Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by markiii View Post
    I favour unraid. Runs on any old PC hardware, use any old disks.
    That's my current solution. I run LMS, Plex, and a few other things on it. Works well if you have the hardware to set it up.

  2. #12
    Senior Member philchillbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    661
    An Intel Celeron NUC7 with Ubuntu on it will run the standard .deb install of LMS at a very reasonable price with a real case and PSU and SSD support...

  3. #13

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    204

    Hc2..

    Quote Originally Posted by bz31 View Post
    A fanless Odroid-HC1 with Armbian Buster
    This is almost exactly what I run and it works beautifully, but if I were starting today I'd go for an HC2 rather than HC1. The option to use full size rather than only laptop HDDs gives more choice and maximum capacity for very little additional cost.
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    This is almost exactly what I run and it works beautifully, but if I were starting today I'd go for an HC2 rather than HC1. The option to use full size rather than only laptop HDDs gives more choice and maximum capacity for very little additional cost.
    I checked this out, looks far more capable of managing a server duties than rpi4 because it's designed as a server. Perfect as a music server.

    I have given up on Windows 10 file sharing, too time consuming.

    I will look for a set up guide, as I have found free server OS very hard to set up in the past. I want simple and reliable, even if there is some set up time involved.
    Last edited by Patricia P; 2021-03-08 at 01:26.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    204

    Hc1 / hc2

    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    .... I want simple and reliable, even if there is some set up time involved.
    Definitely yes to reliable, but I'm a bit wary of saying it's 100% simple - when I set it up a couple of years back there was some trial-and-error with different combinations of Armbian's Debian / Ubuntu options due to Perl version incompatibilities with LMS, although I think that has now been resolved - I haven't had any issues with subsequent version / release upgrades with Armbian or LMS.

    My setup has an HC1 as a pretty-much dedicated LMS, with all my music stored on a 2nd partition on the HC1 drive, plus a seperate Pi4-based "generic" server running Raspbian Lite, OpenMediaVault 5, a Ubiquiti Unifi Controller, plus Emby for video files within a Docker container - so as you can see the Pi4 has much more to do than the HC1. Both seem 100% stable and neither seem overloaded (the video files are encoded to avoid the need for Emby transcoding). I don't think there's really much in it from the standpoint of ease of setup, and if you want something as near as possible to plug-and-play for LMS I'd probably recommend a Pi4 plus PiCorePlayer - or maybe the new Core32 option? I could probably have set everything up on either platform, but to be honest bought the Pi4 out of interest and just kept on adding more services to it once running.

    In my case both the HC1/LMS and Pi4/OMV Servers work fine with Windows 10 (and MacOS) as SMB/CIFS servers and I haven't hit any problems there. I think either will work equally well as an LMS base although the HC2 would definitely be neater, with fewer stray cables etc.

    Brgds

    Phil
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Definitely yes to reliable, but I'm a bit wary of saying it's 100% simple - when I set it up a couple of years back there was some trial-and-error with different combinations of Armbian's Debian / Ubuntu options due to Perl version incompatibilities with LMS, although I think that has now been resolved - I haven't had any issues with subsequent version / release upgrades with Armbian or LMS.

    My setup has an HC1 as a pretty-much dedicated LMS, with all my music stored on a 2nd partition on the HC1 drive, plus a seperate Pi4-based "generic" server running Raspbian Lite, OpenMediaVault 5, a Ubiquiti Unifi Controller, plus Emby for video files within a Docker container - so as you can see the Pi4 has much more to do than the HC1. Both seem 100% stable and neither seem overloaded (the video files are encoded to avoid the need for Emby transcoding). I don't think there's really much in it from the standpoint of ease of setup, and if you want something as near as possible to plug-and-play for LMS I'd probably recommend a Pi4 plus PiCorePlayer - or maybe the new Core32 option? I could probably have set everything up on either platform, but to be honest bought the Pi4 out of interest and just kept on adding more services to it once running.

    In my case both the HC1/LMS and Pi4/OMV Servers work fine with Windows 10 (and MacOS) as SMB/CIFS servers and I haven't hit any problems there. I think either will work equally well as an LMS base although the HC2 would definitely be neater, with fewer stray cables etc.

    Brgds

    Phil
    Hi Phil
    I've been looking at the CORE32 gateway. It's based on a processor similar to rpi2 so no gigabit Ethernet, no usb3 port. But simple to set up with prefigured samba share for a attached drive.

    It's not for me as I would love to set up picoreplayer, pihole, and maybe emby.

    I already have the rpi4 with dac and headphone amplifier running picoreplayer as a player only.

    A Linux system running docker would handle these, if I set about learning how. And I have plenty of time!

    Do you have ubiquity unifi ethernet switch? I didn't realize I could run it opensource with chocolatey.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia P View Post
    ...Do you have ubiquity unifi ethernet switch? I didn't realize I could run it opensource with chocolatey.
    No, it's for a couple of Unify Wireless Access Points. Works well for me, although their support forums are peppered with rather less happy users who utilise some of the more advanced features.

    Not sure PiCorePlayer (PCP) would work alongside anything else or under Raspbian - I tried it briefly and and although it worked very well it seemed very much aimed at people who wanted to run LMS / an SB client only, with no or minimal SD-card writes, which is neat but didn't fit my usage.

    If it's for another, less "enthusiastic" user, primarily as an LMS, then either Core32 or PCP would seem to me the more robust / straightforward answer, especially if packaged in one of the cases which can house a USB-connected disk. An HC2 with Armbian definitely works very well but I wouldn't characterise it as fire-and-forget....
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

  9. #19
    HC1 should be quieter than HC2. And the firmware of the HC1 puts the hard drive to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    113

    CORE32 Pre-built LMS Server

    As promised, see this thread https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...S-Music-Server

    ----

    Bob
    Last edited by PolyVection; 2021-03-15 at 06:41.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •