Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyVection View Post
    Probably not, although it will be our plan to issue regular updates via OTA.
    Thanks
    Makes sense if you are looking at newbie users

Will it run Spotty and Phillipe’s bridges ok?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Looks good - especially as a pair.

First question ... always this way ... but could external storage via CIFS/SMB/NFS be mountable or are you limiting it 100% to attached USB and SD?
    I think this one is a must to be successful.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Congratulations guys, very nice initiative.

Will it be possible to ssh into this box in order to install ngrok so it can be used with my Alexa skills?

Does the OS support a package manager like apt or is it more BusyBox like? Systemd?

Not clear to me from what you say but will I be able to mount my NAS as the storage?

Great to hear what you are doing. Keep it up and I will support you where I can.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    Not clear to me from what you say but will I be able to mount my NAS as the storage?

Great to hear what you are doing. Keep it up and I will support you where I can.
    See my earlier question and their subsequent response.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1013236
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Assuming it is a regular LMS on the system (which I think it is) then it will be any that LMS supports.

They say that it is using a NXP i.MX6
    https://www.nxp.com/products/process...s:IMX6X_SERIES
    so probably a Cortex A9 processor ... a bit like a Raspberry Pi (32 bit only I think).
    https://developer.arm.com/ip-product...ex-a/cortex-a9
    I think the i.MX6 is the same as was used in the Wandboard systems that the basis for the Community SqueezeOS development back in 2013 ( https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...h-Plays-Noises) - although probably faster and with more memory now.

This is aimed to be plug n play for newbies so mounting storage from a NAS brings a degree of complexity that may not be desirable / supportable.

It wouldn’t be difficult to write howto’s for the major NAS brands but then you get people here already asking how to install LMS on some “NAS I built myself with a variant of Linux you’ve heard of but never tried”.

I can’t imagine PolyVection want this sort of user. It always surprises me how Michael in particular is so tolerant of the “I’m running 7.7.x on a 20 year old Netgear Duo - why can’t I install Spotty?” types.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    This is aimed to be plug n play for newbies so mounting storage from a NAS brings a degree of complexity that may not be desirable / supportable
    Yes it looks like an Plug'n'play with LMS & selected plugins already installed as an alternative to a Pi based system which a user has to assemble.

From the part no I'm guessing it is a dual/quad (distinguishing letter is hidden) 900MHz core system so perf may be like a Pi2. So the choice for the end user could be "snappier" DIY Pi4 vs ready built Core32.
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-03-07 at 15:22.

I mean this really positively to help you guys: I think you have work to do.

newbees and nitwits (like me) don't get this product. Is it a streamer like the bluesound note 2i? What can you do with it and how does it work? the explanation of the dac32 is also not understandable for a newbee. you will at least have to explain that you need an app to operate the dac32.
    I would benefit from a core32 as i have trouble keeping the lms working on my nas (i don't understand any of the updates now that synology support has stopped). purchase of a core32 is subject to the condition that it can access my music on my (dual bay) nas. For me a separate usb drive connected to the core32 is really undesirable because my nas is easy to access from my pc and I can easily add albums here.

in other words: come up with a good explanation for newbees and make a connection with a nas possible.

Quote Originally Posted by thekiller View Post
    I mean this really positively to help you guys: I think you have work to do.

newbees and nitwits (like me) don't get this product. Is it a streamer like the bluesound note 2i? What can you do with it and how does it work? the explanation of the dac32 is also not understandable for a newbee. you will at least have to explain that you need an app to operate the dac32.
    I would benefit from a core32 as i have trouble keeping the lms working on my nas (i don't understand any of the updates now that synology support has stopped). purchase of a core32 is subject to the condition that it can access my music on my (dual bay) nas. For me a separate usb drive connected to the core32 is really undesirable because my nas is easy to access from my pc and I can easily add albums here.

in other words: come up with a good explanation for newbees and make a connection with a nas possible.
    The server in the name is LMS giving a web page to control and configure the server, rather than a true server hardware which would need more RAM and a gigabit Ethernet plus support for set up.

I agree with you that unless you research LMS you won't understand how to set it up. Maybe preconfigured LMS could be the USP of the Polyvection. I mean creating a plugin page specific to this device, eg adding the Material skin with associated information updates after adding your music drive.

The real problem is with networks. Having used LMS for years I can easily set up the RPI as an LMS server, but our network sharing between windows machines constantly crashes and needs to be re-shared. This isn't an LMS issue, just increased security settings in Windows 10 I think. It's not the kind of problem you want to sort out when you want to relax and listen to your stuff.

If you can't connect with your NAS as an remote drive, has the Synology community any help to offer?

I would love it if there were a solution to Windows 10 network sharing but I am not holding out much hope.
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2021-03-08 at 01:42.