Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Rebuffering issues - LMS 8.1

I recently "improved" my LMS setup from a LMS 7.8 VortexBox-based system with spinning disk, connected to the network via a power-plug, which was working fine for 10 years or more, to a new 4Gb Raspberry-pi4 based system running the latest LMS 8.1.1, connected directly to the router, with OS and media files hosted on a 2TB SSD connected directly to the pi via USB3. So everything *should* be newer, better and faster. However I'm now experiencing far more rebuffering issues, even with basic mp3 files, than I ever did with my old system.

The only real difference between the setups, apart from the hardware, is that the new system runs Spotty, whereas the old one didn't until just before the migration (and was the main reason for the migration, as the family want to use Spotify through squeezebox devices) - but the rebuffering issues are when playing music direct from the SSD (to a wireless SB3 mainly) when I'm not even using Spotty, so that may be a red herring.

Could anyone offer any possible explanation and how to diagnose the issue? It's so bad I'm considering going back to my old setup.
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-03-10 at 11:02.
    muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

That is an unexpected outcome.

I guess the first things to look at are network performance figures on the RPi - perhaps using iPerf.

Easy thing to check though would be to connect the RPi to the saw LAN-over-power adapter with the same cable that the Vortex box was using just in case it is an issue with LAN cable or router port.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Easy thing to check though would be to connect the RPi to the saw LAN-over-power adapter with the same cable that the Vortex box was using just in case it is an issue with LAN cable or router port.
    Will try that, I did buy a Cat-7 cable (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1m-x...ork-rj45-cable) to ensure the connection is as good as possible but might try replacing it with a standard one for a while to see if that affects it (I have no idea what my other ones are).
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-03-10 at 14:11.
    muso developer

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    Will try that, I did buy a Cat-7 cable (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1m-x...ork-rj45-cable) to ensure the connection is as good as possible but might try replacing it with a standard one for a while to see if that affects it (I have no idea what my other ones are).
    A bad network connection should result in errors being logged. You could use netstat to see if there are any IP or TCP errors or timeouts on the network interface.

I switched from a wired to a wireless connection for my pi-4 and things seem to be more stable. Anyone else experience dropout/buffering issues with LMS on a wired pi-4 ?
    muso developer

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    I switched from a wired to a wireless connection for my pi-4 and things seem to be more stable. Anyone else experience dropout/buffering issues with LMS on a wired pi-4 ?
    I am not experiencing such issues with a pi-4 wired connection. Did you try swapping out Ethernet cables, as it could be a cable problem?

@jezbo

Random thoughts:-

Does the buffering happen only on streaming files from the internet or on the local LMS files ?

You don't say which OS you are running on the SSD

Is the rpi boot-eeprom up-to-date ? how did you load the OS Image onto the SSD ?

Maybe try using a usb2 connection and/or powering the SSD seperately

Check server logs

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Does the buffering happen only on streaming files from the internet or on the local LMS files ?
    It is with local files from SSD also, as stated in opening post. My question is, are players in sync? (I count about 10 players from TO's signature.) Almost every time I was experiencing rebuffering issues, it could have been solved on the player side, like removing an offline player from sync group. In particular, after updating LMS it is always a good idea to clear the sync table, reboot every player, and rebuild sync group step by step to find out which player player might cause a problem. (edit: Uncertain, as this is a new setup with LMS 8 on RPi4.)

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    You don't say which OS you are running on the SSD
    This is true.
    Last edited by palatin8; 2021-04-19 at 17:56.