Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LMS stopped working on Synology after PERL update

My LMS stopped working today on my Synology NAS DS218+. It's still there but it does not start. PERL is updated to 5.28.3.-0077, and specifically mentions that LMS is EOL and will fail to start.
    So I want to try to downgrade PERL to the previous version and block automatic updates.
    But I cannot find the Synology PERL packages with older versions.
    So: What is the best way to downgrade PERL to the latest-1 version? Anyone knows where to find earlier PERL packages?
    All help is appreciated, the LMS is the main application on my NAS (together with PLEX).

BTW - I tried installing LMS in docker but did not manage to get it working. It seemed to install fine but I could not get a connection to the music folders. Hope the docker versions will be getting attention since all Synology users will run into this problem now or soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPvC View Post
    BTW - I tried installing LMS in docker but did not manage to get it working. It seemed to install fine but I could not get a connection to the music folders. Hope the docker versions will be getting attention since all Synology users will run into this problem now or soon.
    Hmm that's weird.. Usually for those unlucky to experience problems it's permissions of config folder which causes crashing... You said yours works but with no music folder? hmmm I would probably try again as I have same NAS and it works well on it. Surely docker is way to go as you want your NAS up to date so downgrading seems like bad idea
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Same thing happened to me, and I cannot run Docker on my NAS (DS214play).

Is there some other media server that will run on my Diskstation that can stream music to a Squeezebox?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Hmm that's weird.. Usually for those unlucky to experience problems it's permissions of config folder which causes crashing... You said yours works but with no music folder? hmmm I would probably try again as I have same NAS and it works well on it. Surely docker is way to go as you want your NAS up to date so downgrading seems like bad idea
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=999039
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

I will definitely try again because I'm not ready to part with my squeezeboxes yet. But Docker requires some skills beyond mine so this is a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Selym View Post

Is there some other media server that will run on my Diskstation that can stream music to a Squeezebox?
    Not sure, even if you get smth running it probably won't be as smooth experience.. I would advise you to get yourself raspberry pi with piCorePlayer for LMS.. Optionally with dac hat it usb dac which will give you another player.

Its fairly easy and cheap but if you are not comfortable you could preorder Core32 for plug and play LMS (although it's not yet shipping..so you will have some downtime )

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPvC View Post
    I will definitely try again because I'm not ready to part with my squeezeboxes yet. But Docker requires some skills beyond mine so this is a challenge
    Have a look at the link I sent.. I tried to put tutorial while ago... Quite few people found it helpful.. If you struggle just ask

And yeah lms now is rocking with material skin you can't get better then squeezebox.. So yeah don't ditch it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Selym View Post

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=1015943
    Maybe as temporary solution?

Not sure, even if you get smth running it probably won't be as smooth experience.. I would advise you to get yourself raspberry pi with piCorePlayer for LMS.. Optionally with dac hat it usb dac which will give you another player.

Its fairly easy and cheap but if you are not comfortable you could preorder Core32 for plug and play LMS (although it's not yet shipping..so you will have some downtime )
    Thanks for the information!

It just occurred to me that I can probably run LMS on my Diskstation under my existing chroot-ed Debian installation. If that doesn't work out, I will likely pursue the Raspberry Pi, or even an Intel NUC.

Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated!

Myles

HUGE thanks for this. Your manual definitely helped me installing the docker package. And it worked immediately.
    I had to change one thing: my music files are in the shared music folder on the NAS, for which Synology has its own permissions. the standard permissions (PUID 99 and PGID 100) did not work and left the music directory empty. (This was my previous problem)
    Setting these to root (0) solved that problem for now but I have to think of a better solution.

Also, I may get back to you with a question about symlink, because I also have music in a different directory...

Feels like you saved an important part of my life ;-)