Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: USB Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    So the sound quality of the 1s and 0s from a ISP is correlated to its customer support?
    The 1s and 0s are without doubt looked after more diligently.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Ahh, I can see where your thinking is going wrong. An audiophile looks at the 0's and 1's, not the other way around.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    "It’s interesting how some of these other engineers (and their minions) denounce what audiophiles are hearing as placebo and hallucinations.
    They also demand double-blind and null tests for everything. Do they really think intelligent people who are able to afford this gear – would drop lots of cash for something they don’t really hear?
    Time to get off that high horse, homie"
    I found the quote above interesting.

There are some people that can do exceptional things that most people cannot because of physical gift and training. We see it every four years at the Olympics. I do believe some people can actually hear the difference between a quality analog cable and very expensive versions. However, at some point in quality improvement most of the population cannot hear a difference because we do not have the physical gift.

Digital transmission technology is designed to eliminate distortion, or reduce it to very low levels, so the ability for most people to hear the difference of an item digital equipment (that meets the proper specification) is either impossible due to physics or exceptionally rare. Therefore, if someone is exceptional and can hear the difference, they should be able to prove it.

The sentence about people would not buy the gear if they could not hear a difference, while logical, may not be true. As someone said, there is a sucker born every minute, and there are companies and salespersons out to take advantage of it. The person that just spent the price of a car on a sound system is told, don’t rely on the power cord that came with that expensive amp, you need $1000 cord. It is called the upsell with a huge profit margin. The item is a small percentage of the total system and the sales person says they can hear the difference, so the buyer not wanting to admit they cannot hear it decides to buy it. There is also the brain factor where we see things that are not really true, perhaps this also applies to hearing. (Look up a TV show called Brain Games, it is interesting.)

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I found the quote above interesting.

There are some people that can do exceptional things that most people cannot because of physical gift and training. We see it every four years at the Olympics. I do believe some people can actually hear the difference between a quality analog cable and very expensive versions. However, at some point in quality improvement most of the population cannot hear a difference because we do not have the physical gift.

Digital transmission technology is designed to eliminate distortion, or reduce it to very low levels, so the ability for most people to hear the difference of an item digital equipment (that meets the proper specification) is either impossible due to physics or exceptionally rare. Therefore, if someone is exceptional and can hear the difference, they should be able to prove it.

The sentence about people would not buy the gear if they could not hear a difference, while logical, may not be true. As someone said, there is a sucker born every minute, and there are companies and salespersons out to take advantage of it. The person that just spent the price of a car on a sound system is told, don’t rely on the power cord that came with that expensive amp, you need $1000 cord. It is called the upsell with a huge profit margin. The item is a small percentage of the total system and the sales person says they can hear the difference, so the buyer not wanting to admit they cannot hear it decides to buy it. There is also the brain factor where we see things that are not really true, perhaps this also applies to hearing. (Look up a TV show called Brain Games, it is interesting.)

Paul
    I didn't change anything in my system but today it seems to sound better than yesterday. I wonder how John Darko would explain that

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I didn't change anything in my system but today it seems to sound better than yesterday. I wonder how John Darko would explain that

Weather?
    Yesterday you had cloud cover which suppressed your 1s and 0s down to 0.999s and -0.001s but today its cloudless?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

If P.T. Barnum were alive today he would certainly be in the audiophile cable business

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I take your point about Virgin tech support.
    Don't get me started on Virgin. I was with them at the previous house. The service itself was generally good, but when it came to giving them notice it was impossible to contact them. On hold on the phone for over an hour before giving up. On hold on their online chat for 100 mins before giving up. Raised a complaint which took them 2 weeks to respond to, informing me that I should phone them to give notice!

In the end I just cancelled the direct debit and replied to the complaints dept that if they want their so-called "superhub" back they better email me.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    Don't get me started on Virgin. I was with them at the previous house. The service itself was generally good, but when it came to giving them notice it was impossible to contact them. On hold on the phone for over an hour before giving up. On hold on their online chat for 100 mins before giving up. Raised a complaint which took them 2 weeks to respond to, informing me that I should phone them to give notice!

In the end I just cancelled the direct debit and replied to the complaints dept that if they want their so-called "superhub" back they better email me.
    Do you remember what happened when Virgin decided to start charging for support phone calls? It didn't take long for them to backtrack on that

When I moved to the UK I been with ntl for a brief period before Virgin took over. Service was OK for a price but then I've moved to house without 'cable broadband' so been given Virgin ADSL.. Omg this was worst nightmare.. It took 7 months and ombudsman to escape theirs contract and get money back for shocking 0.3 mbps service ..later with Entanet(under old ownership) same ADSL line supported 4.5mbps (mind you house was quite a distance from exchange) but yeah Virgin support were absolutely useless bunch of liars. Few years ago Vodafone came close in terms of hopelessness when they couldn't provide static IP.
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Maybe Archimago is part of the conspiracy.
    Yes. It's a money-saving conspiracy
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.