock —show —utc returns Fri jan 18 09:38:03 2013
    Boot off USB and just set the date manually:

# date -s 202209201727

Then continue.

Boot off USB and just set the date manually:

# date -s 202209201727

Then continue.
    Thanks that worked to set the correct time. However, even now, the router which has been cycled and restarted, still fails to register the chromebase. Without this I cannot set the alpine repo or end the setup.

Its not a hardware problem in the chromebase, as I can get an IP address for the wired connection in chrome.

I think I will leave it for the moment.

Thanks again
    SB Touch (Community firmware v8.01) UE Radio, SMSL Sanskrit MkII, Talk Electronic Cyclone 1.2 amplifier. LMS 8.2 Snakeoil OS, HP t520 thin client.
    BBCiPlayer, BBC Sounds, Shairtunes2 plugins, edo applet

Thanks that worked to set the correct time. However, even now, the router which has been cycled and restarted, still fails to register the chromebase. Without this I cannot set the alpine repo or end the setup.

Its not a hardware problem in the chromebase, as I can get an IP address for the wired connection in chrome.

I think I will leave it for the moment.

Thanks again
    Sorry, I guess I should be a little more clear on how I use the boot image since I mainly created it for my own use - its not really a polished solution. Batteries not included, as it were.

For the currently posted .img file I:

- dd the .img file to a usb stick, which seems like you've done without issue
    - boot chromebase from usb stick with ctrl+u at the boot screen, which also seems like no issue for you
    - login as root with no password, you got this far and are stuck I think
    - at this point I just run the ./install-mmc.sh script that should be in root's home directory to install Alpine to the internal storage
    --- the internal install is basically the same image that's on the usb stick
    - reboot (remove usb stick at the bootloader screen then ctrl+d to boot from internal storage)
    - set the clock with the date command
    - plug in ethernet cable, and do:
    # ifconfig eth0 up
    # udhcpc eth0
    - you should pull an ip address from your dhcp server and be able to ping the outside world
    # setup-alpine (for disk setup make sure you enter none since we already installed to internal storage earlier)

At this point you should be able to reboot and have network start at boot etc. and have a basic working CLI only Alpine system.

From here it just depends on what you want to do. I've been installing a tiling window manager (current favorite is herbstluftwm) and then jivelite, squeezelite etc. from my repos.

Maybe you could go through the above a couple of times to see if that is basically working and then we could work on where to go from there?

Sorry, I guess I should be a little more clear on how I use the boot image since I mainly created it for my own use - its not really a polished solution. Batteries not included, as it were.

- boot chromebase from usb stick with ctrl+u at the boot screen, which also seems like no issue for you
    - at this point I just run the ./install-mmc.sh script that should be in root's home directory to install Alpine to the internal storage
    - reboot (remove usb stick at the bootloader screen then ctrl+d to boot from internal storage)
    # ifconfig eth0 up
    # udhcpc eth0
    - you should pull an ip address from your dhcp server and be able to ping the outside world
    # setup-alpine (for disk setup make sure you enter none since we already installed to internal storage earlier)

At this point you should be able to reboot and have network start at boot etc. and have a basic working CLI only Alpine system.

From here it just depends on what you want to do. I've been installing a tiling window manager (current favorite is herbstluftwm) and then jivelite, squeezelite etc. from my repos.

Maybe you could go through the above a couple of times to see if that is basically working and then we could work on where to go from there?
    Excellent. I will try this. I really appreciate your support.

I have followed the wiki as far as installing the script.

I don’t think network issues are going to happen to most people setting up as on my first setup my router did set up a ip address in the setup-alpine for Wi-Fi and when I plugged in the Ethernet at the eth0 prompt. That doesn’t occur when I boot into alpine wired.
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-09-22 at 02:10.

# ifconfig eth0 up
    # udhcpc eth0

I have acquired an IP address; the setup completed and rebooted into alpine login; added nano and sudo; my user is added to the sudoers wheel; I added the http://sodface.com/repo to /etc/apt/repositories with nano as the "cat" code returns "No such file or directory".

Pretty happy with the progress - you can see I am unused to a minimal linux package. First time I have ever had to consider how to set up sudo privileges, but it appears to be working. I need to set up ssh (done) so I can run alpine headless; the tiling manager with squeezelite and jivelite is what I want.

I have tried the tar command from root and user, from home and /apk and it returns that [the sodface rsa key] is not a file or directory.

I have not installed ssh this time so I have to type it out carefully; I think its correct but I could be overlooking something.
    A guide to tar commands suggests a dash before xzcf but the directory seems to be the problem. (https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ho...h-tar-command/)
    I hope I can be helped over this obstacle
    Name:  IMG_4368.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  215.2 KB
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-09-22 at 13:31. Reason: Now installed ssh
    SB Touch (Community firmware v8.01) UE Radio, SMSL Sanskrit MkII, Talk Electronic Cyclone 1.2 amplifier. LMS 8.2 Snakeoil OS, HP t520 thin client.

I have acquired an IP address; the setup completed and rebooted into alpine login; added nano and sudo; my user is added to the sudoers wheel; I added the http://sodface.com/repo to /etc/apt/repositories with nano as the "cat" code returns "No such file or directory".

Pretty happy with the progress - you can see I am unused to a minimal linux package. First time I have ever had to consider how to set up sudo privileges, but it appears to be working. I need to set up ssh (done) so I can run alpine headless; the tiling manager with squeezelite and jivelite is what I want.

I have tried the tar command from root and user, from home and /apk and it returns that [the sodface rsa key] is not a file or directory.

I have not installed ssh this time so I have to type it out carefully; I think its correct but I could be overlooking something.
    A guide to tar commands suggests a dash before xzcf but the directory seems to be the problem. (https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ho...h-tar-command/)
    I hope I can be helped over this obstacle
    Good progress indeed! I guess I should just include my key already in the boot image but I felt that was bit rude. I was trying to keep the boot image as generic as possible. Do you actually have the key file?

Code:
    # wget http://www.sodface.com/repo/sodface-pub-key.tar.gz
    Connecting to www.sodface.com (168.235.110.154:80)
    saving to 'sodface-pub-key.tar.gz'
    sodface-pub-key.tar. 100% |*********************************************************************************************************************************************|   483  0:00:00 ETA
    'sodface-pub-key.tar.gz' saved

# tar xzvf sodface-pub-key.tar.gz -C /etc/apk/keys/
    sod@sodface.com-5e51d361.rsa.pub
    That was run as root, you'll need to add sudo to the tar command if you aren't root.

Good progress indeed! I guess I should just include my key already in the boot image but I felt that was bit rude. I was trying to keep the boot image as generic as possible. Do you actually have the key file?

Code:
    # wget http://www.sodface.com/repo/sodface-pub-key.tar.gz
    Connecting to www.sodface.com (168.235.110.154:80)
    saving to 'sodface-pub-key.tar.gz'
    sodface-pub-key.tar. 100% |*********************************************************************************************************************************************|   483  0:00:00 ETA
    'sodface-pub-key.tar.gz' saved

# tar xzvf sodface-pub-key.tar.gz -C /etc/apk/keys/
    sod@sodface.com-5e51d361.rsa.pub
    That was run as root, you'll need to add sudo to the tar command if you aren't root.
    Thanks, that public key worked using SSH and I was able to install squeezelite and jivelite, and set up /etc/init.d/ start and rc-update rc-status.

Both have ERROR: sod-sdl-1.2.15-r0: trying to overwrite usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 owned by sdl12-compat-1.2.52-r1.

I have installed herbstluftwm, and am following the install tutorial.

I stopped at the suggestion to start in xsessions - I notice that following their direction, autostart is in the /etc/xdg/herbstluftwm directory. I notice I am confused.
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2022-09-23 at 07:25.