Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth to upgrade for Rpi3 + Allo Digione?

Hi All
    I have for many years the following player: Rpi3 + Allo Digione + LCD touchscreen + linear PSU.
    The software is Picoreplayer, I have to say that I really like this player and love the PCP interface however as it's free years old I'm wondering, is there any available upgrade that would significantly improve the audio quality?

Thanks

If you are happy, stick with it. That is a solid device.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Improving upon the sound quality with that setup would be virtually impossible. I do like some of the features of piCorePlayer 7.0 (but none of these have to do with sound quality). And that's easy to update to in any case with your current hardware.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I agree completely with the other two replies, it is indeed virtually impossible to upgrade such a setup sound quality wise.
    My advice: keep using it until something breaks!
    Living Room: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
    Attic: HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
    Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
    LMS: Version 8.1.x on Xubuntu 20.04LTS

Quote Originally Posted by zordaz View Post
    I agree completely with the other two replies, it is indeed virtually impossible to upgrade such a setup sound quality wise.
    My advice: keep using it until something breaks!
    Unless you're looking for a project. You could upgrade to a Pi4 and get a slightly faster user interface.

i use digione as well. the only upgrade path that i found was using a 3.3v power supply to power both a pi zero and the digione. 5v is not required for either zero or digione unless you need to attach a usb. and on the way you bypass a few convertors here and there and have a cleaner path, i discovered.

the WM8805 chip from Wolfson on the digione is a 3.3v device therefore back and forth conversion to 5v is completely unnecessary.

Thx guys, so the Digione signature with clean and dirty power wouldn't improve the sound quality?

Looking also at the option to move to USB Bridge as it seems native DSD files are not supported via coax

I think so.

I think so it would be better sound.
    The reviews from Darko and Hans has been good.
    I switched from rpi3's usb to rpi4 + allo digione signature. unfortunately I cant make it work. the digione sig. does get any output. tried changing many settings.
    awaiting response from allo's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by djbusters View Post
    I think so it would be better sound.
    The reviews from Darko and Hans has been good.
    I switched from rpi3's usb to rpi4 + allo digione signature. unfortunately I cant make it work. the digione sig. does get any output. tried changing many settings.
    awaiting response from allo's forum.

Which OS are you using ?

Both boards use the same overlay.

Are you powering them up in the correct order ?

ronnie