Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Anything accessing the DB should benefit.

That's rather general... where would I as a user see improvements? Not
    in a benchmark, but in LMS use.
    My, i admit rather short test reveals, that the trackscan scan task went don't from 3 hours to 4 min on LMS restart and from 3 hours to 15 min on forced rescan. Even though modifying the SELECT statement to prevent musicbrainz_id duplicates will bring the scanning down to 4 secs each, so......

Another improvement is in the webinterface everywhere where cover images needs to be displayed it "seems" faster.....

[Announce] Database Optimizer plugin

> My, i admit rather short test reveals, that the trackscan scan task went

I guess that should read "trackstat"?

> don't from 3 hours to 4 min on LMS restart and from 3 hours to 15 min on
    > forced rescan. Even though modifying the SELECT statement to prevent
    > musicbrainz_id duplicates will bring the scanning down to 4 secs each,
    > so......

Well, that's a good result :-). Would be interesting to know which tweak
    makes the difference, or whether it's really the combination of them all.

> Another improvement is in the webinterface everywhere where cover images
    > needs to be displayed it "seems" faster.....

Ok, I'll see what I can learn from that plugin. Thanks for the data point!

> My, i admit rather short test reveals, that the trackscan scan task went

I guess that should read "trackstat"?
    Yes!
    If Roland would modify his plugin to make the optimzations selectable, i'm happy to test.....

Ah and another nice improvement is, that the needed time everywhere where Erlands plugins need to select the list according to custom browse menu, which are indicated in the web material skin with a blue circle, are all shorter.

Perhaps only noticeable with such a large library i have.....
    Last edited by mamema; 2021-03-03 at 02:06.

From my poor memory I remember SQLite caches the index, not the data itself.
    actually, it does cache the data:
    Quote Originally Posted by SQLite docs
    maximum number of database disk pages that SQLite will hold in memory
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger
    Therefore assigning a lot of data to the artwork cache might do no harm
    in most cases, but promise more than it delivers?
    Verifying that caching artworkdb works is fairly simple:
    - LMS process size grows larger the more covers have been displayed
    - my artworkdb is on a HDD, so I can literally hear that it's accessed the first time a specific cover is displayed, and not on subsequent renderings

trackstat
    Would be interesting to know which tweak makes the difference, or whether it's really the combination of them all.
    Pretty confident that'll overwhelmingly be the new indices.
    However, this may actually be a scenario where multi-threading could be used, so mamema could check if more than one core is utilized the next time a trackstat refresh runs.

I've also released a new version which adds a dropExtraTrackStatIndices API command, which could be helpful if anyone really wants to perform a detailed analysis.
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | DB Optimizer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Pretty confident that'll overwhelmingly be the new indices.
    However, this may actually be a scenario where multi-threading could be used, so mamema could check if more than one core is utilized the next time a trackstat refresh runs.
    Sure, but how? I'm a very very poor Synology user (poor means shitty interface....). As top or htop isn't included in the docker image, i can only see that 25% CPU is used, which means with my 4-core NAS it use 1 core with 100%

v0.0.2 not installing through repo...

Have just tried updating to v0.0.2 and it fails to update. Have tried clearing web browser caches, uninstalling previous version and rebooting Windows 10 but no luck and now have no Database Optimizer at all. Any help appreciated.
    2 x Touch
    2 x Radio
    2 x Boom
    1 x Intel-NUC server/squeezelite running LMS 8.20 (from nightlies) on Windows 10
    1 X Odroid-XU4 server/squeezelite running LMS 7.91 on Ubuntu 16.04
    1 x iMac server running macOS Big Sur
    WaveIO USB into Lavry DA-10 DAC
    Starfish Pre-amp : Based on NAIM NAC 72
    Heavily modified NAIM NAP 250 Power-amp
    Focal Electra 1027 Be II Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by mamema View Post
    Sure, but how? I'm a very very poor Synology user (poor means shitty interface....). As top or htop isn't included in the docker image
    gotop or bottom have binaries for most platforms. You could add one of them to your container.
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | DB Optimizer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by bobertuk View Post
    Have just tried updating to v0.0.2 and it fails to update. Have tried clearing web browser caches, uninstalling previous version and rebooting Windows 10 but no luck and now have no Database Optimizer at all. Any help appreciated.
    My semi-automated deployment re-introduced the typo I fixed yesterday - sorry about that. Should work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    My semi-automated deployment re-introduced the typo I fixed yesterday - sorry about that. Should work now.
    Still not working. Has downloaded into C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins folder but hasn't activated. Checkbox to install into plugins still showing so will go through cache cleanup and reboot again to see if that helps.
    2 x Touch
    2 x Radio
    2 x Boom
    1 x Intel-NUC server/squeezelite running LMS 8.20 (from nightlies) on Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by bobertuk View Post
    Still not working. Has downloaded into C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins folder but hasn't activated. Checkbox to install into plugins still showing so will go through cache cleanup and reboot again to see if that helps.
    Still the same. I noticed that C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins\LMSdbopt/install.xml contains <version>0.0.1</version>

Could that be the problem? Could the cache at your end contain the wrong version?
    2 x Touch
    2 x Radio
    2 x Boom