Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Virginmedia SH3 and Apple Airport as AP?

This is a long post but my question is straight forward. Can I get Apple Airport extreme to join (or extend) to the Virginmedia broadband router?
    If so, will another Apple express connect to the same network as an AP?

I'm in UK and on a 100mbps fibre cable modem/router. The wireless network is spotty due to poor router, interference (everyone in the neighbourhood uses auto tune on 2.4Mhz band) and living in a victorian two storey house with solid walls.

We have cat6 cables running the length of the house and upstairs to the office.

We currently have SH3 as router which provides 4 Gb ports and ac 2 band WiFi, and one unmanaged ethernet switch upstairs. This is on 2 SSID WPA.

I tried a few third party routers both were Linksys and they would work initially, but any problems were always passed off as modem (virgin) or router (Linksys) so we were on our own.

I reinstalled the virgin modem/router as although spotty it does work.

We have an extender which isn't useful for 5Mhz band upstairs. It's hard to know if it's effective as drop outs are still happening. This could be due to so many things that it's frustrating that we can't identify using this dumb thing.

So, my thoughts are that we can leave the virgin router provide 5Mhz WiFi downstairs and buy a reliable "n" AP device for the rest of downstairs and upstairs. Apple express and extreme routers are cheap and if they can be configured with our system that would be great.

1. Add the airport to existing wireless, or
    2. Extend the range.
    SB Touch (Community firmware v8.01) UE Radio, SMSL Sanskrit MkII, Talk Electronic Cyclone 1.2 amplifier. LMS 8.2 Snakeoil OS, HP t520 thin client.
    BBCiPlayer, BBC Sounds, Shairtunes2 plugins, edo applet

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    This is a long post but my question is straight forward. Can I get Apple Airport extreme to join (or extend) to the Virginmedia broadband router?
    If so, will another Apple express connect to the same network as an AP?

I'm in UK and on a 100mbps fibre cable modem/router. The wireless network is spotty due to poor router, interference (everyone in the neighbourhood uses auto tune on 2.4Mhz band) and living in a victorian two storey house with solid walls.

We have cat6 cables running the length of the house and upstairs to the office.

We currently have SH3 as router which provides 4 Gb ports and ac 2 band WiFi, and one unmanaged ethernet switch upstairs. This is on 2 SSID WPA.

I tried a few third party routers both were Linksys and they would work initially, but any problems were always passed off as modem (virgin) or router (Linksys) so we were on our own.

I reinstalled the virgin modem/router as although spotty it does work.

We have an extender which isn't useful for 5Mhz band upstairs. It's hard to know if it's effective as drop outs are still happening. This could be due to so many things that it's frustrating that we can't identify using this dumb thing.

So, my thoughts are that we can leave the virgin router provide 5Mhz WiFi downstairs and buy a reliable "n" AP device for the rest of downstairs and upstairs. Apple express and extreme routers are cheap and if they can be configured with our system that would be great.

1. Add the airport to existing wireless, or
    2. Extend the range.
    If you want cheap then the cheapest method is to re-provision an old router as an AP.
    You have a Linksys lying around.

Assuming the Virgin is router is 192.168.0.1
    Take your PC off the Virgin network and connect direct to Linksys router with cable
    If you haven't changed anything it will probably be on 192.168.1.1 and have DHCP enabled
    1) Change the Linksys IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.2
    2) Make sure the DHCP range on Linksys also changes to 192.168.0.X
    reboot PC and make sure you can still connect to Linksys but now
    3) Configure the wireless on the Linksys to suit
    4) Switch OFF DHCP

Connect back to the Virgin network - you should get a 192.168.0.X address
    Connect your new AP by wire to the Virgin router before moving it to its final destination upstairs

You should now be able to see the Linksys router and ping it on 192.168.0.2

If you already have a device using .2 change the above accordingly.

PS.
    Do not use the WAN port of the Linksys. Everything wired should be plugged into the LAN ports. If you were to site this in your upstairs office you could also use its LAN ports to replace the switch

If both the Virgin & Linksys are capable of running mulitple SSIDs then I'd do

MYWIFI
    MYWIFI-DOWN

MYWIFI
    MYWIFI-UP
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-03-12 at 03:28.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If you want cheap then the cheapest method is to re-provision an old router as an AP.
    You have a Linksys lying around.

If both the Virgin & Linksys are capable of running mulitple SSIDs then I'd do

MYWIFI
    MYWIFI-DOWN

MYWIFI
    MYWIFI-UP
    Is this what you mean?
    Mywifi2.4
    Mywifi-2.4-down
    Same for 5Mhz band

It's a good suggestion to use the Linksys as AP.
    I'll try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    Is this what you mean?
    Mywifi2.4
    Mywifi-2.4-down
    Same for 5Mhz band

It's a good suggestion to use the Linksys as AP.
    I'll try it soon.
    Best explained with example

I have 2 WAPs
    One down, one upstairs

I have a wireless SB upstairs
    If I reboot upstairs WAP it would try to connect to downstairs if it uses the roaming MYWIFI and will then stutter
    It won’t automatically reconnect to upstairs WAP
    To stop this I make it always connect to MYWIFI-UP

MYWFI SSID is on both WAPs with same credentials and used for phones etc that do really roam

The roaming capability of normal WAPs is patchy - not the case with Mesh though but you need 2 from the same manufacturer for that to really work properly

If money isn’t an issue then 2 x Draytek AP903s and switch off WiFi on Virgin crappy router. The Drayteks work with old SB devices that I own

EDIT - With the Drayteks you don't have to differentiate 2.4 and 5 - you use the same SSIDs for both frequencies and the client decides whther to use 5 or 2.4. Much simpler.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-03-12 at 05:29.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes