Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Balance

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Which also reminded me that SqueezeSlave is doing its own volume method implementation... crap. Is this still in use today?
    Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    You're probably OK to ignore SqueezeSlave. I highly doubt that anyone still uses it. Can you even get SqueezeSlave anymore?
    Yes squeezeslave binaries and source are still available. However, in the last 3 months it's only been downloaded 28 times and I've stopped supported it, so I'd consider it obsolete.

Softsqueeze, the java client, however is a bit more active at 1561 downloads in the last 3 months and I've released one update in the last 11 years.

Does this even matter for the Balance feature? If the client doesn't report the capability and they are not hardware players, the balance code path shouldn't impact them?
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Yes squeezeslave binaries and source are still available. However, in the last 3 months it's only been downloaded 28 times and I've stopped supported it, so I'd consider it obsolete.

Softsqueeze, the java client, however is a bit more active at 1561 downloads in the last 3 months and I've released one update in the last 11 years.

Does this even matter for the Balance feature? If the client doesn't report the capability and they are not hardware players, the balance code path shouldn't impact them?
    No, not really - Balance will not appear in the UI and I guess we can keep it like that
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    This may be a minefield. IIRC when developers were defining/modifiying the curve - a lot of user feedback was that fine control at very low volume was needed esp when listening at night/early morning typically in bed.
    When channels are not balanced then at some point in low volume one channel will not be heard at all. Users will have to accept that or else you'll have a complicated solution.
    ok, so I'll keep the linear solution then
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-03-02 at 10:23.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Will balance be maintained as volume is changed?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Yes, but per previous post the balance is a linear ratio between L & R while volume is a log evolution. I'll keep it like that