Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

External Storage for older HP495

Hi there

With my series of 2 TB HDDs now at critical size with data - all this still with WHS Ver 1, looking at the best dollar option for increasing storage.

A way back, Mediasonic external HDD storage units were used by several folks.

I'm wondering what the current take on this is. Are there better options for that external storage given I want to retain WHS Ver 1 on this unit, or if I want to retain the HP unit, a better software option that will permit me to utilize HDD's with greater than 2 TB size.

Again, understood what folks did a while back with this, but interested in more recent options.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by terra3 View Post
    Hi there

With my series of 2 TB HDDs now at critical size with data - all this still with WHS Ver 1, looking at the best dollar option for increasing storage.

A way back, Mediasonic external HDD storage units were used by several folks.

I'm wondering what the current take on this is. Are there better options for that external storage given I want to retain WHS Ver 1 on this unit, or if I want to retain the HP unit, a better software option that will permit me to utilize HDD's with greater than 2 TB size.

Again, understood what folks did a while back with this, but interested in more recent options.

Thanks in advance
    Any decent NAS can provide the storage
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

In that, do you mean external storage for the HP using its existing system, or moving to a new NAS/new system?

I had thought a separate NAS couldn't be connected through eSata to these HP's simply to provide additional storage using the HP's system files?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by terra3 View Post
    In that, do you mean external storage for the HP using its existing system, or moving to a new NAS/new system?

I had thought a separate NAS couldn't be connected through eSata to these HP's simply to provide additional storage using the HP's system files?

Thanks again
    I mean a NAS as storage not to run LMS etc but connected not via eSata but via network drive.
    It would then allow you to at some point replace the HP/WHS without having to move all your files.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS