Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    actually, everything about cd format was kind of arbitrary in order to fit Beethoven's 9th in one single portable cd. (https://www.classicfm.com/discover-m...cd-74-minutes/). it could have been 14 or 20 bits depending on how much fit in one cd. i am sure all the engineers from sony and philips from those days are surprised that whatever they came up with 40 years ago are still the high watermark of audio technology today. i am, for sure.

more of every thing in technology from cpu power to screen resolution is good, whether you need it or not. but when it comes to audio resolution, less is good. how can this be true?
    I can ensure you that 44.1 is enough to mathematically perfectly cover 20kHz on BW which is above humans perception. 16 bits is enough to ensure a SNR and range well inside the 120 dB of human hearing (now I include pain levels).

Now, could it be 43 or 48 kHz instead? Yes. That piece is arbitrary but the point is that more does not give you anything. 18 bits? Maybe but computers use bytes and the 16 is enough, so 20 bits will not give you more.

Again, everybody is perfectly entitled to have fun building or buying complex and expensive gears. But it’s about aesthetic and hobbies, what is incorrect is to claim it is better from a signal theory’s point if view.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-02-28 at 14:46.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I
    Again, everybody is perfectly entitled to have fun building or buying complex and expensive gears. But it¬’s about aesthetic and hobbies, what is incorrect is to claim it is better from a signal theory¬’s point if view.
    Perfectly put.

The valid analogy is not a 360x240 computer screen (ewww!) but the pixel wars that went on in digital photography for a long time, and which -among many things- contributed to the demise of digital compact cameras by forcing silly upgrade cycles based on a 64mp or more sensor when the fact was the lens didn't provide anywhere near that resolution. Silly marketing. It kind of has started again with some smartphones, but that because of available CPU power and big data algorithms to *mask* the limitations of the original picture... while in audio, with 16/44 there is nothing to mask, an it's actually overkill unless the best recording equipment and know-how was applied to begin with.Now that digital cameras -even full frame- have to compete with smartphones, the megapixel was died and instead the focus is on stuff like dynamic range etc -the stuff that matters. Camera makers know even us ambitioned consumers don't really need more than 12-24mp - you can make a billboard with that, really. Pushing beyond that is cumbersome - just makes it take more time to copy and edit and process with - kinda like 24/192 or beyond audio.The key is to keep real balance between technology capabilities as a source to destination delivery mechanism. Someone mentioned a Ferrari vs a Prius... the relevant question in that scenario is whether you care if your Amazon order is delivered by either. Maybe some prefer the "Ferrari delivery" that in the end is completely irrelevant to the outcome...

Disclaimer: I *do* own some 24/192 albums, but I most certainly don't fool myself I can hear the difference, and couldn't and wouldn't care to even with a million dollar music system. At the height of my audiophile powers, I owned a system that was prolly around $80k. It sounded glorious in that room. But honestly, my current system is more "true" and accurate and gives me 200% audio satisfaction at a fraction of that cost (and those big towers sounded weird in my new place)
    . When I really want to obsess I use headphones anyhow (mandatory if you want to truly reliably hear a difference between 320k and CD, but pick your tracks well and use something like a Shure SE535 - strictly neutral stuff).
    Last edited by pablolie; 2021-02-28 at 18:02.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No shouting on this forum. My favorite forum for getting along with everyone! Regarding transparency of different codecs, In the distant past, I did some ABX (double blind) tests of lossless vs various flavors of mp3 (320kbps down to 64kbps I recall). I found most things transparent down to 192kbps (for most normal music). Certain known problem samples where one could focus on harpsichord, piano, etc. I could detect. Otherwise my choices turned out to be random guesses. But getting lower than about 160kbps I could more often tell the lossless vs the lossy. But even at 128kbps, certain "rock/pop" music was not reliably different from lossless for me. Below 128, I found it easier and easier, not unexpectedly.

I rip all my CDs to FLAC, because why not. I purchase hi-res files when that's all that's available, but not because I think they are better. I hate the fact that the Neil Young download store only seems to offer 24/192. Just bought the new "Down in the Rust Bucket" album today, and would have gladly purchased 16/44.1 if it had been available.
    Amen, btw.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Amen, btw.
    +1
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I've seen people reporting that they get 1411 kbps in there DAC:s then streaming from Spotify (Connect?).

Anyone else noticing it?
    SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
    Spare SB3
    AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
    Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    I've seen people reporting that they get 1411 kbps in there DAC:s then streaming from Spotify (Connect?).

Anyone else noticing it?
    Spotify tracks are transcoded to PCM or FLAC by LMS. Yours must be set to PCM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Spotify tracks are transcoded to PCM or FLAC by LMS. Yours must be set to PCM.

Yes, but this is from people that donít use LMS.

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Spare SB3
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Yes, but this is from people that donít use LMS.

Ah OK. Which DACs display bitrate then? Most just display sample rate.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Ah OK. Which DACs display bitrate then? Most just display sample rate.

Donít know. Itís a discussion about it on two different swedish hifi forums right now.

Spare SB3
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Donít know. Itís a discussion about it on two different swedish hifi forums right now.

Maybe Spotify are testing lossless streaming in Sweden. Don't the discussions say how they know the bitrate?