Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Transporter digital signal transfer question

As an experiment I tried feeding my TV's toslink output into the Transporter's optical input and expected the signal to appear at the coax digital output.
    It didn't.
    (It DOES appear at the analogue outputs, so it's not that the toslink input isn't working).

I had (perhaps naively) assumed that the TP would transfer any digital input signal to its digital outputs, but that seems not to be the case.
    Unless there's some configuration setting I've missed. Can anyone help?
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    As an experiment I tried feeding my TV's toslink output into the Transporter's optical input and expected the signal to appear at the coax digital output.
    It didn't.
    (It DOES appear at the analogue outputs, so it's not that the toslink input isn't working).

I had (perhaps naively) assumed that the TP would transfer any digital input signal to its digital outputs, but that seems not to be the case.
    There is a "Digital Inputs" LMS plugin for the transporter.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It didn't.

No transcoding available, only digital to analog.
    In my case for my TV set I used an headphone amplifier connected with the rca output.
    Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch
    1 X Transporter
    2 X Duet + Remote
    3 X Rpi+Picoreplayer
    2 X Chromecast
    1 X Chromecast Audio
    1 X Atoll ST100

All devives connected via CeolBOX server aka The Musical Box
    Using OrangeSqueeze and Material Skin Plug-in to remote all my connected devices.

Thanks for the replies:

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    There is a "Digital Inputs" LMS plugin for the transporter.
    Yes, I already use that, but it's not relevant to this issue - which was whether there's a way to feed the selected digital input to the digital outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by mftech View Post
    No transcoding available, only digital to analog.
    Shame. I don't want transcoding - just have whatever digital input is selected to be copied over unchanged to the digital outputs. I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't be possible in principle.

Thanks for the replies:

Yes, I already use that, but it's not relevant to this issue - which was whether there's a way to feed the selected digital input to the digital outputs.

Shame. I don't want transcoding - just have whatever digital input is selected to be copied over unchanged to the digital outputs. I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't be possible in principle.
    Transcoding means changing the type of format, SPDIF, Toslink to AES per exemple.
    Typically this a feature handle outside the DAC chip.
    Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch
    1 X Transporter
    2 X Duet + Remote
    3 X Rpi+Picoreplayer
    2 X Chromecast
    1 X Chromecast Audio
    1 X Atoll ST100

All devives connected via CeolBOX server aka The Musical Box
    Using OrangeSqueeze and Material Skin Plug-in to remote all my connected devices.

Transcoding means changing the type of format, SPDIF, Toslink to AES per exemple.
    OK, I thought you might have been referring to things like altering sample rates and bit depths.

Typically this a feature handle outside the DAC chip.
    Yes, but the Transporter is more than a DAC. It does a lot of processing in the Xilinx PGA.

We know that its firmware can decode SPDIF, Toslink and AES/EBU (because its digital inputs work).
    And we know that its firmware can encode SPDIF, Toslink and AES/EBU (because its digital outputs work).
    We even know that its effects loop can send a signal out of the digital outputs and read it back in through the digital inputs - so having both running simultaneously is possible.

So IN PRINCIPLE, it should be straightforward to receive a signal through a digital input and send it out to the digital outputs.
    I appreciate that development of the TP's firmware has now stopped so this will never happen.
    I just find it surprising that (a) it wasn't included as standard, and (b) it was never requested as an enhancement during the time when updates were still being made.

So IN PRINCIPLE, it should be straightforward to receive a signal through a digital input and send it out to the digital outputs.
    I appreciate that development of the TP's firmware has now stopped so this will never happen.
    I just find it surprising that (a) it wasn't included as standard, and (b) it was never requested as an enhancement during the time when updates were still being made.
    This issue was discussed when Trasporter was launched and many time afterwards.
    For example.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ts-and-outputs