Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB3 quality of headphone output...

Set up a spare SB3 as a headphone amp in my bedroom to chill as I got to sleep, with Shure SE315s. I change my opinion on how well it sounds from track to track, prolly due to the monitor nature of the Shure in ears?

Any strong opinions on the quality of the headphone output on the SB3 from other users? I think I have a good headphone up somewhere, will also do some experimentation on my own.

Cheers!
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Set up a spare SB3 as a headphone amp in my bedroom to chill as I got to sleep, with Shure SE315s. I change my opinion on how well it sounds from track to track, prolly due to the monitor nature of the Shure in ears?

Any strong opinions on the quality of the headphone output on the SB3 from other users? I think I have a good headphone up somewhere, will also do some experimentation on my own.

Cheers!
    https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.p...headphone_jack

edit: the first line at that link states: "The headphone jack on the Squeezebox2 and Squeezebox3/Squeezebox Classic should be used to power low-end headphones only."
    Last edited by RobbH; 2021-02-22 at 11:46. Reason: adding more
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Thank you - guess I'll unearth my old Creek headphone amp, I know it's in one of my moving boxes :-D
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Thank you - guess I'll unearth my old Creek headphone amp, I know it's in one of my moving boxes :-D
    It look like it depends on how hard the headphones are to drive. What is the impedance of your headphones? My Grado SR60s are only 32 Ohms but Sennheisers tend to be much higher.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk