Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Raspberry Pi streaming question - newbie

I would like some information.

I want to build a Raspberry Pi music streamer using Logitech Media Server (LMS) and Volumio. I'm a complete newbie and have never used Raspberry Pi. I heard that Volumio has an LMS plug-in.

I own an old Squeezebox Boom, 2 old Squeezebox Radios, 2 Sonos devices (Sonos Play:5 and a Sonos Move), and a new Grace Mondo Elite Internet radio, all of which can access the LMS server. The Sonos and Grace Mondo devices use the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin-in by Phillipe to connect to LMS.

I have LMS installed on a Windows desktop computer, so it only works when the PC is on. I don't like to keep the PC on all of the time, which is why I'm considering a Raspberry Pi.

I want to either plug the Raspberry PI directly into my router via ethernet or sometimes use it wirelessly via Wifi.

What do I need to buy in terms of hardware?

Note: Since I'm not planning on connecting the Raspberry Pi to an amplifier, but want to stream only from the internet, can I skip a "DAC Hat"?

What I want to be able to do is the following:

1. Install Volumio with a Logitech Media Server plugin onto a Raspberry Pi. Or is there some other software I should consider? I read that Volumio is an "Operating System" and needs to be flashed onto a microSD card.
    2. Turn off my Windows PC, but keep the Raspberry Pi on all of the time so LMS remains on.
    3. Use a mobile device (e.g. my iPhone, IPad, or Amazon Fire Tablet) to access the Volumio/LMS server installed on the Raspberry Pi.
    4. Stream internet radio services (e.g Spotify, etc.) from the internet to my various client devices using an app like iPeng or Orange Squeeze (or, Volumio which again, I'm told can add on LMS).

Can I do this?

Regards,

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barrypg View Post

1. Install Volumio with a Logitech Media Server plugin onto a Raspberry Pi. Or is there some other software I should consider?
    Check Picoreplayer.. Probably better idea then Volumio if you own squeezebox devices..
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Yes you can skip the DAC HAT

if all you want is an LMS server then I agree that piCorePlayer is more suitable than Volumio
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

On 3. try Materiak skin plugin on your Windows box and use browser on your phone to access
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Hi,
    if you don't plan to use anything specific to volumio (that is, just plan to use the LMS part) and given the lack of experience with Raspi, I would seriously consider the CORE32 option recently announced in the forum https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...S-Music-Server

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Hi,
    if you don't plan to use anything specific to volumio (that is, just plan to use the LMS part) and given the lack of experience with Raspi, I would seriously consider the CORE32 option recently announced in the forum https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...S-Music-Server
    Yeah good idea, although bit more expensive it might just be device for you (Op) if you haven't bought rPi yet. I believe it supports Phillipe bridge for your other devices and it's been designed as plug and play with maximum simplicity in mind. It's not yet available but you can preorder at discounted price, planned to ship in May.

If you can't wait I don't think PiCorePlayer on raspberry pi is that difficult really and there is lots on information on forums.
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Thank you for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Check Picoreplayer.. Probably better idea then Volumio if you own squeezebox devices..
    I checked out Picoreplayer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Core 32

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Hi,
    I looked up the CORE32. It looks like a very good alternative (albeit more expensive) to a Raspberry Pi solution. I like that it's already preconfigured and is "plug and play".

Material Skin plug-in

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    On 3. try Materiak skin plugin on your Windows box and use browser on your phone to access
    Thanks for telling me about the Material Skin plugin. I installed it on both my PC and my iOS devices. Wow, it's so much more modern looking versus the original LMS interface.

Raspberry Pi additional question

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Yes you can skip the DAC HAT

if all you want is an LMS server then I agree that piCorePlayer is more suitable than Volumio
    Aside from being able to skip the "DAC Hat", do you have any suggestions in terms of what model and amount of RAM I would need if I decide to go the Raspberry Pi route? Also, will a case that traps heat passively (versus adding a fan, etc.) be okay if all I'm going to do is stream music?