Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Had a quick google and it appears that generally an Access Point does not connect via wireless to the Internet.

Not much use to me then

and I should have done it sooner

I seem to have misunderstood what an AP is (not an uncommon event )

What Is a Wireless Access Point?

A wireless access point is a networking device that allows you to easily connect to the Internet over the air. An access point is not a hotspot Ś it covers the area with a wireless signal, and that area that you can have your connection within, is called a hotspot.

An access point usually connects to a router via Ethernet as a standalone device, but it can also be built into a router. An AP can look a lot like a router, but there are more compact antenna-less designs too.

This is android
    Name:  access point moto g.png
Views: 74
Size:  71.5 KB

and it plays well enough, although the album art is a bit of a struggle

This iPhone
    Name:  pcp playing.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  226.1 KB

If it was me I would get a travel router

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    So, you are right about the time bit, I have just spent over 2hrs trying AP

ronnie
    Ronnie STOP, you've spent far too much time on this for a Sunday afternoon!! Many thanks for trying.

In a nutshell, I think you've confirmed it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped. It seems that even in AP mode you can't configure the the rPI to point to another WIFI NW as you can't get to a SSID/PW config page, although as Gary says, you can use the AP to control playing of local content from the server.

All roads (except the WIFI supplicant file option) seem to be pointing towards a laptop being required to configure, which was what I was hoping to avoid (even a travel router would need a laptop to set up the SSID/PW for a hotel WIFI connection). mmm, I was hoping to travel light, just my rPI server/player and a mobile.

Oh well, many thanks for trying. It doesn't completely rule out my plans for a portable server/player, but it does limit it's usefulness having to carry a PC for configuring.

Cheers
    Last edited by staresy; 2021-04-11 at 09:47.
    Location 1: LMS 8.2 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Doesn't solve your problem, but I'll tell you that for actual travel, I've long given up with trying to take songs with me, etc. I used to convert FLAC files to mp3 and put on my phone, or travel with a small laptop and attached USB drive, etc. I now just use Spotify (or internet radio) for my travel needs (in the car, on airplanes, in a hotel room). And if we're renting a mountain cabin, or something like that, where we will be stationary for a while, I bring along a small Bose bluetooth portable speaker I can stream to from my iPhone (running Spotify or streaming internet radio). This has made life super simple for me.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Doesn't solve your problem, but I'll tell you that for actual travel, I've long given up with trying to take songs with me, etc. I used to convert FLAC files to mp3 and put on my phone, or travel with a small laptop and attached USB drive, etc. I now just use Spotify (or internet radio) for my travel needs (in the car, on airplanes, in a hotel room). And if we're renting a mountain cabin, or something like that, where we will be stationary for a while, I bring along a small Bose bluetooth portable speaker I can stream to from my iPhone (running Spotify or streaming internet radio). This has made life super simple for me.
    I do the same as you but with a small Denon Bluetooth speaker.
    An alternative would be to use OpenVPN. I have this on my router and combined with a Squeezebox player on a phone you can access your home library.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk