Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: USB Cables

Quote Originally Posted by ftlight View Post
    One of the audiophile "testers" was switching ISPs, and determined that he could hear a difference in the sound depending on whether it came over the coax cable broadband connection of his old provider or the fiber optic connection of the new one.
    That's because he has an "open mind"

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    That's because he has an "open mind"

Obviously the SQ was at an optimum level during school hours but Iím sure he could detect a fall off as soon as the kids came out of school?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Obviously the SQ was at an optimum level during school hours but Iím sure he could detect a fall off as soon as the kids came out of school?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

All piss take aside not all ISPs are the same.
    UK
    In general you do get what you pay for in this arena. Go cheap and you get a cheap router and a heavily contended network and a shit level of Technical Support usually from a third world call centre where English is not the first language.
    Go for a business grade provider eg Zen and you will get a decent router, a free really fixed IP, it will be faster and youíll be unlucky if you have to find out how good Tech Support is. (I will tell you though itís UK based and they know what they are doing.) Itís a couple of £ more per month.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

UK
    In general you do get what you pay for in this arena. Go cheap and you get a cheap router and a heavily contended network and a shit level of Technical Support usually from a third world call centre where English is not the first language.
    Go for a business grade provider eg Zen and you will get a decent router, a free really fixed IP, it will be faster and youíll be unlucky if you have to find out how good Tech Support is. (I will tell you though itís UK based and they know what they are doing.) Itís a couple of £ more per month.
    At most places in the United States, one has essentially zero choice in IP providers (sadly). At most, one might have the Cable TV company IP vs. the telephone company IP. Given the monopoly, service is crap.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

UK
    I ditched BT for Zen some years ago, largely because of the uselessness of their tech support. Been happy with Zen, and their tech support is great, only had to use it for issues to do with web hosting.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I ditched BT for Zen some years ago, largely because of the uselessness of their tech support. Been happy with Zen, and their tech support is great, only had to use it for issues to do with web hosting.
    I've just moved house and as a test of which ISP to go for decided to try calling their tech support numbers and see how quickly they answered. Zen picked up after a few seconds.

In that time BT, Virgin or Sky would still be taking you through their initial menu options and disclaimers about "high levels of calls leading to delays" (is there ever a time when they're NOT in that state?) before even getting into the on-hold queue.

NB. Other high quality ISPs are available, eg. Andrews & Arnold have a stellar reputation.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

So the sound quality of the 1s and 0s from a ISP is correlated to its customer support?

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    I've just moved house and as a test of which ISP to go for decided to try calling their tech support numbers and see how quickly they answered. Zen picked up after a few seconds.

In that time BT, Virgin or Sky would still be taking you through their initial menu options and disclaimers about "high levels of calls leading to delays" (is there ever a time when they're NOT in that state?) before even getting into the on-hold queue.

NB. Other high quality ISPs are available, eg. Andrews & Arnold have a stellar reputation.
    I take your point about Virgin tech support. The most annoying thing is they won't even talk to you the first time you call, you need to call back after trying all the useless "turn it off and turn it again" troubleshooting procedures first. Also when they run a remote test of your installation I have never known it to find a fault. Their broadband product is pretty good though.When we had an issue with the phone line we were switched to VOIP which I suspect is a clever ploy to make it impossible to phone to complain when the broadband fails .

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    So the sound quality of the 1s and 0s from a ISP is correlated to its customer support?
    Its more likely than the cable, Switch or router !

Probably more causation than correlation also

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953