Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Will it connect to a different SSID? eg a mobile phone hotspot?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    One small thing ... the MAC address does match
    Code:
    ifconfig results:
    wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr DC:A6:32:72:44:06
    Do you have any way to plugin USB keyboard and a directly attached screen?
    Yes, I can open up the case and plug my little USB keyboard to the RPi. Of course I have NO idea what to type in at that point and would need some instruction.

I did find a possible problem regarding the RPi not obtaining a DHCP-supplied IP address: - there is a default piCorePlayer boot code setting "nodhcp" that was checked. I un-checked that as a test and now on boot piCorePlayer is making a udhcpc:sending discover request that returns a DHCP-supplied IP address from the router. I took a picture of the screen during boot, but the image upload to the forum fails for an unspecified reason. Here's the relevants lines from that boot:

Starting wifi...
    Starting WiFi on wlan0...
    udhcpc: started, v1.31.1
    udhcpc: sending discover
    udhcpc: sending select for 192.168.1.4
    udhcpc: leae of 192.168.1.4 obtained, lease time 86400
    deleting routers
    route: SIOCDELRT: no such process
    adding dns 192.168.1.1
    Done.

I don't know how to interpret the above properly, it makes me think that the RPi got the DHCP address. The note about "deleting routers" looks a bit ominous.

By default the "nodhcp" boot variable was checked, and that appears to mean that piCorePlayer was not asking the router for an IP address.

Unchecking that variable, saving, and rebooting the RPi produces a request for an IP lease during boot, and the router responded with supplying a nice new IP address (192.168.1.4 in thise case). The router console now shows the RPi device name as "PICOREPLAYER".

That said, the main issue still exists - I can not access the piCorePlayer web GUI over the WiFi connection. The newly-assigned IP address is 192.168.1.4 as per the router console and the piCorePlayer information page on the RPi's 7" touch screen, and the MAC addresses are still different by 1. When I enter that as the URL (http://192.168.1.4) the request times out. A ping to 192.168.1.4 from Win10 over the WiFi network time out, but ping works fine when the RPi is connected by ethernet to the router.

Any ideas where I might look next?

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Will it connect to a different SSID? eg a mobile phone hotspot?
    I will try that out now.

- rob

Yes, I was able to update the WiFi SSID and password to my tbeetle_hotspot device via the piCorePlayer web GUI, clicked 'SAVE' and it saved - the RPi is now connected to my hotspot. The IP address has updated to a new one, the MAC address is still off by 1.

Now I've lost the ability to control the RPi from my Win10 device and the web GUI, so I will need to open up the RPi case and extract the SD card so I can update the WiFi settings in wpa_supplicant.conf - but at least we know the RPi can connect to things using WiFi.

I'll go point the RPi back at my router. Will take me a bit, though I am getting better at undoing the case. And I will connect the USB keyboard to the RPi while I'm at it.

- rob

Wow - learn something every day: I shut down my hotspot that the RPi was connected, rebooted the RPi, and the RPi came back up on the ethernet-connected router. I was then able to update the SSID/pwd using the piCorePlayer web GUI. I would not have expected that.

So now I know the RPi can connect via WiFi, I know I can still use the web-GUI via the ethernet cable, and I know I can get the router to DHCP-supply an IP address to the RPi. What I don't yet know is how to troubleshoot why the RPi/piCorePlayer don't want to talk to the router over WiFi.

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob macfarlane View Post
    Wow - learn something every day: I shut down my hotspot that the RPi was connected, rebooted the RPi, and the RPi came back up on the ethernet-connected router. I was then able to update the SSID/pwd using the piCorePlayer web GUI. I would not have expected that.

So now I know the RPi can connect via WiFi, I know I can still use the web-GUI via the ethernet cable, and I know I can get the router to DHCP-supply an IP address to the RPi. What I don't yet know is how to troubleshoot why the RPi/piCorePlayer don't want to talk to the router over WiFi.

- rob
    So Pi connects ok to another SSID
    You know that it apparently also connects to your router SSID and gets an IP or is that wrong?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    So Pi connects ok to another SSID
    You know that it apparently also connects to your router SSID and gets an IP or is that wrong?
    Yes - you have that correct: When I connect the RPi to my router the router now hands a DHCP IP address back to the RPi, the RPi appears on the router console as connected. The MAC addresses between the router console and piCorePlayer info on the 7" touch screen are still different by 1.

- rob

What is your SSID? Create for test a simple password like 12345678
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

The SSID is BEETLE_NETGEAR, I can change the password to 12345678.

What next?

- rob

I think the MAC address is correct - see my earlier post (you might have missed it because of another one just afterwards).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland