Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

American album reviews

I'm British and therefore like to think I have a good command of the Queens' English, both spoken and written.
    Why is that contemporary US album reviews of albums recorded 40 or 50 years ago insist on using terminology such as "sophomore project" in place of the better shorter phrase -"second album"?
    It's a fad. My goat gets it does.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Probably for the same reason that those who use "sophomore project" might be considered by Brits to be a bit of an "anorak".

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Probably for the same reason that those who use "sophomore project" might be considered by Brits to be a bit of an "anorak".

R.
    What do you North Americans' consider them to be? Just asking.
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I'm a North American, but have never called anything the "sophomore" project or effort or whatever. For me, it's always been "the second album" or "the first album" etc. I've never referred to any album as "their eponymous" album either.....
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm a North American, but have never called anything the "sophomore" project or effort or whatever. For me, it's always been "the second album" or "the first album" etc. I've never referred to any album as "their eponymous" album either.....
    Good man! :-)
    Dining Room SB Boom

Good man! :-)
    However, I can be quite pedantic with my friends. When they mention someone's first album, I'm quick to point out, that "no, that's not his/her first album....they released an earlier album 5 years before..." (often comes up when referring to Boz Scaggs or Warren Zevon's so-called "first" albums.)
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post

R.
    And here I just thought it was a raincoat!

BRITISH informal derogatory:

a studious or obsessive person with unfashionable and largely solitary interests.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

I consider them (those who consistently use terms like "sophomore project") to be pretentious.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

In our part of the US (west) we tend to use "sophomore" as an adjective to describe the "second" of something. As in his sophomore season of playing professional soccer, baseball, football, etc. But, it's not restricted to athletics or academia (sophomore year of high school or university) and could be just as easily used to describe a second album, movie, or book. The term has no pejorative meaning for us when used in those contexts.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.2 - 1612773843 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

There's a really annoying thing about language: it's constantly changing. And another annoying thing is that it changes in different ways in different places. So while I think of a particular expression as a turn of phrase that might have been clever the first time it was used but has since become overused and trite, that same way of saying something may have become the standard elsewhere.

Mea culpa. Saying that someone who uses a certain phrase is pretentious (as I just did, a few messages back) is a very pretentious thing to do.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.