Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spontaneous volume reduction

For a week or two now I've been experiencing my synced players spontaneously going quiet without me apparently doing anything. I can't put my finger on what's causing it. I have a niggling feeling it's something to do with the DAC32, because it's part of the sync group that's experiencing the volume reductions, and whenever it happens I see that the DAC32's volume has reduced to zero, while other players that may have been louder to start with still have a non-zero volume. It could also be related to the fact that I started listening to Greatest Hits radio more frequently. Or it could have been an LMS update (currently on Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1614413430).

I've checked the obvious things that I can think of - I'm not using any volume adjustment, and the synced players don't have synced volume.

So I'll obviously have to do some trouble-shooting, but I wondered whether anyone else was experiencing similar.

What else is in the sync group?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Two Booms and two pCPs.

Wow, hey, I've been noticing the same thing! I have a sync group consisting of one SB Touch, one SB Radio, and one SB Duet-Receiver. It's always the SB Touch that is spontaneously at 0 volume. It's never happened to me during playback but it just seems that randomly I'll come back to the group, hit play, and two players "work" and the touch is at zero volume.

I try to keep everything up to date and it's a relatively recent phenomenon. I do use Material skin, and I have an android tablet (actually a kindle fire) that is more or less permanently running the android material app (sideloaded) with the SB Touch selected as what's being displayed/controlled in the group. I had recently power cycled the Touch hoping that would fix it (it didn't) and was next going to just power off the tablet for a while to see if that had anything to do with it? It doesn't seem likely though since I've been running that app for quite some time and it pre-dates this phenomenon.

I'm running LMS on a mac on Mojave.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by the_arm View Post
    It's never happened to me during playback but it just seems that randomly I'll come back to the group, hit play, and two players "work" and the touch is at zero volume.
    That's exactly what I'm experiencing too.

I do also have three Jogglers around the house running Jivelite. The screensaver I'm running causes occasional crashes on a couple of them, but that was happening for a long time before the volume changes started happening.

I'll enable some server logging to see if there are any clues the next time it happens.

I'm happy to do the same - any advice on what I should enable to capture the info?

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    That's exactly what I'm experiencing too.
    Actually that's not true - I have noticed it once or twice during playback. I wasn't anywhere near any of the controls, and the volume just reduced without me doing anything. I assumed the radio station had accidentally turned the playback volume down.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arm View Post
    I'm happy to do the same - any advice on what I should enable to capture the info?
    Not really! There are a lot of logging options, and I have no idea which ones would show a volume change. I've set player.sync to Debug. I'll keep looking.

I asked about other players as I have seen it when using a upnp player and switching back to a Pi
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Actually that's not true - I have noticed it once or twice during playback. I wasn't anywhere near any of the controls, and the volume just reduced without me doing anything. I assumed the radio station had accidentally turned the playback volume down.
    Good point, and I honestly don't use the group enough to say one way or another. The group is not in use WAY more than it is in use...