Need Help with a Curious USB A to B Cable with Squeezeite Settings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

There are a number of "Maybe the USB cable is bad?" posts on various Pi forums.

A few of them seem to be fixed by either upgrading s/w (especially firmware) or downgrading from Buster.

Comment

• jeroen2
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by chill
      But it works on the Macbook. I wonder if different chipsets handle the link negotiation differently. Maybe the Pi uses only a fixed data rate, whereas the Macbook might do some sort of adaptive rate? Is that possible?
      I love the fact that you guys are even discussing this. But.... I would think it's up to the person selling $500 USB cables to explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Surely they must have a much deeper understanding of the inner workings of USB than any of us earthlings.

Comment

• bpa
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jeroen2
        I love the fact that you guys are even discussing this. But.... I would think it's up to the person selling $500 USB cables to explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Surely they must have a much deeper understanding of the inner workings of USB than any of us earthlings.
        The "Maybe the cable is bad" seems to have appeared for other Pi4 users with ordinary cables - so it might be an ordinary issue as well as a Audiophile one.

Comment

• d6jg
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bpa
          The "Maybe the cable is bad" seems to have appeared for other Pi4 users with ordinary cables - so it might be an ordinary issue as well as a Audiophile one.
          That is true but us Earthlings would just pull another £5 cable from our box of cables and move on. Spending $350+ on a cable is IMO obscene. Send it back, buy one for $5 and give the money saved to the local food bank.
          Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
          Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
          Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
          Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
          Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
          Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
          Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by d6jg
            That is true but us Earthlings would just pull another £5 cable from our box of cables and move on. Spending $350+ on a cable is IMO obscene. Send it back, buy one for $5 and give the money saved to the local food bank.
            I'm not backing the cable - I'm curious about possible Pi4 h/w issues. I have aPi4 where the Wifi will drop after a few hours if screen resolution is set too high - a bug which apparently has been fixed yet still happens on my Pi4.

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by bpa
              I'm not backing the cable - I'm curious about possible Pi4 h/w issues. I have aPi4 where the Wifi will drop after a few hours if screen resolution is set too high - a bug which apparently has been fixed yet still happens on my Pi4.
              We know you are not bacxking the cable bpa! There are undoubtedly some bugs in the Pi kernel but you can hardly expect the foundation to go investing $$$ in this sort of edge case to test a USB cable. Given the price point of a Pi and its stated raison d'etre its just not going to be on the list of expected use cases. WiFi - different matter altogether.
              Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
              Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

Working...