Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vrobin View Post
    Hi Philippe,

Thanks for the information... I'll do a little digging in the squeezelite-esp32 repository. I'll look at the model number advertised by squeezelite-esp32.

Allow me to take advantage of you reading this thread on asking a few questions on squeezelite-eps32 (maybe I'll find answer by myself in the project doc):
    * Can I built a squeezelite-esp32 with only an esp32 board and some off the shelf breadboard, without having to build an electronic card from scratch?
    (I need SPDIF output to connect to digital amplifier, IR receiver on a GPIO for remote control and OLED screen SPI)
    * Is the esp32 powerful/stable enough for standard audio play? (no need for DSD512 ).
    1/ yes, absolutely - take a a raw WROVER module, connect flying wires and you are good to go :-). Now, you can take *any* board that uses an esp32 with 4MB of Flash and 4MB of SRAM and it will work. You'll have everything you asked above
    2/ totally, it is really rock solid, playing hours. You can ask on the forum. In fact, candidly I was not expecting such stability when we started that project with @sle118
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.p..._protocol.html has the list:

The Device ID of the player.
    '2' is squeezebox. '3' is softsqueeze, '4' is squeezebox2,. '5' is transporter, '6' is softsqueeze3, '7' is receiver, '8' is squeezeslave, '9' is controller, '10' is boom, '11' is softboom, '12' is squeezeplay
    List is completed on the forum with: ** radio(13) ** touch(14 )

Squeezelite says helo as a squeezeplay:
    pkt.deviceid = 12; // squeezeplay

In squeeze-esp32, things are less clear...

u8_t custom_player_id = 12;

void embedded_init(void) {
    mutex_create(slimp_mutex);
    sb_controls_init();
    custom_player_id = sb_display_init() ? 100 : 101;
    }

I don't know the use of embedded_init, but 100/101 player_id seems strange.
    It's because I've created my own class of player in LMS to better support extensions like artwork, equalizer and a few goodies. So 100 and 101 (headless) are these but in case the Perl plugin is not installed on LMS, I default to squeezelite type, i.e. 12
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    To add to @bpa advice, if you really want the exact LMS screen, you really should look at my code on squeezelite-esp32. I even have a independent set of drivers exactly for the type of screens you want to use. You can start from scratch, but it's a fair bit of work as the handling of bitmap and background and scrolling is a bit funny. It's not just display the bitmap, unless you tell LMS you don't have local scrolling capabilities, in which case it will do it for you (but more jumpy)

Your call, but it will probably save you a fair bit of time if you want a legacy SB box. Now, I think there is a project which give external display for squeezelite (I'm not talking about JiveLite of course) but the name is escaping me now. It will not be a copycat of a SB, but I think it's fairly complete to have a text display
    Having an exact SB3 screen would be nice, but I can live with a more simple screen interaction:
    * display playing song
    * progression bar
    * time and alarm clock when music is off

I do most of my browsing with a phone, but I want to see the currently playing song and I want to see if the alarm clock to wake me up in the morning is correctly set .

Maybe, the project you refer to is: https://github.com/shunte88/LMSMonitor ?

At the moment, I don't know exactly the road I will follow...
    * raspi with Mono OLED and custom small in house tool
    * raspi with Mono OLED and LMSMonitor
    * esp32 with squeezeesp32
    * raspi with LCD and jivelite (it's an option if I can control LCD backlight/brightness)

I have a raspi running with piCorePlayer and an IR receiver... both an OLED display and a full blown 5" LCD display are on their way from china and I think I have an esp32 somewhere in a cardboard box...

Let's dive again in squeezeesp32 repository .

1/ yes, absolutely - take a a raw WROVER module, connect flying wires and you are good to go :-). Now, you can take *any* board that uses an esp32 with 4MB of Flash and 4MB of SRAM and it will work. You'll have everything you asked above
    2/ totally, it is really rock solid, playing hours. You can ask on the forum. In fact, candidly I was not expecting such stability when we started that project with @sle118
    I have a firebeetle esp32, but it will be too short on RAM.
    I've checked but I'm a bit lost between flavor of ESP32 (32-S with SPI -external?- SRAM, 32-WROVER, 32 WROOM).

An esp32 + a few flying wire is tempting... how about SPDIF? (digital amp has both coax and spdif connectors)

It's because I've created my own class of player in LMS to better support extensions like artwork, equalizer and a few goodies. So 100 and 101 (headless) are these but in case the Perl plugin is not installed on LMS, I default to squeezelite type, i.e. 12
    It makes sense .

Let's dig into this repository (bis ).

I've checked but I'm a bit lost between flavor of ESP32 (32-S with SPI -external?- SRAM, 32-WROVER, 32 WROOM).

An esp32 + a few flying wire is tempting... how about SPDIF? (digital amp has both coax and spdif connectors)
    Reading readme.md, I found a link to https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...icated-thread)
    All answers will probably be there...

Spdif optical is direct, you need 2 resistors for coax. The SW does the trick of reusing an i2s link to create a spdif compatible stream
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-03-16 at 19:18.

Yes, this one is a WROOM module, not a WROVER. The WROVER is the one with additional PSRAM.

Use WROVER-based board or make sure the chip-level board uses a esp32 chip (not the s2 version) with 4MB external PSRAM, like the A1S module does

Yes, this one is a WROOM module, not a WROVER. The WROVER is the one with additional PSRAM.

Use WROVER-based board or make sure the chip-level board uses a esp32 chip (not the s2 version) with 4MB external PSRAM, like the A1S module does
    I ordered both:
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08575TGCX/
    and https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07VNG9D52/

I hope it will work

Thank you very much everyone... now, I have 4 different projects instead of just 1

Regarding Toslink/SPDIF, are there some posts/wiki docs to help? I saw that SqueezeAMP has such an option, but I just need the SPDIF (or preferably toslink) interface.

Do you think it would make sense to use something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32971114907.html

retrieve brightness from squeezelite to drive an OLED screen

I ordered both:
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08575TGCX/
    and https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07VNG9D52/

I hope it will work

Thank you very much everyone... now, I have 4 different projects instead of just 1

Regarding Toslink/SPDIF, are there some posts/wiki docs to help? I saw that SqueezeAMP has such an option, but I just need the SPDIF (or preferably toslink) interface.

Do you think it would make sense to use something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32971114907.html
    I always forget which one is the optical but if this is what you need, then all you have to do is connect a optical transducer like a PLT133/W or anything similar to one GPIO, nothing else to do.
    What you have here in this link is more sophisticated as it transcodes but I assume then this one would need to be connected as a regular DAC to the I2S bus
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-03-17 at 10:04.