Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrypg View Post
    Aside from being able to skip the "DAC Hat", do you have any suggestions in terms of what model and amount of RAM I would need if I decide to go the Raspberry Pi route? Also, will a case that traps heat passively (versus adding a fan, etc.) be okay if all I'm going to do is stream music?
    I am using a Pi4 with 4Gb RAM (though I think there are technical reasons why anything over 2Gb makes no difference). I'm using an Argon Neo case, which is a passive cooling case. I find the temperature of the Pi remains pretty constant, even while actively scanning. The cpu is running at around 42 degrees C. I run this 24/7, and I set it up back in December.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I am using a Pi4 with 4Gb RAM (though I think there are technical reasons why anything over 2Gb makes no difference). I'm using an Argon Neo case, which is a passive cooling case. I find the temperature of the Pi remains pretty constant, even while actively scanning. The cpu is running at around 42 degrees C. I run this 24/7, and I set it up back in December.

Robert
    My new pi4 with 4Gb runs warmer at about 55C. It's in the Rpi plastic case that came with the kit but without the lid, sitting on an open shelf with normal room temps. This would seem to be equivalent to being "caseless", so I wonder why your cpu is running at only 42C?
    I'm not concerned about running at 55C, but am curious as to the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    My new pi4 with 4Gb runs warmer at about 55C. It's in the Rpi plastic case that came with the kit but without the lid, sitting on an open shelf with normal room temps. This would seem to be equivalent to being "caseless", so I wonder why your cpu is running at only 42C?
    The Neo case has an aluminium lid that acts as a passive heatsink, maybe that's the difference. The Pi sits on top of a QNAP NAS with air circulating freely.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post

Robert
    +1 for any of the Argon or Flirc aluminium cases. I'm using an Argon one case ATM, runs 24/7, 41░C no fan installed. The so called "official" plastic case IMO is unfit for purpose.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

If you want to save a bit of money then the older RPi models do work well as an LMS server - especially if you are not planning to manage a large local library.
    I still run one on a RPI1 which is mainly used to stream from internet radio and it servers 4 players 2 of which are in a sync group.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If you want to save a bit of money then the older RPi models do work well as an LMS server - especially if you are not planning to manage a large local library.
    I still run one on a RPI1 which is mainly used to stream from internet radio and it servers 4 players 2 of which are in a sync group.
    It's been a while since I had LMS on RPi1b but I wouldn't recommend it. It may be OK for internet radio but for any medium size + library or streaming services (like Spotty/ Spotify Connect) I don't think its fast enough. Probably Rpi3b or Rpi3b+ would be better if you want to save money and I guess will cost not significantly more then Rpi1.
    TBH Not sure how much you will save from buying Rpi4 though.. Someone suggested on other thread "Odroid" devices which are apparently better then Rpi.. ?
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Raspberry Pi streaming question - newbie

I wasn't suggesting buying a 1b (are they still for sale?) I was simply explaining that it works pretty well on the old slow stuff so will be fine on newer faster models.
    My regular LMS with large local library is on a 3 and it works well.
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2021-03-11 at 11:28.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I wasn't suggesting buying a 1b (are they still for sale?) I was simply explaining that it works pretty well on the old slow stuff so will be fine on newer faster models.
    My regular LMS with large local library is on a 3 and it works well.
    Yep.. eBay.co.uk RPi1b+ @ ú18.99, where RPi3b ú24.99. Both sold as brand new.. I guess lot cheaper 2nd hand with but of luck
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post

Place the case (still open) on its side (gpio pins down) that will drop a few degrees off the heat

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    +1 for any of the Argon or Flirc aluminium cases. I'm using an Argon one case ATM, runs 24/7, 41░C no fan installed. The so called "official" plastic case IMO is unfit for purpose.
    Interesting. I can't see how a closed aluminum case would dissipate heat better than having the cpu with the small heatsink attached exposed to the ambient temp of about 23C?

A difference of 41C to 55C is substantial.

By comparison, my 3B+ with a DAC hat in an enclosed plastic case runs about 38C.
    Last edited by jfo; 2021-03-11 at 17:17.