Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

A basic introduction to Squeezebox topology

We are perhaps a little guilty of presuming a certain level of Squeezebox knowledge of members of this forum, so our initial introduction of CORE32 omitted some important detail. So For those who are looking for a concise (but limited) explanation of how Squeezebox works, here it is

Squeezebox is based around a Server/Player topology so for PolyVection products CORE32 is the Server and DAC32 is the Player. The minimum requirement for any Squeezebox system is 1 x Server and at least 1 x Player

CORE32 connects directly to the user’s router via Ethernet and is plug-n-play. Its purpose is to act as the gateway for all on-line services including premium on-demand music streaming services and internet radio. The choice of services available is determined by which 'Plug-ins' are selected (a Plug-in is a bit like an App in that it provides a specific service). CORE32 is supplied with a range of pre-loaded Plug-ins, but as this is a user selectable feature, these can be changed as required. It also has the capacity to locally store digital music files up to and including 24/192 resolution

DAC32 connects to CORE32 via Wi-Fi and directly feeds a Hi-Fi amplifier or active speakers with output via a pair of gold-plated RCA sockets. The purpose of the Player is to receive content from the Server and to control all elements of the zone in which it is being used. Additional Players can be added to create a powerful multiroom system

Control is via a Web User Interface in this case Material Skin (other Squeezebox Apps can also be used), which can operate on a mobile phone, tablet or computer regardless of operating system

See diagram
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Replies to questions

We will do our best to reply to all questions in due course, but please remember, CORE32 is all about keeping the Squeezebox experience as simple as possible. It may not be an appropriate solution for 'power users'. We can however confirm that this is a standard LMS implementation, so any Plug-in should work with CORE32 in the normal way. CORE32 is also supported by OTA (over the air) updates

CORE32 Energy Efficient LMSMusic Server

> CORE32 connects directly to the user’s router via Ethernet and is
    > plug-n-play. Its purpose is to act as the gateway for all on-line
    > services including premium on-demand music streaming services and
    > internet radio. The choice of services available is determined by which
    > 'Plug-ins' are selected (a Plug-in is a bit like an App in that it
    > provides a specific service).

And I personally believe this is a very important message: more and more
    users are moving to using online service more and more often, or almost
    exclusively. And there is a growing number of challenges in particular
    for users who only used mysqueezebox.com so far, in particular streaming
    over https. For these users who don't want to run "a server", nor tinker
    with Raspberry Pi, nor care about a NAS and storage and what not, CORE32
    might be a great offering. A plug'n'play gateway to all the beloved
    music services.

I've been hoping to see something like that. I considered working on a
    streamlined server-only version of pCP (piCoreServer :-)), but am happy
    I don't have to do it :-).

I'm looking forward to seeing the CORE32 in action.

CORE32 Energy Efficient LMSMusic Server

> We will do our best to reply to all questions in due course, but please
    > remember, CORE32 is all about keeping the Squeezebox experience as
    > simple as possible. It may not be an appropriate solution for 'power
    > users'. We can however confirm that this is a standard LMS
    > implementation, so any Plug-in should work with CORE32 in the normal
    > way. CORE32 is also supported by OTA (over the air) updates

Software wise: are you using Perl module binaries as shipped with LMS,
    or your own? Is this aarch64 or armhf?

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > We will do our best to reply to all questions in due course, but please
    > remember, CORE32 is all about keeping the Squeezebox experience as
    > simple as possible. It may not be an appropriate solution for 'power
    > users'. We can however confirm that this is a standard LMS
    > implementation, so any Plug-in should work with CORE32 in the normal
    > way. CORE32 is also supported by OTA (over the air) updates

Software wise: are you using Perl module binaries as shipped with LMS,
    or your own? Is this aarch64 or armhf?
    One thing that might be difficult is for all plugins with helpers. I’m glad I have static versions of all mine but I’m not sure this will not require a recompile, still and that would not be good news. Having spotty will be critical I think.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    One thing that might be difficult is for all plugins with helpers. I’m glad I have static versions of all mine but I’m not sure this will not require a recompile, still and that would not be good news. Having spotty will be critical I think.
    I asked that very question a few pages up because I too think the Bridges and Spotty will be critcial.

@polyvection - I assume that you are aware that Roon Audio also use the term "Core" for their server?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Spotty & We are PolyVection

We can confirm that Spotty works fine on CORE32 (no helpers required) and will of course be one of the pre-loaded Plug-ins

Also we are going to add our names to future replies

I am Bob Abraham (based in the UK)

And Philip Voigt is the designer and technical expert (and is super busy right now)

https://polyvection.com/en/about-us/

Bob Abraham

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I asked that very question a few pages up because I too think the Bridges and Spotty will be critcial.

@polyvection - I assume that you are aware that Roon Audio also use the term "Core" for their server?
    Yes, Spotty works no problem.

We just wanted a simple short designation so we chose 'CORE'

Bob

Some technical insights

In general some words about our system architecture.
    We are using the 900 MHz i.MX6ULL processor with 512 MB DDR3 RAM and 4 GB internal eMMC storage.
    Our operating system is highly optimised and built using the somewhat industrial standard "yocto" builder. Our system image is only around 160 MB.
    While you might say that our processor is not the fastest available it suites this application really well and has a pretty low power consumption.
    We are using it internally for over there years now in our homes and there are no performance issue. E.g. it can easily transcode WMA or resample very high resolution files to something the DAC32 understands (96/24) and sending it to multiple endpoints (including the UPNP bridge) without problems. So for this application we see no reason using a faster processor that then also consumes a lot more power.

MicroSD cards are working up to 1 TB and on any disk connected over USB there are no size restrictions. It either needs to be formatted in NTFS or exFAT.

For rolling out updates we are using a rock-solid state-of-the-art A-B partitioning scheme with a separate data partition. We can either install updates automatically over-the-air or the user can also do that manually using an USB stick. We will be tracking the stable releases of LMS and send out corresponding system updates as soon as possible.
    Every release will go through our own regression testing to make sure that everything works.

By default we are using the really nice MaterialSkin with minimal modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Looks good - especially as a pair.
    First question ... always this way ... but could external storage via CIFS/SMB/NFS be mountable or are you limiting it 100% to attached USB and SD?
    Currently that is not implemented but we will have a look into adding it over time. We also have a dedicated mobile app on our roadmap which should make the whole setup and configuration progress a lot easier and better to understand for people without a technical background. This will also handle e.g. the network setup of DAC32. Once we have this in place we can add features that are a little more difficult to deal with.

Will a user be able to decide to follow the dev version of LMS if they wish?
    Unfortunately not. We are only using the release tags where e.g. 8.1.1 is the most recent one as of today. It's likely that people interested in the dev versions will want to have deeper system access anyway - for which we cannot offer any support at the moment.

Will it run Spotty and Phillipe’s bridges ok?
    Yes, we are using both daily and they are working well. No re-compiling necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Will it be possible to ssh into this box in order to install ngrok so it can be used with my Alexa skills?
    Unfortunately not. CORE32 should be something simple to use and to understand. So we cannot encourage people making changes to the raw system. Even if you would do so - all changes outside of the LMS plugins and caching will be overwritten with the next update anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Does the OS support a package manager like apt or is it more BusyBox like? Systemd?
    Sorry but no. People who want to deal with applications on the system level likely will use something like a RPi anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Software wise: are you using Perl module binaries as shipped with LMS, or your own? Is this aarch64 or armhf?
    It's a Cortex A7 / armhf. We are using our "own" by building the slimserver-platforms.

Please let us know if I forgot to answer anything or you have more questions.

Thanks,
    Philip.

Wholly applaud your approach Bob as many potential users are put off by the perceived complexity of the LMS ecosystem. The first thing that needs to be dropped from LMS is 'plug-ins', a historic term but now universally replaced by 'apps' and something that would be more comforting to newbies. Craig's Material skin has brought LMS right up to date although I wonder whether any thought has been given to use Material as a default setting within LMS rather than using a different URL?

From a marketing perspective using a TLA (three letter acronym) as a product name is a poor choice for a consumer product. Logitech own the 'Squeezebox' name so why do they not rebrand LMS to just Squeezebox (no need for the term 'server') as the end points all have product names (SB3, Radio, RPi, DAC32 etc) anyway?

I have tried to convince several of my friends to use Squeezebox but they all glaze over when I mention the words server and clients.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: SB3>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers