Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting to Network attached USB drive

I am new to all that is on offer with PiCorePlayer. Just wondering if someone can point me to some instructions on how to mount a USB HDD connected to my Router. I have this as part of my home Network and have music on it.
    I recently purchased a RPi4B and have managed to load PiCoreplayer and squeezebox and LMS are now running. I have also mounted a USB drive to the RPi and managed to get Samba working on it so that I can copy files to the USB from my PC if I burn any CDs etc. But what I cannot seem to work out is how to mount the network USB. It isn't or doesn't seem to operate as a NAS drive so the IP address is a bit of a mystery. I assume it can be networked as it is part of my home network

Some may suggest that I load the PiCorPlayer to it but I want to access it with PiCoreplayer but also leave it as part of my home network so I can connect my Sonos Move to it. I know there is a plugin for that but I think that means that PiCoreplayer LMS takes control of the Sonos. I don't want that to happen because I can use the Sonos on Spotify without a premium account which I cannot do using the LMS.

Any suggestions?

Can you see the remote router USB drive from a Windows PC?
    If yes - then it is probably acting like a NAS and sharing out the data via SMB (Samba) aka CIFS.
    In that case you would mount it from pCP in the same way that you would set up other NAS connections
    e.g. like this
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1007074

It might also appear over NFS (mainly for MAC users) ... in which case it would be similar to connecting to any other NFS systems - such as
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

What make / model is the router?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Connecting to Network attached USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Can you see the remote router USB drive from a Windows PC?
    If yes - then it is probably acting like a NAS and sharing out the data via SMB (Samba) aka CIFS.
    In that case you would mount it from pCP in the same way that you would set up other NAS connections
    e.g. like this
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1007074

It might also appear over NFS (mainly for MAC users) ... in which case it would be similar to connecting to any other NFS systems - such as
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
    Hi Paul
    Yes I can see the drive on my PC. It appears as a ATP but also as a drive in windows file manager. I have attached a copy of the view I see in file manager.
    I will take a look at your links. I have tried attaching it like a NAS but I couldn't figure out the URL for it. I tried the URL for the Router but that didn't work.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    What make / model is the router?
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. The router is Huawei HG659. Supplied by my internet provider.
    Cheers

I assume that "gdryan" is the name of your PC and the Western Digital ... is the USB drive.
    In that case it looks like the drive is attached to your PC rather than the router.

So it looks like - either Windows has remembered that the drive was attached at some time and is still showing it even though it is now attached to the router or
    some software has been run on the PC to map the remote drive to make it appear to be on your PC.

Next thing to try ... find the IP address of your router - probably something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 or 10.0.0.1 etc
    You can find it by looking at the network configuration of your PC and see what the Gateway is set to.
    For example - from CMD window type
    ipconfig
    it is will list a bunch of stuff including "Default Gateway". There might be more than one but probably only one with some numbers.
    If it shows - for example - 192.168.1.1 then from Windows Explorer try to reach
    //192.168.1.1
    if you are lucky it will connect to the router and discover the drive.
    Then click on it and see if you can see the contents without having to type in any credentials.
    If that works then you have all that you need to enter into pCP (see the link in my earlier post).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

I assume that "gdryan" is the name of your PC and the Western Digital ... is the USB drive.
    In that case it looks like the drive is attached to your PC rather than the router.

So it looks like - either Windows has remembered that the drive was attached at some time and is still showing it even though it is now attached to the router or
    some software has been run on the PC to map the remote drive to make it appear to be on your PC.

Next thing to try ... find the IP address of your router - probably something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254 or 10.0.0.1 etc
    You can find it by looking at the network configuration of your PC and see what the Gateway is set to.
    ipconfig
    it is will list a bunch of stuff including "Default Gateway". There might be more than one but probably only one with some numbers.
    //192.168.1.1
    Then click on it and see if you can see the contents without having to type in any credentials.
    If that works then you have all that you need to enter into pCP (see the link in my earlier post).
    Almost but as its Windows (Paul!) try this instead
    Do Start | Run then type
    \\192.168.1.1 and press Enter
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

ipconfig
    //192.168.1.1
    Hi Paul
    When I type//192.168.1.1 (the address of my router) I get an error message - The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    I also tried // 192.168.1./Z_Drive and got another message -The username or password incorrect. I used Z as at one stage before I started this process the wd drive was showing as Z Drive as well on my PC.
    I can use my browser and access the GUI for the router but there is scant options there apart from enabling SAMBA which I have done previously.

I looked at the link and I cannot see anything like the information shown for the Netgear router. I can only see the attached drive as being there no info about IP addresses etc. I am logged in as an Administrator.

Any further thoughts?
    Cheers
    The PCp docs really don't help because they relate to NAS drives

I put the // around the wrong way ... try \\ (see the correction to my message in the one that followed it.
    Paul Webster

I put the // around the wrong way ... try \\ (see the correction to my message in the one that followed it.
    Hi Paul
    Tried around the other way and same result. I am away for a week now so will try and see what I can dig up. Maybe I will try a Huewai forum for details on the attached drive.
    If anything strikes you feel free to add it to comments.
    Cheers