Announce Planet Radio / Bauer Media plugin - PlanetRock, Absolute, Kiss, Scala ++

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Webster
    • Apr 2005

Announce Planet Radio / Bauer Media plugin - PlanetRock, Absolute, Kiss, Scala ++

This plugin is for track (cover art, artist, title), programme (picture, title, synopsis), schedule (date, title, picture and URL to play) and Podcasts/Boxsets (title and URL to play) for Bauer Media (UK) stations (for example: Planet Rock, Absolute, Kiss, Jazz FM, Scala, Kerrang!, Magic, Greatest Hits, Country Hits and some local radio stations (e.g. Clyde, Cool, Pirate).
    This includes the various related stations in brands such as Absolute 80s and Kisstory.
    Support included for PlanetRadio Premium streams. This requires the listener to have an account on PlanetRadio.co.uk and then enter those credentials into the plugin settings. Once logged in via the plugin and LMS restarted then you should see additional stations and podcasts listed in the plugin - note - you will need PlayHLSv2 plugin to play them. Note also - while this provides access to the Premium streams it does not (yet) have the ability to avoid adverts and might never have the ability to skip songs.

This plugin is not supported or endorsed by Bauer Media Group.

LMS (via TuneIn) already provides track title and artist for some of the stations - but without cover art and no programme details.

You can choose whether the station or programme logo/art should be displayed when there is no track image available.

I have seen that the track information transitions are a bit out of sync with live playing - but to a varying degree across different stations and at different times.
    They do provide an offset to use but it does not seem to be correct. Overall, it is close enough to be useable.

If you find that track information is not showing then first check their web site at https://www.planetradio.co.uk and see if it is there.
    (click on the top left to get a drop down list)

If the track information is not there then it is probably why the plugin is not showing it.

The station list should appear under Radio in LMS (although you can configured it to be under Apps/My Apps or not show it at all).
    The list is ordered with most of the big name stations at the top and the rest are sorted alphabetically below.
    Some of the stations are in fact a brand name that has others below - for example Absolute and Kiss.

PlanetRadio usually provide multiple streaming links for each station. This would require deep navigation of the station list to select one to play so you can provide a set of preferred stream types (the stream type appears in brackets after the station name when do navigate down through the list).
    If one of your preferred types is available then all of the other are supressed which then makes it playable directly from the first presentation of the station.
    The default value for this field is mp3hq112 (mp3 stream at 112kbps).

If you find that some of the streams do not play then try installing the PlayHLSv2 plugin.

If you use the RadioFeeds plugin then you may well be able to access higher bit rate streams.

This (planetradio) plugin will provide the artist/track/programme information even if the station is selected via TuneIn, Radio.Net or Radiofeeds.

Thanks to the beta testers for their encouragement and input during the development - bluetdi, chill, Heuer, local.bin, cpd73 and vinnielo (offline)
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?114214 (treat this old thread as closed but it might answer a question if you have one)

Version 0.0.7 - 03-Feb-2023
    - Station list update

Version 0.0.6 - 30-May-2022
    - Add the recently announced subscription stations from Kiss

Version 0.5 - 20/Apr/2022
    - add support for the PlanetRadio changes to their requirements for playing a stream (announced February 2022 and probably enforced in April 2022). They might (in the future) require that you have at least a free account on PlanetRadio.co.uk (enter the credentials in the plugin settings).
    - add support for PlanetRadio Premium streams. This requires the listener to have an account on PlanetRadio.co.uk and then enter those credentials into the plugin settings. Once logged in via the plugin and LMS restarted then you should see additional stations and podcasts listed in the plugin.
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2023-03-04, 17:28.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin
  • Raymond Woodward
    • Feb 2015

Strange you don't use the higher bandwidth/quality options?

Hint, see https://www.astra2sat.com/radio/baue...radio-streams/

That said, I've still to re-discover the 320Kb stream of Jazz FM (I did have it but unfortunately lost it a while back whilst changing computer systems :-( )
    Last edited by Raymond Woodward; 2021-03-28, 08:47.

Comment

• Paul Webster
      • Apr 2005

I use the streams that planetradio put in their data ... none are hard-coded by me.
      Paul Webster
      Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
      and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• slartibartfast
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Paul Webster
        I use the streams that planetradio put in their data ... none are hard-coded by me.
        Absolute used to have FLAC streams available but they seem to be long gone [emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
        Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
        Bedroom: Radio
        Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Paul Webster
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Raymond Woodward
          Strange you don't use the higher bandwidth/quality options?

Hint, see https://www.astra2sat.com/radio/baue...radio-streams/

That said, I've still to re-discover the 320Kb stream of Jazz FM (I did have it but unfortunately lost it a while back whilst changing computer systems :-( )
          Turns out that planetradio mislabels their streams and I am using the same streams that you linked to.
          For example
          JazzFM - labelled as adtshq48 but what is really streaming is 128k - and it is using the same URL as listed on astra2sat site.
          If you want to experiment then simply remove the filter in the settings page and then browse the stations and experiment.
          Last edited by Paul Webster; 2021-03-29, 10:55.
          Paul Webster

Comment

• slartibartfast
            • Jan 2010

Turns out that planetradio mislabels their streams and I am using the same streams that you linked to.
            For example
            JazzFM - labelled as adtshq48 but what is really streaming is 128k - and it is using the same URL as listed on astra2sat site.
            If you want to experiment then simply remove the filter in the settings page and then browse the stations and experiment.

I understand that there are some 192k streams somewhere ... try radiofeeds to see if they are there.
            Greatest Hits Radio seems to have the same streams for both HQ and LQ settings.

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF

Comment

• slartibartfast
              • Jan 2010

What are adts streams? They don't play for me.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                • Apr 2005

Some work if you have PlayHLS v2 installed.
                Paul Webster

Comment

• slartibartfast
                  • Jan 2010

Some work if you have PlayHLS v2 installed.
                  I must have been unlucky with all the ones I tried then [emoji3]

Comment

• Paul Webster
                    • Apr 2005

Use the More in LMS to find out the URL and try it in VLC or other tools.
                    Paul Webster

Comment

• slartibartfast
                      • Jan 2010

Use the More in LMS to find out the URL and try it in VLC or other tools.
                      Maybe I was just impatient, they are very slow to start playing [emoji3]

Comment

• Paul Webster
                        • Apr 2005

0.0.2a released
                        - emergency fix for Daylight Savings Time while working on something better
                        Last edited by Paul Webster; 2021-03-28, 12:52.
                        Paul Webster

Comment

• Paul Webster
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                          Maybe I was just impatient, they are very slow to start playing [emoji3]
                          ADTS - Audio Data Transport Stream
                          AAC inside MPEG2 transport stream it seems.

Maybe it was not PlayHLS that made it work - anyway ... as you saw/heard ... it can work via LMS.
                          Paul Webster

Comment

• slartibartfast
                            • Jan 2010

I still don't see any track info with the latest release. Do any streams have it?

Edit I checked again and now the track info is showing.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                              • Apr 2005

They are not 100% reliable in providing timely updates to the track info.
                              The way to check to see if it is a plugin issue is to look at the station via planetradio.co.uk
                              Paul Webster

Comment

Working...