Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

CORE32 Energy Efficient LMSMusic Server

> Yesterday the hard drive of my old Systemline S7 NetServer failed and
    > this highlighted an advantage that CORE32 has over some servers, namely
    > that the OS runs on separate internal eMMC and the micro SD & USB
    > storage options are purely used to store digital music files.

Prefs?

Target or not Target customer

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > From my point of view accessing an iSCSI target on a NAS would be better

People correctly spelling iSCSI usually don't want a simple plug'n'play
    system. You're not the CORE32 target user :-).
    beyond the fact that I find your remark funny, I do not quite agree in some ways and I agree in other ways

Why I don't agree that I'm not a target customer :
    the evolution of the slimserver requires on my NAS to regularly monitor and upgrade the server software. On my zyxel NAS it is not necessarily an easy thing, it is boring. you have to keep up to date with the latest version to have the functionality. If a company provides a scalable box while ensuring this follow-up and where on my side I only have one click to upgrade the server, that's fine with me and then I'm potentially a target customer.

Why I agree that I am ultimately the wrong target customer :
    In the whole computer world or new technology world, companies have a fairly simple business model: they develop software with possibly hardware, once it hits the market, they hope to make the money without doing anything else more than they have developped. They move on developing the next generation on which they also want future money. It is only at the margin that they provide free patches on the security holes of older generations of software. All companies work like this, Microsoft, Apple to name the bigger ones. For example my zyxel NAS was supplied by Zyxel with the LMS in version 9.4. Today apart from the security patches of the software core
    NAS, Zyxel does not track LMS software, or any other peripheral software.
    The two whole question regarding the CORE32 manufactured by Polyvection is:
    - Will they provide the upgrade of the LMS server in the future without financial compensation?
    - What choice will they make if for some reason the LMS has to fork or do optional development. -Even if I agree with the plugins system of LMS, this risk is almost zero? Will they follow the path that I, different from other users, would have taken?
    - Squeezebox Duet + DAC : Advance Acoustic mdx-600 + turntable : Thorens TD190-2 + CD player : Marantz CD5004 + K7 player : Toshiba +ampli : Marantz PM7001 + speaker : Magnat Quantum 1005.
    - Raspberry 2 + Ampli-dac : Alientek D8 + speaker : Magnat Quantum Edelstein
    - Daphile on Acer_Aspire_One + Ampli-dac : Advance Acoustic A60 + Speaker : Elipson Studio Pro

no reaction. Have I closed the discussion?
    - Squeezebox Duet + DAC : Advance Acoustic mdx-600 + turntable : Thorens TD190-2 + CD player : Marantz CD5004 + K7 player : Toshiba +ampli : Marantz PM7001 + speaker : Magnat Quantum 1005.
    - Raspberry 2 + Ampli-dac : Alientek D8 + speaker : Magnat Quantum Edelstein
    - Daphile on Acer_Aspire_One + Ampli-dac : Advance Acoustic A60 + Speaker : Elipson Studio Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sitro0 View Post
    no reaction. Have I closed the discussion?
    We apologise for not responding to your two specific questions, this is partly because we have not 100 % completed the software architecture of CORE32 yet. However, it is our intention to follow the updates to LMS without charging for this service, in much the same way as we already have in terms of firmware updates to our DAC32 product. Furthermore, we do not anticipate any issues in relation to maintaining support of the range of Plug-ins available.

We will look to confirm this once the CORE32 software is released.

___

Bob
    Last edited by PolyVection; 2021-04-07 at 01:34.

it's quiet here. is it already known when the core32 will be delivered this month? I'd like to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by thekiller View Post
    it's quiet here. is it already known when the core32 will be delivered this month? I'd like to try it out!
    The UK sales site has this: "You can place an order now but the batch is expected to ship late May."

A quick update here.
    We will start assembling the first CORE32s next week.
    Most of the needed material is already here and the remaining parts will follow in a couple of days.
    So all according plan so far.

--
    Philip