Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

**RESOLVED** Waiting for soundcard to populate failure (JustBoom Digi Hat)

With my aging SB3 going into "reboot after starting playing" mode (since fixed with a capacitor change), I looked for an alternative and found piCorePlayer. I quickly put together a system with a 7" display, an RPi 3B, a JustBoom Digi Hat and a Touch 2 case. It works brilliantly, with a couple of caveats.

Sometimes (1 in 2 times?) the boot sequence has a failure with the line:

Waiting for soundcard sndrpi.justboomd to populate......... Failed

It takes maybe 10 seconds or so for the failure to be flagged after starting to "populate". Unsurprisingly there's no sound when this happens. When the failure doesn't occur the "populate" step happens in well under a second.

Possibly related to this, as I was rebooting the system overnight each day, when I try to play something for the first time most days, the player appears connected to the server (on a different system) but refuses to play anything. The progress bar on the Now Playing screen appears but no time elapsed/time remaining are displayed and the screen just twitches when pressing the Play button on the remote. I have to reboot (usually twice because of the "populate" problem) to get sound back. I've switched off the overnight reboots to see if that makes a difference.

I'm running: piCorePlayer v7.0.1 | www v00015 | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7 | piCore v12.0pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.8-1344-pCP

Can anyone tell me or suggest:

1) What's causing the failure of the JustBoom Digi Hat initialisation?
    2) The strange lack of audio (assuming it's not due to the reboot)
    3) How do I know when there's an update for pCP/SqueezeLite? At present, I just click the update buttons in the web interface every two-four weeks.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by raichea; 2021-03-10 at 09:13.

1. Are you getting undervoltage errors?

3. [Main Page] > [Extensions] > [Available] > "pcp-squeezelite.tcz" > [Info]

You shouldn't need to update anything unless you have an known problem that is affecting you.

Thanks for the reply.

How would undervoltage be reported? I don't see anything on the screen and no messages about voltage in any of the logs in /var/log/

Click [Main Page] > [Diagnostics] > [Logs]

"undervoltage" and "dmesg" would contain the info.

Thanks again. Nothing about voltage in the diagnostics page. I'd searched dmesg when I checked the logs yesterday but was looking specifically for voltage problems. Today when I took a look at it (after the no sound problem had occurred) I found the following right at the end of dmesg:

[ 21.293020] IR NEC protocol handler initialized
    [ 21.575179] Finished piCorePlayer v7.0.1 startup.
    [11445.821785] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!
    [98665.065470] bcm2835-i2s 3f203000.i2s: I2S SYNC error!

which obviously looks suspicious. Googling around suggests it might be associated with bitrate but I don't recall ever setting it so I assume it's at the default, whatever that is.

There were a couple of other entries that may be problems:

[ 1.913082] vc_vchi_sm_init: failed to open VCHI service (-1)
    [ 1.913086] [vc_sm_connected_init]: failed to initialize shared memory service
    [ 1.913094] [vc_sm_connected_init]: end - returning -1

This seems to be video related and I'm not using video so can I assume this is OK?

The following line was repeated seven times in dmesg, spread through the last 25 or so lines (ie prior to the lines with the I2S sync error):

[ 13.107295] snd-rpi-wm8804 soc:sound: ASoC: failed to init link JustBoom Digi: -517

which also looks like a candidate but there is also a line following these:

[ 13.957051] snd-rpi-wm8804 soc:sound: wm8804-spdif <-> 3f203000.i2s mapping ok

Googling again suggests this is working as designed and the errors are while waiting for a dependency to become available, which it eventually does.

At the moment, it looks to me like the I2S sync error is probably the problem. Appreciate any thoughts.

Hmm... just had the problem again, but this time no messages about I2S syncing in dmesg.... very puzzling.

I have had the same issue.

If you have SDA and SCL from the screen connected, try to disconnect them and try again.

mick

Quote Originally Posted by newface View Post
    I have had the same issue.

If you have SDA and SCL from the screen connected, try to disconnect them and try again.

mick
    I'm using the touch screen, which I thought used SDA and SCL and thus they are connected. However, it seems that, with RPi 3B, the I2C is implemented over the DSI cable. I'll give that a go, thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by raichea; 2021-03-06 at 09:19.

Three days since I removed the unnecessary SDA/SCL wires and I haven't yet had the loss of audio problem, which was a daily occurrence with the wires connected to the display. It seems at this point that they are the cause of the problem. I'll keep monitoring to see if the error recurs, but it feels pretty solid at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion.

*** UPDATE ***
    Well, it's now a week since I disconnected the flying SCA/SDL leads to the header on the display card and not one single failure. I'm declaring this resolved - many thanks to newface.

It's a bit annoying that the way to connect the display and when and why these additional wires are required is not clearly documented anywhere that I could find.
    Last edited by raichea; 2021-03-10 at 09:13.