Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PERL5LIB in RPM distribution (CentOS/Fedora/RedHat/SUSE)

Hi,

While I was looking at using a systemd unit file in RPM distribution of Logitech Media Server (see here) I also repaired the creation of a symbolic link to the Slim PERL libraries for SUSE systems and added a creation of a symbolic link for 64-bit CentOS/Fedora/RedHat systems. This is in place in the latest nightlies of version 8.2.

However, I think there is a much simpler solution to ensure that the Logitech Media Server always finds Slim PERL libraries and that is to use the environment variable PERL5LIB.

By setting PERL5LIB to /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl either in the systemd unit file like this:

Code:
    Environment="PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
    or in the SYSV init script like this:

Code:
    export PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
    It would always be ensured that the squeezeboxserver executable use the correct Slim PERL libraries.

I wonder why nobody has introduced this earlier, and the only reason I can think of is that I am overlooking something. I would appreciate if someone has any experience of this or any explanation why this hasn't been introduced already. Using PERL5LIB for this purpose would simplify the RPM post-install script,

I have tested this on my own system and I can't find any issues, but my set-up is very straight-forward, just a basic installation and some few plugins.

Regards, Johan

PERL5LIB in RPM distribution(CentOS/Fedora/RedHat/SUSE)

> I wonder why nobody has introduced this earlier, and the only reason I
    > can think of is that I am overlooking something. I would appreciate if

I'd rather think that nobody cared about it. It did work or not. Feel
    free to submit a PR.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    I'd rather think that nobody cared about it. It did work or not. Feel free to submit a PR.
    OK, I'll create a pull request in a few days. I want to do some more testing. Is the RPM package not much used then?

Regards, Johan

Pull request