Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wheresmebbc
    • Apr 2015

I'm Obviously Doing Something Wrong...

Not entirely technically challenged but I am having a beginners nightmare.

Bought a RPi 4 to install LMS. I presently have it running on a Synology but after the recent Perl update I had to Google for an older version of Perl then re-install it and LMS. Not a great issue just the fag of having to reconfigure everything in LMS back to where it was. So I deceided on the Pi route.

Linux I am not familiar with so the hand holding instructions from pCP were very helpful. But...something I did wrong (probably). A mis-step somewhere in the process?

I have twice run through the installation description, following it carefully. In both cases, on completion, I could not see the LMS interface. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
  • Paul Webster
    • Apr 2005

It would help if you said what you tried.

For example ... if this is a default installation and you have not changed host name then your pCP is probably visiable at

and your LMS (if you asked pCP to install it) is at

If you cannot reach pcp.local then replace pcp.local with the IP address - it is shown on the screen when it boots (if you have a screen attached) otherwise you will have to find it in your router or some other local lan searching tool such as Fing.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• wheresmebbc
      • Apr 2015

Sorry if I was a little vague. Raspberry Pi very new to me.

I followed the pCP instructions and (naively?) assumed that when I started the Pi that the normal LMS interface would show up. It doesn't. Entering the static IP address that I set up just takes me to the pCP main page (the one that thanks me for using piCorePlayer).

I am used to using LMS on my Synology NAS so I was rather expecting to see that interface that would allow me to configure the library location and re-configure my devices - booms and Touch.
      Last edited by wheresmebbc; 2021-03-28, 12:39.

Comment

• reinholdk
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by wheresmebbc
        Sorry if I was a little vague. Raspberry Pi very new to me.

I followed the pCP instructions and (naively?) assumed that when I started the Pi that the normal LMS interface would show up. It doesn't. Entering the static IP address that I set up just takes me to the pCP main page (the one that thanks me for using piCorePlayer).

I am used to using LMS on my Synology NAS so I was rather expecting to see that interface that would allow me to configure the library location and re-configure my devices - booms and Touch.
        The page you're seeing is pCP's about page. Noticed the 'tabs' just above the "Thank you..."? There's 'Main Page'...'LMS'...

Did you actually configure pCP to install LMS? This is a separate step.

Comment

• Paul Webster
          • Apr 2005

Provided you have chosen Player/Server from the bottom of the page.
          Paul Webster
          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• wheresmebbc
            • Apr 2015

For someone that is basically non-techie like me this is far too troublesome.

By rolling back the last Synology update to Perl I have LMS working on my NAS.

All I was looking to do was to install LMS on a Raspberry Pi so that any future Synology updates would not affect my ability to access my music on the NAS. Seems that even this simple requirement borders on having to have a degree in technology.

Surely there is an easy way to install LMS directly onto a bog standard Raspbian Pi(?)

Comment

• slartibartfast
              • Jan 2010

For someone that is basically non-techie like me this is far too troublesome.

By rolling back the last Synology update to Perl I have LMS working on my NAS.

All I was looking to do was to install LMS on a Raspberry Pi so that any future Synology updates would not affect my ability to access my music on the NAS. Seems that even this simple requirement borders on having to have a degree in technology.

Surely there is an easy way to install LMS directly onto a bog standard Raspbian Pi(?)
              There is and piCoreplayer is it. Just follow the guides to install LMS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
              Bedroom: Radio
              Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Apesbrain
                • Jun 2005

piCorePlayer was originally developed as a Squeezebox player; LMS (server) support was added as Raspberry Pi hardware acquired sufficient power. Not everyone wants/needs LMS running on their RPi. Sounds like you were 90% of the way there and just needed to install and configure LMS:

Comment

• Jeff07971
                  • Aug 2011

There is, its really quite simple but installing LMS on pCP is waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier !!!
                  sigpic
                  Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• v2k
                    • Mar 2021

I have twice run through the installation description, following it carefully. In both cases, on completion, I could not see the LMS interface. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
                    Having spent the last days playing with various scenarios it is rather straight forward. As others have pointed out, if you only intend to use the pi for Squeeze & LMS and you are new to both the pi and Linux then install pCP by writing the image to the SD card and then install LMS from the web interface.
                    If you want to do other things with the pi then download and install the Debian/Ubuntu ARM package. When I installed it on raspbian all dependencies where met (everything worked at once). When I installed it on Ubuntu 18.04 I had to fix dependencies and then everything worked.

Hope you get it sorted!

Comment

• wheresmebbc
                      • Apr 2015

OK. Thanks for the kind words. I'll persevere.

I have been following the instructions here https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/ but clearly have missed something.

Your encouragement is appreciated. I'll start again as I'm not sure what I have missed/got wrong.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

• garym
                        • May 2008

I have been following the instructions here https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/ but clearly have missed something.

Your encouragement is appreciated. I'll start again as I'm not sure what I have missed/got wrong.

Fingers crossed.
                        I've used those instructions on 4 or 5 installs and always works. Key items are first "resizing" the SD card and then installing LMS, and then starting LMS. I set it to automatically start LMS each time rPi is started/rebooted.
                        Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Paul Webster
                          • Apr 2005

Fingers crossed.
                          Those screenshots are based on pCP 3.5 ... and pCP is now at 7.0 so there are some differences.

I think the big one for you is the "Player/Server" that is at the bottom of modern pCP and is not present in 3.5
                          If you don't click that then I don't think you will be offered the chance to install LMS.
                          Paul Webster

Comment

• wheresmebbc
                            • Apr 2015

A big thank you to those who have helped this technically naive beginner who, at the fourth attempt, finally succeeded in correctly following the detailed "How to". Also Google has been my friend throughout.

Progress has been made but I have one final stumbling block to overcome.

I now need to set up NFS for connecting to my Synology NAS which holds my music library. The Synology side is pretty straightforward. The item stumping me is the NFS mount point that I need to enter into the Linux command 'mount -t nfs...' etc.

I tried using the 'Set Up Network Disk Mount' in PiCore but everything is greyed out.

Any help/hints greatly appreciated.
                            Last edited by wheresmebbc; 2021-04-03, 10:55.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                              • Apr 2005

There is no need to use with command line with pCP to achieve this.
                              The section on the pCP LMS page "Setup Network Disk Mount" that you referred to is the right place to do this.

So - you have to work out why it is not letting you type into the boxes.
                              I don't remember if it is necessary to install a pCP "extension" to do this - but if it is then I would expect the pCP UI to give a clue in the "more..." area.

Paul Webster

Comment

Working...