Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simple Linux OS for Jivelite, LMS on PC

Hello
    Is there a simple linux OS that will run Jivelite and LMS on a PC. Something like pCP but for a PC. I do run Daphile but
    I would like Open Source to tinker with. The world is awash with very cheap thin clients and I still find Raspberry Pis expensive
    and easily damaged. I have two systems with pCP and love it.
    Any ideas for PCs.
    Help appreciated.
    Thanks
    diode84

This thread might be helpful.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    This thread might be helpful.
    Thanks RobbH, I did see this but got very out of my depth. I will have another look at it.

You were down this path before see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-run-LMS-on-PC

I suspect same suggestion may be made that you have already explored.

It might help if you could explain why for example LMS would not run under puppy Linux - was it missing libraries, wrong version of perl, incompatibility etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You were down this path before see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-run-LMS-on-PC

I suspect same suggestion may be made that you have already explored.

It might help if you could explain why for example LMS would not run under puppy Linux - was it missing libraries, wrong version of perl, incompatibility etc.
    It got beyond my capabilities but I will have another try.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    ....It might help if you could explain why for example LMS would not run under puppy Linux - was it missing libraries, wrong version of perl, incompatibility etc.
    I consider myself a fan of Puppy Linux. It helped me get started with Linux, about fourteen years ago. Despite that, I would not consider it a good platform for LMS. It might be possible to make it work, but I think a lot of advanced tinkering would be required. I'm very happy with LMS running on a Raspberry Pi. But the thin client path sounds interesting, too.

If diode84 wants a simple solution, it's hard to beat piCorePlayer.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    I consider myself a fan of Puppy Linux. It helped me get started with Linux, about fourteen years ago. Despite that, I would not consider it a good platform for LMS. It might be possible to make it work, but I think a lot of advanced tinkering would be required. I'm very happy with LMS running on a Raspberry Pi. But the thin client path sounds interesting, too.

If diode84 wants a simple solution, it's hard to beat piCorePlayer.
    I run pCP on Raspberry Pis but would like to run similar on a thin client, that is the main thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    I run pCP on Raspberry Pis but would like to run similar on a thin client, that is the main thrust.
    Sorry, I hadn't picked up on that. I thought you were without a working system. Since you've already got something that works, you can take your time exploring the thin client options. Try to be patient with yourself while wrestling with some new concepts! Just remember that it's supposed to be fun.

I use Raspberry Pi Desktop on an old PC, and it works well. Not as simple as pcp of course, but it's lightweight and there's something quite nice about using OS from a Pi to recycle an old pc into something useable.

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    I use Raspberry Pi Desktop on an old PC, and it works well. Not as simple as pcp of course, but it's lightweight and there's something quite nice about using OS from a Pi to recycle an old pc into something useable.
    That sounds interesting, have you a link for download.
    Thanks