Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Indeed....so many regional expressions, variations on meanings, etc. within the same language. Now, if we describe something as "sophomoric"...well, that is a whole different kettle of fish!
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    Indeed....so many regional expressions, variations on meanings, etc. within the same language. Now, if we describe something as "sophomoric"...well, that is a whole different kettle of fish!
    Are you saying that “sophomore project” isn’t pretentious in certain quarters? I take the view that just because you know what something means that’s no reason to use it constantly when there are more generally accepted and simpler alternatives available.
    BTW sophomore project isn’t the only example it’s just a particularly annoying one (to me).

Yours faithfully,
    Grumpy old git
    Cheshire, UK
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Are you saying that “sophomore project” isn’t pretentious in certain quarters? I take the view that just because you know what something means that’s no reason to use it constantly when there are more generally accepted and simpler alternatives available.
    BTW sophomore project isn’t the only example it’s just a particularly annoying one (to me).

Yours faithfully,
    Grumpy old git
    Cheshire, UK
    Yep, that is what I'm saying. It is not heard as pretentious in my view, nor by the folks I hang out with. It's not an expression that is used constantly, but often enough that it's not unusual at all.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

What do you North Americans' consider them to be? Just asking.
    Being Canadian, I'm only 10% or less North American, so I really shouldn't try to speak for the majority.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Being Canadian, I'm only 10% or less North American, so I really shouldn't try to speak for the majority.
    First, my assumption is that the question was intended to include Canadians. Second, I don't think any of us could claim to speak for the majority, and I certainly did not try!

--another grumpy old guy (sorry, "git" does not come naturally to me) who speaks something quite different from the Queen's English and, nonetheless, dislikes "sophomore effort," regarding it as sophomoric, knowing all the while that he is NOT in the majority.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    First, my assumption is that the question was intended to include Canadians. Second, I don't think any of us could claim to speak for the majority, and I certainly did not try!

--another grumpy old guy (sorry, "git" does not come naturally to me) who speaks something quite different from the Queen's English and, nonetheless, dislikes "sophomore effort," regarding it as sophomoric, knowing all the while that he is NOT in the majority.
    Canadians are indeed North American in my book but you are definitely not American and you have produced some notable musicians that are “different” to those from a bit further south.

Here in UK we have more and more American phrases and expressions creeping into our day to day language. Being of an age where my musical taste is beyond reproach also means I cannot abide some of these expressions. For example in the past when we could visit coffee shops and the like I and my generation would say “Can I have a ....” whereas persons younger than us say “Can I get a ...” which I understand is the norm in North America.
    We watch films not movies and eat crisps not chips!
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Just played two British albums from different era.
    Average White Band / AWB from 1974
    Rag’n Bone Man / Human from 2017

As Michael has fixed Allmusic changes in MAI I read the reviews.

Both reviews presumably by contemporary American reviewers use the term “sophomore” in them. I rest my case m’Lord.

Just played two British albums from different era.
    Average White Band / AWB from 1974
    Rag’n Bone Man / Human from 2017

As Michael has fixed Allmusic changes in MAI I read the reviews.

Both reviews presumably by contemporary American reviewers use the term “sophomore” in them. I rest my case m’Lord.
    Love the "Average White Band". Back in the early 1970s I saw Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express in a relatively small club in Dallas, Texas (fantastic by the way). I was talking with one of the guys in the band at a break,* and he told me that I just had to check out this band, "Average White Band" and how good they were. I did, and they were!

*It was that kind of small club. For example, I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band there in Spring 1974 (having no clue who they were and only hearing a recommendation from a friend who had just seen them in Austin, TX). Only about 50 people in the club, but Bruce and band blew the roof off the place. I talked with Garry Tallent (bass) during the break having a drink at the bar. He was super nice and talkative about places they'd been playing on the tour (this was behind the 2nd album).
    (yes, believe it or not, Bruce was playing like a bar band....a set, then a break, then another set.)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Love the "Average White Band". Back in the early 1970s I saw Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express in a relatively small club in Dallas, Texas (fantastic by the way). I was talking with one of the guys in the band at a break,* and he told me that I just had to check out this band, "Average White Band" and how good they were. I did, and they were!

*It was that kind of small club. For example, I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band there in Spring 1974 (having no clue who they were and only hearing a recommendation from a friend who had just seen them in Austin, TX). Only about 50 people in the club, but Bruce and band blew the roof off the place. I talked with Garry Tallent (bass) during the break having a drink at the bar. He was super nice and talkative about places they'd been playing on the tour (this was behind the 2nd album).
    (yes, believe it or not, Bruce was playing like a bar band....a set, then a break, then another set.)
    That’s exactly how music should be discovered.
    AWB were, at least in their early days, about as funky as you could be even though they were from Scotland and not Detroit. Have you heard Icelandic funk band Jaguar?
    Dining Room SB Boom

That’s exactly how music should be discovered.
    AWB were, at least in their early days, about as funky as you could be even though they were from Scotland and not Detroit. Have you heard Icelandic funk band Jaguar?
    No, but I will check them out. The disconnect (in my feeble mind) between being a funk band from Scotland made the discovery even better. I've heard all sorts of music I wasn't aware of from the "what are you listening to" thread here.

edit: are they on spotify. Can't find a band named "Jaguar"
    Last edited by garym; 2021-02-27 at 15:54.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify