Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    That sounds interesting, have you a link for download.
    Thanks
    The link is in what you quoted.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software...ry-pi-desktop/
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

https://www.turnkeylinux.org/core worth a look, I like it for headless applications i's no puppy or Tinycore but the out of the box web management is great.
    Bonne chance...Strebor

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    I use Raspberry Pi Desktop on an old PC, and it works well. Not as simple as pcp of course, but it's lightweight and there's something quite nice about using OS from a Pi to recycle an old pc into something useable.
    Thanks psketch it does look interesting but is quite a big OS. The thin clients I have are about 1GHz, 2GB ssd aned 2GB memory.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You were down this path before see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-run-LMS-on-PC

I suspect same suggestion may be made that you have already explored.

It might help if you could explain why for example LMS would not run under puppy Linux - was it missing libraries, wrong version of perl, incompatibility etc.
    Quite honestly bpa it was too complicated for me so I stopped that approach.

I'm running LMS on an Odroid HC1 using DietPi Linux which was very easy to get working. DietPi is available for X86 so maybe that would be a good option to try just for LMS. I don't know how you would get on hooking up a touchscreen and running Jivelite, but piCorePlayer is perfect for that.

Regards, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Agnew View Post
    I'm running LMS on an Odroid HC1 using DietPi Linux which was very easy to get working. DietPi is available for X86 so maybe that would be a good option to try just for LMS. I don't know how you would get on hooking up a touchscreen and running Jivelite, but piCorePlayer is perfect for that.

Regards, Steve.
    Thats interesting Steve, I have run DietPi on it before. How did you install LMS?
    I don't need a touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    Thats interesting Steve, I have run DietPi on it before. How did you install LMS?
    I don't need a touchscreen.
    It is pretty simple and takes about 15 minutes.

install DietPi and run the initial setup and update.

In Dietpi-Config

Change locale to en_NZ.UTF8
    Change time zone to Pacific/Auckland

Using DietPi-Software, select Samba and LMS then Install selected software.

I'm using an SSD, so to set that up:

Plug in the SSD and check dmesg to see if there were any problems accessing it.

apt-get install gdisk
    run gdisk and create 1 x 8GB partition and 1 x remainder
    sudo mke2fs -t ext4 -L rootfs /dev/sda1
    sudo mke2fs -t ext4 -L shared /dev/sda2

run dietpi-drive_manager

format both partitions on the SSD and then transfer the root file system to SSD.

mount sda1 as /mnt/rootfs
    mount sda2 as /mnt/shared

reboot & test

create directories for music and playlists.

mkdir /mnt/shared/music
    mkdir /mnt/shared/playlists

The hardest part for me was setting up Samba. I wanted to set up an unrestricted shared folder, which worked fine from my Mac but not from my brother's PC. Current versions of Windows require that you have a user code and password for your remote share, so you need to set up a user account in DietPi just to give you access to the shared directories.

adduser admin
    passwd admin
    smbpasswd -a admin

Then in /etc/samba/smb.conf

[music]
    comment = Music Folder
    path = /mnt/shared/music
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = no
    valid users = admin
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777

That should get you going. I've set up 3 HC1s so far - two for me and one for my brother. As a DIY project it is as simple as it gets and they work really well. I can see the benefit of someone else managing software updates for me which is why I have ordered a couple of the Core-32 micro servers devices from Polyvection to try out.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Agnew View Post
    It is pretty simple and takes about 15 minutes.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks Steve, I will have a go. May be sometime.

Have you thought of using Docker, especially as you say you don't need Jivelite ? There is a great image available now, it's what I use on my server. As you can run docker on a PI, I would think most thin clients would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by trythat View Post
    Have you thought of using Docker, especially as you say you don't need Jivelite ? There is a great image available now, it's what I use on my server. As you can run docker on a PI, I would think most thin clients would work well.
    I do need Jivelite but not a touchscreen