Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Players disconnecting but online

I didn't know where to post this- I'm having issues with *some* but not all of my players dropping off LMS on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes it's a Radio or Controller, they show a BLUE wifi icon. Sometimes It's my recievers that show a DIM WHITE icon.

At first I thought it might be signal but I have a fairly decent wireless router- and something I noticed, they appear online to my router, they have a DHCP lease, and they respond to PINGS, but LMS doesn't pick them up until I reboot them.

Any ideas where to look?

According to LMS they're all in the 95-100% signal range (when they're there).
    1 Touch
    4 Receivers
    3 Controllers
    3 Radios
    (I think I have a problem)

Quote Originally Posted by FredFredrickson View Post
    I didn't know where to post this- I'm having issues with *some* but not all of my players dropping off LMS on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes it's a Radio or Controller, they show a BLUE wifi icon. Sometimes It's my recievers that show a DIM WHITE icon.

At first I thought it might be signal but I have a fairly decent wireless router- and something I noticed, they appear online to my router, they have a DHCP lease, and they respond to PINGS, but LMS doesn't pick them up until I reboot them.

Any ideas where to look?

According to LMS they're all in the 95-100% signal range (when they're there).
    The fact they have DHCP leases is a red herring. The lease is for a period of time whether the device is connected or not.

My money is on you having dodgy WiFi. Note Signal Strength is not any guide. You can have 100% signal strength but zero WiFi due to interference.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The fact they have DHCP leases is a red herring. The lease is for a period of time whether the device is connected or not.

My money is on you having dodgy WiFi. Note Signal Strength is not any guide. You can have 100% signal strength but zero WiFi due to interference.
    I can ping the players and the ping responds.

Is there something more I can do to check the connections?
    1 Touch
    4 Receivers
    3 Controllers
    3 Radios

I can ping the players and the ping responds.

Is there something more I can do to check the connections?
    If the devices are pinging then look at the LMS server logs for errors.

Is the machine running LMS wired?
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

If the devices are pinging then look at the LMS server logs for errors.

Is the machine running LMS wired?
    I'll take a look. Any idea what logging I should enable? There's nothing that stands out.. at the moment.

The server is a Win 10 box with firewall disabled and is wired gigabit connection.

The devices come back online when I restart them but it looks like over the course of the day they "drop" and never re-associate.
    1 Touch
    4 Receivers
    3 Controllers
    3 Radios

I'm having issues with *some* but not all of my players dropping off LMS on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes it's a Radio or Controller, they show a BLUE wifi icon. Sometimes It's my recievers that show a DIM WHITE icon.
    The BLUE icon indicates some difficulty with the connection to LMS, despite the network itself being "good". If they have lost their network connection I'd expect to see RED.

That doesn't tell you why, though. I'd be asking myself "Has anything changed recently ?"

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    The BLUE icon indicates some difficulty with the connection to LMS, despite the network itself being "good". If they have lost their network connection I'd expect to see RED.

That doesn't tell you why, though. I'd be asking myself "Has anything changed recently ?"
    What's changed is that I've added a few new boxes to my setup (from ebay) and started using it over amazon echos on a daily basis.

Blue points us in a new direction. what direction should I look?
    1 Touch
    4 Receivers
    3 Controllers
    3 Radios

Are you running most/all synchronised?

How many Echoĺs or should that be Echoes?
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Are you running most/all synchronised?

How many Echoĺs or should that be Echoes?
    I have about 5 echos throughout the house, but i'm not using them for music anymore, so it's squeezebox only on the music side.

The players that drop out are indeed in sync groups. 2 are SB Receivers, 1 is a radio. The controller isn't that big of a deal as I rarely use it and it's not required for audio.
    1 Touch
    4 Receivers
    3 Controllers
    3 Radios

I'll take a look. Any idea what logging I should enable? There's nothing that stands out.. at the moment.

The server is a Win 10 box with firewall disabled and is wired gigabit connection.

The devices come back online when I restart them but it looks like over the course of the day they "drop" and never re-associate.
    Reboot the W10 box.
    W10 is really terrible as far as network reliability.
    Assuming you're wifi network is not the problem, ourchase a raspberry pi and run picoreplayer on it with LMS.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity