Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I wanted to highlight the status of the OTA service. It's been broken for a long time.

I know manual update is possible but no OTA updates defeats one of the selling points of the CORE32 - that maintenance was minimal especially as it is a "closed" product where users cannot do updates to LMS.

It feels the product is not getting attention and this is a worry because this product is 100% dependent on Polyvection - unlike say DAC32.
    In fairness to them, they have open sourced it : https://gitlab.com/polyvection/sw/yocto/os/polyos . I'm not sure if they have included instructions to build and install, but they have theoretically ensured it is not 100% dependent on themselves.
    Stuart McLean

ExpectingToFly Plugins :
    BBC Sounds, Global Player (UK), Times Radio, UK Radio Player, Virgin Radio (UK) and the Radio Favourites Plugin

For BBC Sounds help see the BBC Sounds Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by expectingtofly View Post
    In fairness to them, they have open sourced it : https://gitlab.com/polyvection/sw/yocto/os/polyos . I'm not sure if they have included instructions to build and install, but they have theoretically ensured it is not 100% dependent on themselves.
    I know they're trying but the issues & concerns need to be addressed.
    The product seems to be drifting possibly because due to lack of saleable products which is outside their control.
    I already looked at the open source but AFAICT - no instructions how to build a new bin (I'm assuming the new bin can be flashed via manual update - no special extra code signing) . There is a definition in one file for "HOSTTOOLS" as "x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc" - so looks like cross build on a Intel/Linux system.

I wanted to highlight the status of the OTA service. It's been broken for a long time.

I know manual update is possible but no OTA updates defeats one of the selling points of the CORE32 - that maintenance was minimal especially as it is a "closed" product where users cannot do updates to LMS.

It feels the product is not getting attention and this is a worry because this product is 100% dependent on Polyvection - unlike say DAC32.
    Agreed. If PV are not going to provide regular and reliable updates, there needs to be an easy way for users to disable the OTA and maintain the device themselves, as with any other open source player.

Regarding the the OTA situation. Unfortunately we were discovering issues with our update server. There was no quick fix possible to we were forced to disable it for the moment.
    We are working on a simplified successor version but that will still take some time as it needs to be tested properly. In the meantime please use the downloads offered from our website to perform the update to the latest version. Really sorry for this.

We released the source code of the firmware so that you can take a look what is going on in there. For your own security CORE32 only accepts updates that are digitally signed by us. Unfortunately we cannot open-source that part as it would undermine security and makes signing it pointless.
    A quick explanation regarding that. You always have to think about the worst possible scenario. So somebody else with bad intentions could modify a firmware update either directly on the server or while it is on the way to you. Neither you or us would probably notice that immediately. Signing the image with a private key makes sure that CORE32 would directly reject such a malicious update.

The advanced tinkerer could for sure compile their own firmware image and manually flash it on the device. Unfortunately we cannot provide you with a guide for that.
    Compiling the firmware itself and flashing it manually is easily possible. All is in the repository. Except for the signing mechanism but that is only required for generating updates. It's yocto based.

--
    Philip.

1.6.0 firmware released

Hi,

we just released a new firmware update :-)
    It brings back the OTA update feature and updates all LMS related applications and plugins.
    Available from here.

--
    Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by PolyVection View Post
    Hi,

we just released a new firmware update :-)
    It brings back the OTA update feature and updates all LMS related applications and plugins.
    Available from here.
    I could not get this to work. I downloaded the 1.60 mender file, selected it in Manual System Update and clicked on install update. I got the upload progress bar, then at 100% the message "Installing. Please allow up to 10 Minutes".

At 19 minutes nothing had happened, just the timer incrementing. When I gave up and clicked on "Go back to Settings", the screen still showed Firmware version 1.40, and I could not connect to LMS on the CORE32.

I was able to revert to 1.40 by installing the previous mender file, which took just a few minutes.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ftlight View Post
    I could not get this to work. I downloaded the 1.60 mender file, selected it in Manual System Update and clicked on install update. I got the upload progress bar, then at 100% the message "Installing. Please allow up to 10 Minutes".

At 19 minutes nothing had happened, just the timer incrementing. When I gave up and clicked on "Go back to Settings", the screen still showed Firmware version 1.40, and I could not connect to LMS on the CORE32.

I was able to revert to 1.40 by installing the previous mender file, which took just a few minutes.

Bill
    Hi Bill,

sorry to hear that you had trouble installing the update.
    Can you please try to power cycle your CORE32 and then try it again?
    Maybe you can also try to use a different browser for installing it?

Please keep me posted if that helps.

--
    Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by ftlight View Post

I was able to revert to 1.40 by installing the previous mender file, which took just a few minutes.l
    I've had success with 1.6, with similar symptoms to above with "get update" but success on second attempt with a manual download. I don't know why it first went quickly to 100% and then did nothing.

I notice name of file downloaded had "rpi3" and not "core32" as previous version which I thought was odd.

Just to confirm - 1.6 "normal" includes LMS 8.3.0 - which I think is the developmental LMS and not 8.2.1. Although 8.3.0 is developmental I think it is suitable for use.

edit:
    1.4 vs 1.6 File names - curious difference.
    polyos-core32c_1.4.0_signed.mender
    polyos-server-rpi3_1.6.0_signed.mender
    Last edited by bpa; 2022-02-17 at 02:10.

I've had success with 1.6, with similar symptoms to above with "get update" but success on second attempt with a manual download. I don't know why it first went quickly to 100% and then did nothing.

I notice name of file downloaded had "rpi3" and not "core32" as previous version which I thought was odd.

Just to confirm - 1.6 "normal" includes LMS 8.3.0 - which I think is the developmental LMS and not 8.2.1. Although 8.3.0 is developmental I think it is suitable for use.

edit:
    Hi bpa,

good that the update is also working for you.
    Yes, we changed the naming of the update files a little as there will be a new CORE32 revision soon with a different hardware architecture.

--
    Philip

edit:
    LMS 8.3 will be out of date already. Currently there are almost daily improvements to the scanning function.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk