Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

pCP Network Disk Mount settings for VortexBox Appliance and LMS question

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace an ailing SB Classic via the Raspberry Pi / piCorePlayer route. I'm completely new to both, and most of the tutorials I've seen online involve music stored on a USB drive or Synology NAS units. I've been using a VortexBox Appliance with my SBs, and I need some help determining the correct Network Disk Mount settings for my VBA.

Name:  pi core network disk mount.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  44.0 KB

Could someone please let me know what I should enter for the Mount Point, Share Name, Share Type, and Options fields? I'm also a little unclear what to do with the the 'clear configuration data for unused shares' and 'maximum wait' options.

In Windows, my library is shown as \\vortexbox\files\music\flac, but I see in my VBA web interface that the file system is /storage (and my current LMS media folder is /storage/music/flac).

Once I've entered the correct Network Disk Mount settings, are there any settings on the VBA that need to be changed?

Lastly, can I continue to use the LMS installed on my VBA (using the Raspberry Pi simply as a player)? If so, do I need to do anything special to make that happen, or will setting up the share take care of that? Or alternatively, should I install LMS when setting up pCP and only use my VBA for my music files?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Kristen

If you are happy with your LMS running on the VBA then you should be setting up your pCP as a Player not as a Player/Server.
    Choose Player from the tabs at the bottom of the pCP screen.
    In that case you do not set up any shares on pCP because your pCP player (like your old Squeezebox) will be accessing the music via the LMS on VBA.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    If you are happy with your LMS running on the VBA then you should be setting up your pCP as a Player not as a Player/Server.
    Choose Player from the tabs at the bottom of the pCP screen.
    In that case you do not set up any shares on pCP because your pCP player (like your old Squeezebox) will be accessing the music via the LMS on VBA.
    Thank you, Paul. In the event I do decide to use pCP as a Player/Server, could you please confirm what the correct share settings should be?

Thanks again,
    Kristen

Mine below.

Mount point - anything you like, it's just an identifier for when you choose the folder that LMS scans.

IP address - IP address of the machine that holds your music files.

Share name - name of the folder/share where you keep your music files.

Share Type - no idea, I use CIFS.

User name - name of owner/user of the folder where you store your music files.

Password - password for above folder.

Options - a bit of a grey area, mine is - vers=1.0,uid=1001,gid=50

Name:  network.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  73.1 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Mine below.

Mount point - anything you like, it's just an identifier for when you choose the folder that LMS scans.

IP address - IP address of the machine that holds your music files.

Share name - name of the folder/share where you keep your music files.

Share Type - no idea, I use CIFS.

User name - name of owner/user of the folder where you store your music files.

Password - password for above folder.

Options - a bit of a grey area, mine is - vers=1.0,uid=1001,gid=50

Name:  network.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  73.1 KB
    As itĺs a Vortexbox it is definitely CIFS unless you have hacked it about to NFS on..... Iĺm guessing not.

You will need to use \\vortexboxIp\files\music not the music_readonly alternative otherwise the Pi will not be able to write to the playlists folder
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Thanks, kidstypike and d6jg. I've got my Pi currently working as a player. I may try burning a separate card and installing LMS on it (with help from your notes) as a learning exercise.

I've got the default analog audio working, and I've got a DAC HAT coming in a week or two. If I'm happy with the results, I may have a go at adding a touch display in a few months.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Take are when running more than one LMS on the same LAN.
    The players will discover the new instance and might or might not switch to it ... and they might or might not do that when you do or do not want them to.
    Then when you switch off the 2nd LMS you might or might not find that the players remember that the old LMS was there and they might or might not decide not to talk to the only LMS that is now running.

An exaggeration above but only slightly.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Take are when running more than one LMS on the same LAN.
    The players will discover the new instance and might or might not switch to it ... and they might or might not do that when you do or do not want them to.
    Then when you switch off the 2nd LMS you might or might not find that the players remember that the old LMS was there and they might or might not decide not to talk to the only LMS that is now running.

An exaggeration above but only slightly.
    Okay, Paul--thank you for the heads-up.