Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    Interesting. I can't see how a closed aluminum case would dissipate heat better than having the cpu with the small heatsink attached exposed to the ambient temp of about 23C?

A difference of 41C to 55C is substantial.
    Because the aluminium case is in contact with the CPU and is a much better heatsink than the small attached one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Because the aluminium case is in contact with the CPU and is a much better heatsink than the small attached one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Ah, that makes sense then. The brief sales description on Amazon doesn't mention that. I took a look at more detailed description and can see how it and the Flirc case make that direct contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    Interesting. I can't see how a closed aluminum case would dissipate heat better than having the cpu with the small heatsink attached exposed to the ambient temp of about 23C?
    Because the case is the heatsink, the Flirc case "touches" the CPU ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I wasn't suggesting buying a 1b (are they still for sale?) I was simply explaining that it works pretty well on the old slow stuff so will be fine on newer faster models.
    My regular LMS with large local library is on a 3 and it works well.
    +1 my LMS setup ran on a Pi2 for several years (both server and player) with no problem at all. That said, given the price, unless a cheap second hand Raspi3 is available just go for the Pi 4

Hi,
    I'm a rPI newbie as well, and could do with a steer on what HW I need. My application is slightly different to the OP as I'll need a DAC+HAT.

Briefly the requirement is to create a portable radio player plus server, it'll need:

- to be an LMS server/player, so Pi Core I think
    - some form of display/control, possibly Slimmer
    - low power/battery, TBA
    - ability to take an SD card with music
    - WIFI, possibly wired ethernet also
    - will need to drive some speakers, so DAC+AMP (~30W) req'd, possibly line out also
    - decent quality required but not audiophile

My thoughts are Rpi4 (4gb?), Pi-core, Slimmer, +DAC/AMP (which one?), but would appreciate advice on the rPI and DAC/AMP versions.

Budget for rPI+DAC/AMP somewhere between ú50-100 GBP
    Location 1: LMS 8.2 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

the rpi4B and piCorePlayer OS for sure.... 4GB is plenty. Depending on your music library size, you can also have music on the SD card in addition to the OS. But I'd recommend you have the music on either a USB external drive or a USB thumb drive. I use lots of these 4TB portable drives for this purpose, and they don't require any additional power supply (powered from rPi USB socket).

https://www.amazon.com/Passport-Port.../dp/B07VTW2LPX
    Last edited by garym; 2021-03-26 at 07:51.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    the rpi4B and piCorePlayer OS for sure.... 4GB is plenty.
    Thanks for confirmation on the rpi4B Gary.

Anyone have a recommendation on the DAC/HAT/AMP for decent sound @ around 30W at reasonable price?

Ta
    Location 1: LMS 8.2 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Thanks for confirmation on the rpi4B Gary.

Anyone have a recommendation on the DAC/HAT/AMP for decent sound @ around 30W at reasonable price?

Ta
    I have a 3B+ with a hifiberry DAC + Pro that I use and really like. But it feeds RCA inputs of a small preamp/amp. I haven't personally used a DAC/AMP HAT, although I see others reporting satisfaction with such setups.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

HIfiberry amp 2 in my outdoor rigs, so good I just ordered another 2 for another project
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 on Allo Digi One Signaturewith (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry Dig+ (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with pi official touchscreen and USB DAC (Bedroom)
    Squeezelite=x (Garage)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)
    PiCorePlayer 7.1 with hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

LMS 8.1 on DIY Unraid 6 Server (i5)

Squeeze user since the SB1

Have you done some calculations for the battery size you will need?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland