Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Streaming 24bit 192Khz files

Hi I have recently downloaded a Hi Rez Neil young album 24bit/192Khz FLAC . When streaming to a Squeezebox 2 it does play but appears to have buffering issues? Does not appear to be a local network issue, as my GE LAN is running at service noise levels. . Is this to be expected with Hi RES files on a SB2? Can I transcode at the server to a lower res just for SB2's? . Server is 8.1.2 running on a TrueNAS jail with lots of resources available?

Thanks,

Sfraser
    Home Office
    SB2->Benchmark DAC-1-> Bryston P-25, preamp -> Carver M1.0t Amp->PMC TB2
    Home Theater System#1
    SB2-> Emotiva PrePro->Bryston 9B ST -> PSB Stratus Goldi
    /Home Theater System #2/ LazyEye Bar
    Pi3 w/7" screen/HiFiBerry DAC>Outlaw 976-> Bryston 3B ->Klipsch La Scala's, 2x Bryston 4B (mono) EV 18" subwoofers
    Bedroom System
    SB2-> Sony BoomBox
    Rear Deck/Patio
    Pi4 --> Yamaha Receiver-> PSB Mini's,
    Kitchen
    Pi4 --> Yamaha Receiver -> Polk Ceiling Speakers
    Ensuite
    Squeeze Radio

Quote Originally Posted by sfraser View Post
    Hi I have recently downloaded a Hi Rez Neil young album 24bit/192Khz FLAC . When streaming to a Squeezebox 2 it does play but appears to have buffering issues? Does not appear to be a local network issue, as my GE LAN is running at service noise levels. . Is this to be expected with Hi RES files on a SB2? Can I transcode at the server to a lower res just for SB2's? . Server is 8.1.2 running on a TrueNAS jail with lots of resources available?

Thanks,

Sfraser
    It is being transcoded by the server. Only your Pi3 is capable of playing 24/192 without transcoding.

Most of your players are capable of 24/48 only. Not sure what the max is for an SB2.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Or a DAC32.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    Or a DAC32.
    Itís not 24/192 actually. Read the specs
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Supported Sample Rates 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 (automatic resampling to 96 kHz), 192 kHz (automatic resampling to 96 kHz) @ 16 or 24 bit

The DAC32 supports 192/24 without needing LMS to transcode so if the OP wants to play that file, or others, it will do so without problems.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller

Supported Sample Rates 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 (automatic resampling to 96 kHz), 192 kHz (automatic resampling to 96 kHz) @ 16 or 24 bit

The DAC32 supports 192/24 without needing LMS to transcode so if the OP wants to play that file, or others, it will do so without problems.
    I specifically asked PolyVection in the DAC32 thread whether the downsampling was on the client as this is what is implied. They said down sampling by LMS. I think itís misleading.

Edit. My question is on page 35 of the DAC32 thread. Their answer is a few posts later.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-03-28 at 04:55.

Ahh, did not see that.

Ahh, did not see that.
    I do think it might be worth asking again as the specs very clearly imply client side downsampling and PolyVectionís answer to my question was by Bob. He might be wrong and the specs are right.
    Dining Room SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I do think it might be worth asking again as the specs very clearly imply client side downsampling and PolyVectionís answer to my question was by Bob. He might be wrong and the specs are right.
    In 16 bits mode, squeezelite-esp32 supports 192/24 but samples are truncated to 16. Iíve never tested extensively but I think flac and pcm work although the cpu really suffers.

In 32 bits mode, which I added recently, Iíve not tried 192/24 but in their fork, PolyVection has probably limited the supported rates to 96 and this is likely wise. I will try later today what happens with 192/24

So, 192/24 in DAC32 as of today AFAIK means downsample in LMS to 96/24 which is only puncturing.

Last comment b/c I canít help it but 192 is useless (I wonít say anything on 24) so you losing nothing anyway. I hesitated to leave it in squeezelite-esp32 but I did for the fun of testing the limit of the cpu.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    In 16 bits mode, squeezelite-esp32 supports 192/24 but samples are truncated to 16. Iíve never tested extensively but I think flac and pcm work although the cpu really suffers.

In 32 bits mode, which I added recently, Iíve not tried 192/24 but in their fork, PolyVection has probably limited the supported rates to 96 and this is likely wise. I will try later today what happens with 192/24

So, 192/24 in DAC32 as of today AFAIK means downsample in LMS to 96/24 which is only puncturing.

Last comment b/c I canít help it but 192 is useless (I wonít say anything on 24) so you losing nothing anyway. I hesitated to leave it in squeezelite-esp32 but I did for the fun of testing the limit of the cpu.
    Just did the test, I can confirm that 24/192 does not fly in 32 bits mode. I'll remove it in next release
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3